Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,498 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thought Gallagher nicked rd 2.. lost rd 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The judging in the boxing has yet again been atrocious.

Very close, but not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

unlucky for Gallagher that was a tough opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I only half watched it, and I know little about boxing, but the Irish coach was not happy at all with that decision…. justified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,569 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think practically everything except soccer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Pre determined from the judges!

The terrible judging in the 2nd forced Gallagher to fight a way he didn't want to. How the other lad won that 2nd on all cards is a disgrace. Not the only horrible judging I've seen so far, GB had two of their boxers absolutely robbed in my view.

No, very close fight…Funny, rd 1 for me was easiest to score, and it was the opponent who won it, yet 2 of 5 scored to Jude. I thought Jude nicked rd 2 and won rd 3, but you can't nick rds. You need to win rds…

Let's hope we don't start this sour grapes "we were robbed" nonsense

• Advertisement

On the one hand it's bad for Ireland but you can see why boxing is in danger of being dropped from the Olympics. It's corrupt to the core and then you have insane nonsense like biological men being allowed to fight against women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭Big Ears

High level fight, Gallagher was possibly a little unlucky not to get it but he boxed very well.

The ref wasn't going to give a warning in that final round no matter how many times he had to caution Paalam. I think it was 5 cautions he gave (4 for holding), and even at the very end of the bout he was shouting "no holding" while looking at Palaam.

That's the benefit when you know you're ahead I suppose.

I'd like to see Gallagher turn over, he's a fantastic prospect.

Not at all….unless you want to include round 1s score as well? Fight very close, but was an ok decision. Nothing wrong

Kenny and Bernard have no issue with the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Some of it would also come down to the national association and the levels of support they give. We talk a lot about how some of the Irish federation are poor. I'm certainly no fan of Athletics Ireland, but they're way better than English Athletics. EA are loosing money hand over fist, and as such didn't send a few athletes that had qualified under the Olympic qualifying criteria.

Alex Yee is a prime example. He had made a few GB teams (Euro champs) and was probably good enough to make the athletics team, but decide to concentrate on triathlon after they supported him better.

Great interview from Jude. Proper sportsman!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Boxer seems like a sound lad, best of luck to him going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Volleyball not the best viewing spectacle aesthetically. Darker court needed or something, especially with the yellow ball

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Happyhouse22

49er race on discovery plus now. Ireland doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭griffin100

I see one of the GB swimmers was DQ'ed this morning in the 200 back after he came up after the 15m marker following his last turn. If a kid did that in a club race their coach would have a canary. Can't have much sympathy for an elite swimmer who makes that sort of basic mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Certainly more 50m pools in GB, that's for sure, so the practicality of staying on the island rather than flying or sailing to GB must be the answer. Cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yup, BBC still the gold standard in sports coverage, even when they have less and less to play with. BBC London 2012 was amazing

Yes, I thought Gallagher bixed/fought quite well. He did bit of everything and really pressed to win. Very good opponent. Very close fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Not true. If you want to watch the Olympics, discovery plus is the gold standard. Can watch anything you want and no unnecessary chat like the BBC and RTÉ. Also, obviously the BBC will be focusing on British athletes but if you don't care about them then the coverage is very poor and you miss loads of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This is a cliche that gets trotted around all the time but truthfully BBC's sports coverage is woeful and has been for a few years, they have almost no interest in broadcasting sports anymore.

Europe sports coverge has been excellent because they've not had loads of filler talk and just show the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I think poster is reffering to the Olympics, well i assume they are because yes, generally they don't cover much sport nowadays (Primarily because they are priced out of most things)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Another average race for the Irish Skiff, USA closing the gap on bronze. Great race for New Zealand with Spain having a poor run also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

NZ - 51

Spain- 51

Ireland - 57

USA - 60

10 out of 12 races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Skiff standings after race 10… another poor race from Ireland

Our last 3 races have been woeful.

Advertisement