Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At this point I'd consider dumping all/most of the sports where humans get to decide who wins or loses…

In rowing, running, swimming and a host of other sports, there is no doubt or question as to who has won as it's simply a case of who finished 1st/fastest/jumped highest/longest, or how many goals/points they scored etc… All measurable metrics that can't be disputed, but when you are relying on a human to decide a score based on what they've seen, then I'm afraid its open to manipulation, and therefore not definitive who actually won.. (unless it's blindingly obvious, but even then we are seeing boxers lose fights that they've clearly not lost).

Mind you if Rhys wins gold on the pommel horse (decided/judged by humans), I'll gladly take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Has anyone any interest at all in watching the golf? I don't know why RTE are showing it. Long, drawn out, boring sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,288 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Absolutely.
    This version is crazy and very ignorable. Just another golf tournament really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭PressRun

I like watching the niche sports like BMX, table tennis, skateboarding etc. These are things I don't see very often and the skills of which I wouldn't necessarily be familiar with, so it's nice to watch and learn about something different. I've no interest in looking at football, tennis or golf which already get huge amounts of coverage and for which the athletes are getting paid millions.

That all said, I wouldn't say it's "out of control". Nobody is being forced to watch, follow or even care about any event that is being held. It's just sporting entertainment. You can opt in or opt out.

Will be interesting to see Stade de France in it's new guise as an athletics arena, only a few days after the Rugby finished.

I've been there 3 times now and it really is a fantastic stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'll give a more detailed breakdown later on the Athletics on who is a great bet at this Olympics as i have been following most event over the last couple of years.

If conditions are favourable, expect plenty of OR/WR. It is a "quick" track. Mondo DuPlantis will break the Pole Vault world record. I'm sure of that.

The first final tonight, 10000m mens is fairly open, anyone of 6 could win.

I wouldn't be a huge golf fan, but I'd enjoy watching the Ryder Cup, and any of the majors final rounds (but only if there was Irish interest), so for the Olympic golf, I've no interest really, but on the Sunday, if Lowry or McIlroy are in with a shout of medalling, then I'll be all over it. If no Irish interest on the last day, I really couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looks like we're going to have London 2012 type crowds - David Gillick reports the stadium is already full.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,823 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Good point about the human element… I think no new ones should be added.

Golf as others have noted, change the format or drop it.

There may be logistical issues but maybe run off most of the rugby, soccer, tennis, golf before the Olympics starts 'proper' and just have the finals overlapping. These are 'long' events, games can take hours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

watched the bmx racing yesterday for the first time this olympics

It was hard to turn off, really exciting to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Feels like christmas morning…

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Hold My Hand

I love the athletics but there’s a yummy Italian in the diving and softly spoken Matthew at the rowing. Decisions. Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Irish lad running now. 1500m.

Might do well.

Throw in a long weekend to top it all off. I couldn't care less what the weather does the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 34,393 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's right. It would be 1 v 1 top 64 players

6 matches to win gold would be tough to do would least make medal more worthy.

Stroke play for me is stupid unless its gold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I only watch the sports that I do not normally watch from day to day.

Golf, Soccer, Tennis, etc, no thank you.

Irish fella falling back in the field.

Christ he'll finish last by the looks of it.

He never really had a chance of qualifying. It's rare to get too many surprises in the Athletics.

• Advertisement

9th. Better than it was looking but won't get through.

Anytime I'm watching any sort of big athletics meet, I always think of Jerry Kiernan and his almost encyclopaedic knowledge as well as his genuine passion for the sport. Absolutely loved watching him as a pundit when he was around.

I'm sure wherever Jerry is, he's looking down & rubbing his hands together this morning with the start of the athletics, and Irish prospects. Jerry would have been in his element this week.

RIP Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Doyle recovered well in the last 200m, Kerr is different class though.

Him vs Ingebretsen will be box office

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I like golf, especially the majors but not willing to give up the whole day to watch it when there's

far more exciting events on.

He won't win it this time around though. Ingebritsen is a different beast this year. Expect him to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

There's actually lots on at the moment that I like watching, it's hard to choose! Swimming, diving, athletics, rowing and archery!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭archfi

Doyle has another chance in the rowing-like new repechage in athletics according to the commentator

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I always love seeing the brits not getting gold. They are so disappointment in commentary. Good viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭archfi

Luke McCann up next in the 1500m

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

McCann on now. Will he get through?

Advertisement