Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Irish mens Skiff leading after race 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This pidcock fella is a machine! Still a chance at gold despite puncture.

The women's mountain bike race yesterday was also very enjoyable.

Nadal staging a late rally in the second set against Djokovic by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Women's Sevens Team did well against Australia, like the men's team the strategy seems to be to keep possession for as long as possible rather than take any risks, also like the men's team their defense is their achilles heal which explains the keeping possession strategy. We had loads of the ball and still lost because Australian defense is superior. We could well meet them again in quarters.

I am fed up of our equestrian teams, we send them to very olympics probably at huge expense and they never do anything. Dressage is a huge historic weakness and why bother going if you never sort out that part.

As for medal chances, Wiffen has good chance at gold, Mona has a real shot at silver and in my opinion her worst case scenario is fourth. The South African is the best in the field and then two medals from three should come from Mona, the Chinese girl and the American.

Other medal hopes, Dickson and Waddilove are currently second in their class in the sailing but a long way to go.

Rhys has a great shot at gold on pommel horse.

Boxers may bring home 2 or 3 medals but may bring none, often comes down to judging.

We have a good gold chance in the rowing with O'Donovan and McCarthy, and a few other medal chances like doyle/lynch and corrigan/tominey and maybe murtagh/keogh and women's four.

Rhasidat has a chance to medal but in a togh field she will do well to get bronze, I fear our relay and mixed teams will not qualify for the final let alone win a medal if she is not in the team. I don't think Ciara will medal as there are some very good African runners in her field.

We have medal chances in the cycling road race (Healy) and in the men's and women's golf (Lowry/Mcllroy/Maguire) but huge world-class fields in those events so it's a big ask.

None of our teams will medal i.e. hockey, mens and womens sevens.

We may be fortunate and nick something in showjumping but again there will be a huge field and it would be a surprise.

I may have missed some medal chances as I am thinking off the top of my head, for example we may have other cycling medal outside shots or some other events I have forgotten.

10 medal + = great olympics

8/9 medals = very good

6/7 medals = OK, on target

4/5 medals = a little disappoining

3 or less = poor

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kellie on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Defending Champion Kellie Harrington going now…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Oooof Pidcock, dirty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sailing skiff still lead after race 5, themselves and Australia opening a small gap on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Incredible mountain bike race, Koretzky is going to be sick though he threw that away in the end.

Amazing comeback from Pidcock...puncture and he still won it!

Nadal out.

• Advertisement

Hugh Cahill. Do your research. Estelle Moseley 2016 LW champion was beaten Saturday. She’s not still in this.

Jajaira Gonzalez of the United States defeated France’s Estelle Mossely, the 2016 Olympic gold medalist, Saturday night in the opening round of the boxing tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,559 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some finish. Bit of an Anquetil v Poulidor moment in the decisive move.

He's the Ryan Tubridy of Sports commentating… useless (even sounds like Tubridy).

Ever hear him commentate on teh rugby? it's like he's watching a different match to the rest of us…

Harrington didn't even need to shift out of 1st gear to win that comfortably…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

The mountain bike race was phenomenal - the course looked amazing too and the camera work.

The course is class isnt it, the women's race yesterday was fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 boxers within one win of medal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

You should listen to him presenting the Horse Racing, you summed it up perfectly, he's the Tubridy of RTE in Sports. He's a sexist prik too.

I vaguely remember Ted Walsh calling him a muppet live on air and speaking to Ruby about him a few years ago he had somewhat similar comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Great achievement by Liam Jegou. He has already made the final. Not that you would know from RTE.

• Advertisement

Is interview after the first round was brilliant for it's honesty. The interviewer was trying to to build him up and he was just very straight up about how poor and lucky he was to still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭gigantic09

And now they're going back to the feckin horses even though we have no competitors left 🤷

Thank god for Eurosport. Still haven't seen a horse since that one going up the Seine.

The Canoe final is on in hour and half too.

No mention of it on rte. Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Thought Pidcock might have gotten penalised for the collision, great comeback though. The TdF endurance stood to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

They won't show that, they have this bollox horse jumping on. That about a few hundred people might have interest in with no chance of Ireland winning a medal

Yes, I would have no complaints if they were even within outside chance of medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The team archery is brilliant

Advertisement