Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing Dinghy - car roof and 6ft tall

• 25-07-2024 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

A somewhat odd query. Does anyone know of a sailing dinghy you can transport on the roof of a jeep and also suitable for 2 man crew with one just over 6ft tall. I was thinking mirror dinghy but my height could be the issue. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

At 6ft I think you'll struggle with anything. 6ft is big for a mirror but probably also anything that might fit on a roof rack.

Any 2 man I can think of you'd be a bit big or it wouldn't go on a roof rack. Might depend on who you are sailing with. If its a kid mirror or a 2 man topaz or l'equipe might work, you just might be a bit uncomfortable.

RS200 might work either. Possibly a bit heavy for a roof rack though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

A Mirror is unsuitedable. I had one for the children when they were small and had a small trailer for it; also, although I'm not over six feet a good degree of agility/bendiness is required!

The Topper dinghy got its name because it was designed for a car roof.

You'd need two strong, tall people to put any two-person dinghy on the roof of a SUV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I had this challenge many years back and settled on the rare Tasar. Completely flat deck meant it distributed its weight well on the rack and sandwich construction made it light enough for two people to lift.

Other factors were it had Fireball performance in a user-friendly package, could handle much harsher wind and sea conditions and simplified rigging allowed the mast stepped in minutes. The mast was also two piece.

Two people could lift and carry -carefully- the rigged boat a short distance into the water. With a lot of windsurfing and cat experience, the fully battened rotating rig also appealed and was very robust and easy to manage with virgin crew. Had many years of great sailing with it, lake and sea including some adventurous coastal hops.

But you'll struggle to find one in Ireland!

Whatever you buy make sure your rack is on to roof rails, I wouldn't trust any gutterless rack system to carry a 2 handed dinghy. Weights might be ok but windage and air pressure off the windscreen are huge factors.

Advertisement