Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What solution for outdoor ebike charging?

• 24-07-2024 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭

I've an electrician coming tomorrow to install an outdoor fuse board and from that connect the new DWWTS and an EV wallbox, which will be post mounted.

I also want to build an ebike shelter with a sheffield stand and a post-mounted charge point at it. My ebike has a fairly normal transformer brick with a 3-pin plug at one end proprietary connector at the other.

Obviously I can get an outdoor socket installed but that won't have space for the transformer brick.

Is there a single enclosure that I can post-mount to contain the socket and transformer brick, or should I plan for two enclosures, or…?

This is cool but doesn't solve the problem of where to put the transformer:

https://madebylandmark.com/product/e-bike-charging-post-spina

I've run ESB ducting at 600mm everywhere for the SWA so that bit's sorted at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Could you just put a waterproof/covered 'cradle' on the post to hold the transformer off the ground when in use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I suppose I could make something, it just seems like this ought to be a solved problem.

There's this kind of thing:

https://greatebike.eu/powerbox-charging-station-for-electric-bicycles

but it's ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I imagine an outdoor cabinet should do the job like below. Put a couple of sockets inside with an RCBO for protection, plus the power brick and run the cable out through one of the glands to the bike

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hylec-ip65-weatherproof-outdoor-enclosure-250mm-x-150mm-x-350mm/7766g#product_additional_details_container

Maybe have an external isolator so you can turn the cabinet off when not being used?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

When you say outdoor fuse board where's that going or where's it being wired from

It's being wired direct from the main consumer unit with a continuous 22m length of 3x16 SWA.

It's being wired to various things around the site with various thicknesses of ducted SWA

• Advertisement

Perfect, thanks. Does it have to be min 750mm off the ground?

No idea tbh, you'll need an electrician to tell you that

It's IP rated, and I've seen weatherproof sockets lower than 750mm so you might be okay

You'd probably want the box around that height anyway if the shelter permits it so that the cable is easy to access

One thought, if you route the cable through a waterproof gland then the plug will effectively be outside always. You'll want some weatherproof cover and probably a hook to ensure water and dirt doesn't get into the plug when the bike isn't there

Basically a similar idea to how your EV charger will have some sort of plug cover

Was watching a camping video recently and thought this might also work as a solution

https://amzn.eu/d/0f77tWrv

It'll be something like that anyhow with a rotary isolator mounted to the side for switch-off/isolation

Isolators have a regulation height, think it's 4-1600mm so I'd probably go with that for height

I ended up deciding on these:

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/wall-boxes/2698765 https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-ip66-13a-1-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/35096

The transformer will be in the terminal box and the mains cable from that will go into the outdoor socket, and the power cable out to the ebike.

I'll mount the box sideways so that it fits within the width of the 100mm wooden post.

There's enough room in the terminal box to fit another transformer if we get a second e-bike.

Do I need an isolator for this outdoor socket? Presumably not since the switch is accessible, being outside the sealed terminal box, so if the transformer goes on fire it can simply be switched off at the socket.

I will also have a trip switch on the outdoor fuse board (about 15m away) in case the ebike is engulfed in a charging fireball.

(the sparks hasn't been yet as I wasn't ready for him last week, so this is obvs all caveated by his sign off)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good setup, I agree you probably don't need an isolator since the switched sockets are accessible

You don't need to isolate an accessible socket

I would have fitted a rotary isolator and box with socket + equipment inside

The reason I decided to put the socket outside the box is so that I can use it for other stuff like the electric hedgetrimmer or whatever. If I put the socket inside the box I need a box with a door, and the box needs to be bigger, and then I need an isolator, so I end up with three components for the same outcome as two, and it's less secure.

Also, if I plug in a pressure washer I'd need to keep the door open and then I'd end up washing stuff that shouldn't be washed.

But maybe I'm missing something, technically.

Won't matter all that much but in that case I would fit a separate socket for general use and isolator (for box only) outside

Socket and equipment inside IP55 box with screwed/hinged lid depending on access needed

But that's me , 30yrs experience saying it's the way to go anyhow, but can be wrong as we do

I'm sure you're right! I'm just trying to educate myself.

I think the merit of your proposal is that (a) you don't have what's essentially an indoor cable permanently hanging down and then into an external socket, and (b) you get a permanently available secondary socket which doesn't require unplugging the bike charger.

I guess the socket in the box would be quite compact as it doesn't need to be IP rated (cos it's in an IP rated box). And then if I want two transformers in the box I can use a double socket rather than doing unclean things like double-headed cables.

I'll discuss with sparks, thanks again.

Its mostly for ease of switch-off if needed

On /off with an outdoor socket is messier than a simple rotary isolator

It's also a tidier job overall

A socket for "general use" can be mounted beside isolator and is independent of the e-charging setup

Advertisement