Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing Timber - Why is it such a siege ?

• 24-07-2024 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey there,

new to woodwork, picked this up as a hobby for fun and I have been really enjoying it. Made a few things already and have picked up a few tools. That said, something that is really getting under my skin is the process for purchasing timber. I completely understand that buying hardwoods is largely an in person process, but why on earth it so annoying to just buy a few reasonably sized lengths of PAO timber and get it delivered? I've used Tjomahoney's mainly and the service is great, my main reservation with it is that most of it comes in very large lengths - at least for me! I am no professional so I have a tiny amount of space that I can dedicate to this hobby and it is just a nuisance to have to handle 4+ meter timber lengths.

From what I can see, chadwicks and a few others offer 2.Xm lengths which would be way less annoying to deal with, but the unfortunate thing is the cost. As an example, chadwicks charges well over double the price per meter for 4x1.

Would I have any success ringing and asking for the lengths to be cut to 2.4m or is there any supplier that delivers PAO in Louth in more variable (ideally smaller) lengths?

A stupid question and probably makes me sound like a massive whinger but I just don't have the space, my house opens right out on to the road and it would be a god send to be able to buy this.

I appreciate any info on this, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Can you drive to your local TJ O Mahoney's ?.

I have cut the lengths myself in the yard( just bring a tape measure and a saw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭watchclocker

CAn you not cut them in half when you get them delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What type of timber are you buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

I've done this several times just to get stuff in a car. Battery powered circular saw, a pencil and a tape measure. In and out in 10 minutes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tj o'mahony are builder's providers, so i assume you're not buying high quality hardwoods?

have you checked strahan timber; they seem to have a much better range of hardwoods. i've not dealt with them, so cannot offer a recommendation FWIW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Listendernow

Cheers for all the replies folks!

Answers in no particular order:

I never thought of bringing the saw to the yard, my circular saw is corded, I guess I could change to a battery powered one but that's a bit of a nuisance as well. I could definitely do this long term I guess it's just nice to get it shipped to the door, and to not have to change my saw!

I do intend on buying high quality hardwoods in the future but my skill level means that most of what I make at the moment is not great, so I've been sticking to planed construction timber to make my mistakes cost less

Strahan is interesting, they sell hardwoods that are planed and they're not in ridiculous obtuse lengths. So maybe I should just buy a heap of read oak and use that instead ? I kind of like the lighter look of pine though. Maybe poplar ?

Just as I was about to post, I saw that strahan sell packs of planed red deal in 2.4m, 2.1 and 1.2m sizes! Thank you kindly @magicbastarder !! I will have to measure the car to make sure that can fit but I think I'll just order a heap of that, fly down and pick it all up at once. In case anyone in the future is looking, this is the link: https://www.strahanonlineshop.ie/collections/planed-red-deal

Thank you so much again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Bit more expensive than Strahan depending on who you are talking to, but only down the road is the carpentry store.

They have small lengths in store and they will cut larger lengths on site for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, if you happen to live on the northside of dublin, Larry's DIY on grace park road offer an in-house cutting service. they wouldn't be madly cheap though, and again, i can't speak to what range of timbers they have in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

You don't need to change your saw, get yourself a cheap rip saw - a good one should cost less than €20. You have two options A. Cut timber in suppliers yard and have it delivered or B. have it delivered and cut at your leisure at home

While at college I worked one summer with a carpenter who was near retirement age, roofing houses mainly. He never used an electric tool in his life all cutting was done by hand, rafters, joists, 9 x 3 purlins etc. etc. He had a selection of hand saws that he sharpened and set regularly. ………….and you are considering buying a battery saw to cut a few 4 x 2 😁

that's great but not exactly helpful to the OP. 'i knew a seasoned pro carpenter who was able to use tools professionally' might be a cool story (bro), but it's addressed at someone who has stated they're new to woodowrk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Listendernow

One other question if I may, are there any mills or whatever in Louth that I can go and look at hardwoods? I am fairly invested in this hobby by now, and I do have one or two projects on the horizon that I really would like to make out of for example walnut or oak (small foot rest for one of the chairs in the kitchen). I'm based in Louth, I know there is flagstaff across the border and plenty of options in Dublin but I was hoping for something a bit more local. The wagon I have is large enough to carry plenty of boards.

Advertisement