Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Airside Clamping Their Customers Now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

Given that the OP was a customer of B&Q, I'd say an appeal would succeed. I would also complain to B&Q and tell them you'll be warning your friends etc about shopping there. Ultimately B&Q are tenants who are being provided with a parking service. If they lose customers, they'll complain to APCOA etc.

Agree re APCOA modus operandi. My MIL was ticketed by them in apay and display car park they operate for the local council for parking outside the white lines of the individual parking space. Thing is, there were no individual spaces marked out in the car park - just ummarked tarmac. The appeal to NTA was successful (included pics of car park)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Squatman

return your paint to pay the fine. never shop there again. support local

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They weren't a customer when they were clamped, they admitted they were in a meeting in a different location when they were clamped. They should of used that places car park but they chanced their arm and parked illegally in a different companies car park and got caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's a shame that the thread title hasn't been changed by now. B&Q don't own or run this carpark. Their name should be removed from the title of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And when clamped, the OP wasn't even a customer of theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Carfax2

Posted here as much to make others aware that this is a policy in Airside as to seek advice/ opinion.

It feels like at best sharp practice and at worst fraudulent behaviour from clampers trying to make their minimums by targeting customers on a weekday afternoon.

LMFAO; "dangerously wrong" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is why I avoid miserable outlets and stick to towns, city centres & try to support local.

Look at the state of the place, built as a lazyman's paradise… acres of parking, terrible walking infrastructure (I know this as my car was stuck in there for a short repair that turned in to a few hours). And then they start monitoring peoples actions to rip them off a little bit more. They've literally banished any form of pedestrian activity by punishing people for walking from shop to shop along with their Nazi "DO NOT WALK ON THE GRASS" signs.

They should delete the "ON THE GRASS" part of the sign. This place is where retail fun went to die from obesity & sly scams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP have you checked that the signage locations and number are to the correct standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just saw this and I'm confused. Is it the case that Airside isn't one big retail park and that if you park by say B&Q and walk up to Smyths (or vice versa) to make a purchase there, that you can be clamped?

No, the OP is the confused one.

Airside itself, as in from Smyths to B&Q, is one retail park and you can park anywhere in it.

If you walk out across to Hogs & Heifers, or Premier Inn, or on to the Swords Express, you'll be clamped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

OP left the retail park and went to the cafe beside the hotel across the road.

Starbucks or McDonald's within Airside might've been better places to have a coffee/meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Confusion is pretty understandable when the address of Hogs and Heifer & Premier Inn is listed as Airside Retail Park.

It's an absurd situation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There are huge signs explaining the parking rules.

Like the M50 toll, if someone manages to miss huge signs when driving, should they be driving at all?

Posters are saying they 'left' the retail park. They didn't.

You said: "Airside itself, as in from Smyths to B&Q, is one retail park and you can park anywhere in it."

These properties are in Airside retail park, so you can't park anywhere in it can you?

Yes, people need to watch out for the signs, to avoid falling foul of it, but it is an absurd situation.

Your attempt to split hairs over a postal address here isn't going to work.

The area Hogs & Heifers is in is not in the retail park; and has its own pay parking - excepting a small number of free spaces for H&H customers only.

They left the retail park, for a considerable period, going to somewhere else which has pay parking that they could have used.

That's the facts of the matter; despite the inaccurate thread title and further inaccuracies in their screeds of attempted justifications.

It is in the retail park, as per its address. Therefore, they did not leave the retail park, they didn't go somewhere else, they were still in Airside Retail Park. It is factually false to state that they left the retail park.

The retail park has absurd parking rules and is split in two, and the OP fell foul of that absurd situation. But they did not leave the retail park.

It having "Retail Park" in the address does not mean it is actually in the retail park; which is across a busy road and has massive signs explaining its own, specific, parking rules

You being extremely pedantic to try and prove, erm, something? nothing? - isn't helping anyone.

It seems obvious that the OP didn't want to pay for parking at the Premier Inn and got caught.

Normally it would though.

Nothing "extremely pedantic" about pointing that out.

They are in "Airside Retail Park" but not "actually in the retail park" - read that back to yourself.

That is not normal. That is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

While I agree the OP was clamped legitimately, to say there are 'huge signs explaining the parking rules' is a bit of an exaggeration. There are the Apcoa signs as you enter the carpark, much like the ones in the OP and some slightly larger signs IIRC but that's about it.

My postal address says I'm in Naas.

I'm not in, or even near, Naas.

A postal address means absolutely nothing, until a pedant decides its the most important thing ever.

There is zero point replying to you further on this, as you continue to rely on one oddity to insist the incorrect is correct.

Are you across a stone's throw across one single road from Naas? Nope.

They are in Airside Retail Park.

The pink on this map is Airside Retail Park.

Anybody arriving here, who couldn't speak English or didn't stop to read the signs, would assume this is all the retail park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 GreenPanda99

I always assumed both sides of that road in airside was the one retail park. Lucky me i never got clamped.

Jasus. They left the free parking area and dined in the paid parking area. It's extremely well sign posted.

OP took a chance on not getting caught. They got caught & now have to pay. There is no conspiracy. No one is trying to catch them out. It's extremely well sign posted. It is a private car park and you except the t&cs when you park there

Doesnt look extremely well sign posted to me, and I dont recall it being so obvious when I was there. Other posters have said similar.

If you have better pic of one of then clear signs these do share.

If nothing else the thread may have forewarned boardsies - to either not chance it if aware or make them aware of the setup.

I've been using this area for shopping and entertainment for over 20 years. I've never been clamped.

Paid parking is well signposted. A main public road separates free parking from paid parking. I'm stunned to think that anyone would assume that one side of the main road has the same rules, landlord etc. I live in Raheny. Raheny shopping centre has a free carpark. Across the road is another car park that is paid parking. It's a small car park but it has two totally different owners. Different rules apply to each end of these carparks. No one in their right mind assumes that Raheny shopping center has anything to do with the carpark across the road. Why would anyone assume that two carparks or shopping areas in swords, separated by a public road, are governed by the same rules? They have totally different owners and different rules. Never in a million years would I assume that I could park outside B&Q and eat in Hoggs and Heifers across the public road. Why would anyone pay to park outside Hoggs if they can park for free outside B&Q?

The mind boggles

I still think the thread title should be changed. Very unfair on B&Q who don't control any of the carparks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Everyone seems very concerned about B&Q being in the thread title :) The OP spent a considerable amount in B and Q and was still clamped, thats the fact, so the thread title is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

The title isn't correct because B&Q didn't clamp their customer. Apcoa clamped them, and they're not clamping on behalf of B&Q either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The mind boggles. OP was a customer of B and Q and was clamped. The rest is semantics.

Advertisement