Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations family used 15-20k

• 25-07-2024 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations. My 07 Mk2 Focus is on its last legs and I'm on the hunt for a replacement. Anything would be an improvement. This Focus bleeds petrol, outrageous road tax, constant issues with the suspension…honestly has me worried it's going to breakdown every time I drive it!

I don't have any crazy restrictions … reliability & efficiency are a must. Low running costs & easy maintenance would be great. The wife isn't sold on going BVE, but isn't against HEV/PHEV if the range suits our current usage. I'm leaning toward a small SUV / crossover to fit a family of four. We've made due in the Focus, but a bit more growing room would be great. Not looking for anything bigger.

Needs to be automatic for the missus.

Main usage right now is my daily commute. I'm driving into Dublin daily from Wicklow. So 45km each way, about 30km on M50 & 15km on N11. Lots of start & stop, especially in the evenings.

Weekend usage is fairly typical - local runaround, shopping trips up the M50, family taxi.

Annual mileage ~ 30k

Budget is 15-18k, but I'd stretch to 20k for the right deal.

I've had my eye on the Kia Niro PHEV, just not sure if it suits our current usage.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭GPoint

Look at focus estate you can find one in good spec with 8 speed automatic box. 2020 model would be around 25 k low mileage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,879 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I won't recommend anything in particular just be carful of some of the smaller crossovers. They look bigger on the outside and boot space, etc can be disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

some 2018 / 2019 Qashqais around the 18-20 grand mark…

High enough mileage but they are good cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bamzilla16

Thanks all. Still going around in circles over this. Actually about to lose my mind 😭 I'm used to deciding on very very used beaters, not decent cars at this price point!

My budget is up around 20-23k now. Really like the Niro. Still not decided on hybrid or phev. I really like the front parking sensors on the 2021 phev but they're a bit dearer.

Anything in this size (Qashhqai, Niro, HR-V/Vezel) with decent boot and highest economy I can get I'm interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Toyota CHR

• Advertisement

Certainly ticks all the boxes, but the missus hates the tiny, triangular rear windows 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Boot will take maybe a laptop,not a family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honda shuttle? Not the sexiest car out there but low tax, good fuel economy, big boot and space for five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

How about a Yaris Cross? A bit smaller than the CHR, but the windows are bigger.

I think I'm going to try to test drive a Niro and an Ioniq at the weekend. Thanks all for the suggestions 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭trindade

Corolla Touring Sport.
    With 20k -23k you can get a 2019. Find one that has all service history at Toyota Dealership and you'll enjoy warranty up to 2029.
    It is not a SUV but the boot is bigger than the majority of SUVs.
    It's automatic, hybrid, the most reliable car and one of the cheapest to maintain.

The downside: It is not very exciting with the 122 CV engine, and at higher speeds, it's not the quietest car.

Advertisement