Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gestin wow! Outstanding stuff.

Shame for Jegou.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wow just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's a terrific run by Gestin. He's annihilated the field, by around 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭klose

French lad absolutely demolished the field there wow

I wonder has Gestin been able to practice on this course. For a home town French athlete to win by such a margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Jegou would have a silver in his pocket if didn't screw up at the end and hit the gate…didn't see others run into trouble at the later gates so that's a great pity because he was excellent up to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mentioned during the event that a few of them practiced on the course. Think the Pole was one.
    Mad that Jegou would have a silver without the penalty.,

7th for Jegou, but it could have easily been 2nd. Even just take away the 2 second penalty and it would have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭sonic85

Who are these people interviewing the Irish after their performances? They're bloody terrible

Whoever was interviewing Jegou shouldn't be let near a microphone again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jegou had the 4th fastest time without penalties. Very exciting event.

• Advertisement

No point showing the tennis if it's not live, I know the result of Djokovic v Nadal. It would eat up too much time I guess to show it all live.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

what did they say?

I heard kellie harrington being interviewed by someone at RTE after her win, and the interviewer said she was surprised to see Kellie do a lot of switch-hitting. Kellie looked puzzled for a second and then said she had been switch-hitting since the womb and is known for it.

Really? I took a little break and come back to see they've gone to ads. They couldn't have shown much of that tennis match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Must have been Joe Stack interviewing her. Another one who hasn't a breeze what he's talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I know it's only the 3rd day, but RTÉ's coverage so far has been shambiloc…. (mostly watching today on RTÉ as my office TV only has Saorview). Cutting back to the studio almost immediately after the AUS-IRL Rugby 7's game ended to talk about it rather that stay with the video feed for the on field reactions… talk about it yes, but we don't need to be looking at those speaking in the studio (the Freddie Mercury lookalike!!), stay with the video feed from Paris….. make us feel like we're there… Same with almost anything they show live, they always cut back to the studio ASAP!!! Why?? These athletes are going through some serious emotions after events are won/lost.. and part of the magic of the Olympics is seeing those moments…. you almost remember them moments as much as the event itself… Eurosport seem to have nailed it so far.

Speaking of ads, the few times I am watching something on RTÉ, and they go to their inevitable 'short ad break', I'm seeing the TV Licence ad a lot…..

They're laughing in our faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭bren2001

Can the mods just stop people complaining about the RTE coverage? It is what is is and constantly complaining about it every 5 minutes does SFA.

Chinese gymnast having a nightmare on the high bar...came off...twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great finish here team final gymnastics

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Hard not feel bad for him, teammates were disgusted and weren't offering any support

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Okay, I've pulled on my speedos and stretched on the swim cap; hopefully the John and Nick Show is also ready to go and surely they have had at least 3 pints since dinner in anticipation of a medal tonight. All this complaining about RTE won't matter if Mona makes the podium— really hope she does it as there will be bedlam from the comms. They have been among the highlights of the coverage so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Mens surfing competition is class. found it on Peacock, in the US

Very hard to watch.

Japan take the gold....China silver....USA bronze...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

commentary could be epic if we get a medal🙏🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That was very casual of Collins saying the skiff team got disqualified in race 6 after a Spanish objection. That means their discard score is 21 now instead of 9. This means any bad race will now count out of the last 6 races before the medal race. Collins kinda brushed it off by saying they remain in 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The Olympics are class though.That gymnastics was compelling TV as was the canoeing earlier,and now we have the swimming and more rugby 7s.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nightwing1862

It was a joint bid between Discovery and the EBU so it depends on the terms that they've hammered out between them. The timezones may work in the EBUs favour for LA and Brisbane as the viewing demand should be lower.

I don't think we're ever going back to the days of unlimited free to air streams of all the sports that we saw in 2012. Discovery paid around €1.3billion for the broadcast rights for the 2018-24 summer/winter games Europe. NBC paid $7.75billion for the 2022-2030 summer/winter games in the US. They're price tags that are just completely beyond what a public broadcaster can justify.

The same rights issues were around for Tokyo but the time difference meant that they weren't as obvious. The IOC mandated that 200hrs should be available free to air when they did the deal with Discovery. Some broadcasters struck deals with them in turn for more coverage but the results varied greatly based on negotiating power.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/olympics-discovery-broadcasting-coverage-europe-1235028460/

Definitely so much drama, part of the joy is watching sports you never really see like mountain biking has been absolutely class.

Mona McSharry in the 100m breaststroke could be our first medal hopefully will be glued to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭griffin100

Getting excited now.

Ellen Walshe has done fantastically to get to a final in the hardest swimming event. The 400IM is an absolute killer.

I’d love Mona to medal. I think she’ll be up against it (4th or 5th) but I have everything crossed and hope I’m wrong. If Ireland were to win only one medal in these olympics and I had to pick the athlete it’d be Mona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hold My Hand

I’m fierce excited for the swimming tonight. Great to be competitive.

Advertisement