Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to fly on a A380

• 25-07-2024 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at going away for a long weekend from Dublin but no destination picked .I'd like to fly on an A380 so I know I have to transfer somewhere in Europe to fly some where else on one

Any idea on how to find these flights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The A380 is used for long haul, so a long weekend could be difficult - unless you want to go somewhere like Dubai - Emirates use them.

But if you are based in Dublin I don't think Emirates use the A380 for DUB-DXB .. afaik they use a B777.

The Barcelona - Dubai route uses an A380 - I took it a few weeks ago and it was a fab flight - so quiet and smooth - and bloody huge!!!

So if you want to go to Dubai via Barcelona ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Firstly you'd need to determine which airlines use the A380 and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

I know which airlines use it ,I was hoping not to have to go into every booking engine to look for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

You'd probably need to fly out of Heathrow to somewhere. BA do, Emirates do.

We did Heathrow to SFO in A380 but doubt you'd be doing that for a weekend.

Edit: Found this https://gotravelyourway.com/airbus-a380-routes

Like I said … Dubai could be best bet, maybe could do that for 4 days … go via Barcelona .. or maybe Manchester - Dubai uses an A380…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hi OP.. this is exactly my plans too as I am bit of an A380 nerd and plan a long weekend in Dubai with my wife sometime soon. My advice would be look at Heathrow > Dubai purely from the perspective that there are circa 8 x A380 flights each day and let's say you'd your heart set on an A380 flight and there was a technical issue then very likely the next flight is going to be an A380 too. Whereas if you do Barca or SFO etc then you could end up on an Emirates 777 as a backup - rarely ever happens; but it would be just my luck.

The schedule out of Heathrow is perfectly suited too for getting an Aer Lingus flight early into Heathrow and then connecting onwards with an A380 to Dubai, so you don't have cost of overnight in London. Just allow for a possible big transfer distance between terminals - but not certain on that.

One of the flights from Heathrow > Dubai had to turn back the other day so issues do occurs but 100% certainty those passengers probably got reaccomodated on another A380 aircraft.

Best of Luck on the planning.

Manchester rather than Barcelona sounds more appealing as does Heathrow

Now what the hell is there to do in Dubai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I was just there on the way back from Kenya … to be honest, I hated it, it was way too hot and just a phoney false place.

some people love it though - there is lots of indoor stuff to do and everywhere of course is air conditioned.

Also temperatures much more bearable in the winter … but then again high season there I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ignoring the temperature I also hated Dubai. Just full of criminal, drug lords, modern day slavery, prostitution, I found Abu Dhabi to be much nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There are several sites that purport to list current routes operated by A380s of all operators of the type. I googled and several came up They may or not be accurate for the time you want to travel, as these things can change according to demand, season etc. You can also use FlightRadar24 search or filters to check whether a particular flight is currently operated by an A380.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've been on the A380 many times. Economy and Premium Economy.

When you're boarding, you turn right, and once you're aloft, you cannot walk about and visit the top deck or any of the premium facilities anyway.

And so it feels just like any other aircraft 99% of the time. Not worth any premium or extra connection cost that you might pay just to access one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Have flown Emirates A380 Business and Economy upstairs and BA A380 economy upstairs and downstairs. Obviously A380 business is top notch, but even Emirates economy far superior experience to BA.

BA A380 downstairs truly deserves the moniker "Cattle Class"- cramped and overcrowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gillrich

Going to fly on A380 first time next month. Super exited! As it is a very special event for me, i also booked myself a comfort pass https://comfortpass.travel/ . The comfort pass was a nice little upgrade to my usual routine. It didn’t change everything, but it made things a bit more comfortable. Sometimes, it’s the small touches that matter.

Post edited by gillrich on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I highly recommend Etihad from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi on A380. Fabulous aircraft and set up. But i dont think its in any way superior to the same thing on their B777.

Dublin airport cannot handle the A380 at all as far as im aware.

Advertisement