Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cargo bike on boat

• 25-07-2024 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Would anyone know if you can bring a cargo bike on Irish Ferries? Ours is a big one, 2 wheeler but with the bucket seat for 3 kids at the front.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It's a bike, you can bring bikes

The real question is why, North Wales is ok, but not sure you'd want to day trip it with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭breadevery

France, not North Wales. For a week, not a day. Not all bikes are the same - you can bring bikes on train for example,but this one wouldnt fit through the doors.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if anyone has experience of bringing one on the ferry, I don't want to be turned away at check in because it won't fit in the spaces allocated for bikes, or due to weight or some other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I was on Irish ferries to Wales and you just walk on and leave your bikes over beside where the motorbikes are. Basically just leaning it up and locking it where it'll sit best. Loads of room for a cargo bike yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some ferries now insist on you using the bus with your bike and they will take it on a luggage van but there is no weight restriction, jsut adds a few minutes on waiting for it on the other side. Cycling it on was far handier if they let you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I was on the WB Yeats in June and they just put us in a side area that was quite roomy (once I found it) so I would expect a cargo bike should be fine but you can always ring them to confirm. It's their problem since all you can do is tick 'Bicycle' as an optional extra. As a nitpicky aside I prefer the Brittany Ferries form where you can pick Bicycle as your mode of transport (in the list of Car, On foot etc.) wheras with Irish Ferries it's a tickbox later in the form under 'Onboard Extras'. At first I wondered if ticking it meant you hired a bike for use during the voyage. Just unnecessarily confusing.

Advertisement