Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

OH has made a good point there. More countries, especially host nations , provided significant funding as the UK did for 2012. You can see the correlation on how well Japan did in their home Olympics and likewise France. Obviously, the more nations who increase their gold medal hauls, this will impact other nations.

I heard that melt Laura Kenny make a significant point with regard the Track cycling in that all nations had to share what race equipment they were going to use with all other nations for the first time, which leads me to believe they were gaining a significant advantage in their equipment, based on only they got 1 gold medal this time around. I'm sure their are more Cycling fanatics who could say exactly what sort of gains their equipment may have had(or not had)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I would be shocked if the money the GAA got from the government was 10% of the money the GAA raise for the excheque annually; mainly through VAT for matchdays on petrol, hospitality industry, public transport, matchday staff.

This idea that the GAA are supported by the state is ass backwards.

The horse racing industry claims it makes 2.? Billion a year for the government.

The soccer industry claims somewhere between 600 million and 1 billion.

The GAA moves people far more than those two so god only knows what they are generating for the economy.

yet we have to hear nonsense that the government supports the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is how it should be, going forward. Doesn't need to be as elaborate. This project is an initiative of The Athletic Club, The GAA and the local municipal districts north and south. I think the soccer club was initially involved but opted out of trusteeship although they are users in a major way. Two soccer clubs the GAA and athletics use it as well as a multitude of other sports and the general public. This multi use, shared running cost model is the only sustainable way forward. I'm told this facility has confounded the business plan and is way ahead of projections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Gaa are like the people who say , that's jimmy down the road in meath, yer know, the blow in from dublin. He's been living there for 40 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bump, thread stuck for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the simple fact is that there are more Gaa clubs than any other type of club in the county and it’s inevitable that they will get the lions share of funding……don’t think there is any government biased-ness towards them. Also, Gaa soccer and rugby being team sports will always attract more kids as opposed to more solitary sports such as swimming, rowing, etc where a lot of the training is done in very small groups or alone..?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

People should view GAA as an advantage anyway.

They take in kids at under 6s now and train them so that's a head start on lots of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nermal

Laughable that they're not using standardised equipment, really. Who's competing here, athletes or manufacturers?

I was shocked when she said it. More shocked that it was not standardised across the board, moreso for the Olympics. There is significant advantages to be had in AERO tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Ceepo

While in principle,you're right, the Olympics will inspire less people than Gaa Rugby or soccer,but that doesn't mean other sports shouldn't get a piece of the funding pie. Fundamentally people are physiologically different. Not everyone has the eye hand coordination required for hurling, or the physical attributes to be a rugby player.

If you look at the huge number of events in Athletics you will see the difference between say a 100/200m runner and a 200/400m runner, yet both are classed as sprints. Similar to the 1500m , some people move between 800m and 1500m and some between 1500m and 5000m. This is dependent on muscle type and aerobic capacity.

If by Only funding the main team sports you mentioned, you're doing a disservice to a whole other coherent of sports people.

And while putting money into sports can have a huge physical benefits in terms of health, it's important to remember that there is also huge benefit to mental health as well. So JUST putting a focus on a a small number of sports (although it represents a big number of people) you're excluding a huge number of other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

So mentioning in her African heritage is racism according to some (because it implies she's not fully Irish), and now not mentioning it is also wrong.

It's very hard to keep up with all the rights and wrongs of identity politics , just shows you that people who indulge in it all the time are cranks who are just hoping to be offended so they can have another thing to complain about.

They get a bit annoyed when they don't get their "gotcha" moment. Something to be enraged about. You know the type. Only happy when they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nadeem the guy who won gold at the javelin had to ask someone a few months ago to buy him a javelin so he could practice, the clip on Wion showed his village and its like something from 100 years ago with just the most basic of facilities.

That he was able to compete with athletes from countries with unlimited resources at their disposal and win is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The three most watched events on TV in Ireland during the Olympics were Kellie Harrington's win, Adeleke's 400m final and the women's relay final (in that order).

Not a surprise that Kellie and Rhasidat were the two main draws for TV viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The UK national lottery has been running since 1994. It was not set up to fund Olympic sport.

Kellie's fight was on a Tuesday night rather than a weekend night so easier to watch for people.

I'm guessing that includes RTE player views.

I would've thought the 4x400 girls would be highest.

I don't see why people bring up race with Rhasidat.

Just enjoy her while we have her. She's a once off talent I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What do you mean a one off talent, there is no reason why we can't have an athlete who is just as talented in the future.

Yeah it's possible but we haven't had another Sonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭coffey87

Sonia came through when there was no national structures in place for training or talent identification. I'd hope these are someway in place now, so that its not every 30/40 years a world class talent comes from Ireland. Although, I have no idea what structures Athletics Ireland have in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

hard not to bring up race as a runner. Weh weh weh

There's also much more distractions and other sports competing with athletics.

GAA and soccer weren't big with girls back then but now they're huge. I think most girls play one or both.

I'm just saying there's no guarantee we'll get another Sonia or Rhasidat. There's a 20 year gap between them when we didn't have much. Thomas Barr and Derval and Cathal and a few others.

I'm old enough to remember the whole country would stop to watch Sonia as we didn't have anyone else to shout for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Seadin

Where was the black 100m runner for the Olympics? Israel I think his first name was? Was he injured? He ran a 10.17 when he first hit the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Israel Olatunde - he seems to have slightly lost form since 2022 and hasn't progressed as well as Rhasidat….he's very much still around though and still competing but didn't qualify for Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Poland announced all gold and silver medalists will get a free apartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do the volleyball team have to share :)

May cause grumblings from their bronze medal winners.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Indo with its finger on the pulse…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Seadin

He would probably have to be able to run 9.7 or 9.75s to be in contention of medals in Olympics in the 100m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Tippman24

I took a look at olympics 2036 and saw that canvessing was already underway at Paris Olympics. There was a piece on the Guardian about it citing India, Indonesia, Egypt and Saudi Arabia as having offices set up in Paris to meet and greet members of the IOC.

For info I also read that Berlin will be putting in a bid for the 2040 games having got the agreement of the Federal Government to support same. Initially the city was bidding to host the 2036 gamrs but Gover ment would not do so given the hosting of Berlin of the 1936 Olympics. The agreement was signed to great fanfare at the German site at Paris Olympics. (Will have to bring the Zimmer Frame).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hehe, Berlin '36 part II.

Advertisement