Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

We're all different, but that wouldn't have put me off and I don't see that as unwelcoming or clique behaviour.

That's why Boards will never make everyone happy, we all have our own perspectives, we react differently to posts and, yes, we all have our own biases. That's just human nature though, it doesn't mean that one person is objectively right, and the other objectively wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I can't reassure you.

All I can say is that I read the same as the other poster as part of a bigger discussion.

It does not matter in the overall discussion though - the report post function is there for a reason and there should not be any issues if people do use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

People aren’t leaving in a strop. They are being thread banned when their opinions don’t align with the popular views. Mods have confirmed that they do not have the capacity to check context which is a problem when posters gang up on individuals.

Yes I see what you are talking about there.

But I also see what Tellmehow refers to, that is the type of thing I am referencing even in the more "harmless" forums.And while some people would not be put off by that, others would be.

I quoted the post for that poster because they suggested I was lying. I don't know why they expected you to be able to quote it verbatim.

No one memorises posts ffs.

• Advertisement

I'd say its more to do with resources. There is not enough Mods and cross forum mods. And if a person would say to themselves "ah here not going there to get the head chewed off me again" then the person heads off and all continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is nonsense, the other poster is perfectly correct in what Beasty has said previously about how reports are handled. Just because you may not have been there at the time doesn't mean everybody is wrong in their memory.

Its not our fault that the search function is pathetic, using its failure as some sort of gotcha is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Some opinions are just not acceptable on a public message board. As are some ways of interacting with other posters. There's no free speech on Boards.ie, there never has been. There are limits on what you can post and how you behave. If you go beyond those limits you can be banned. Tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In a thread about why the forum is dying it's ironic to shoot the messenger. If there are no problems this thread would not exist. Or similar threads wouldn't be created so regularly.

There are forums/sub forums/threads where it's impossible to post. Be that ask a question, post a (reasonable) alternative viewpoint. You'll be harangued until you give up. Some attack the poster not the post everytime.

You either see it or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

There are long standing right leaning members of Boards.ie

Additionally the right wing are sending waves of people to attempt to shift the focus on boards.ie to a more favourable hue. They are doing it to all public forums. Shift the debate to where saying socially unacceptable things is considered normal.

Boards can sit back and let it happen or it can be vigilant and rebuff these agent provocators. So far it's resisting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Your definition of "right-wing" is "person who doesn't agree with me" though, judging from previous threads.

I think that's worth calling out to put your post in context.

You can't have it both ways. Either the reporting works and prompts attention and action from the mods or it doesn't. I find it hard to believe there are no reports from a threads where people constantly gang up on other posters.

If people have given up reporting things, then that tells it's own story. The squeaky wheel no longer squeaks because it's fallen off etc.

Happy to disagree with people, but what I am talking about is different. These are fly-by posters and sealions.

No idea what that means. We have flying seals ?

Common descriptive terms for species of trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's nothing to do with resources when the mod is on the thread and posting themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This.

I remember when insulting people because of their ethnicity , culture , race or the colour of their skin was an actionable offence . Was it called being racist / offensive ? Seems a distant memory now .

It is being posted freely on some threads now with impunity ..probably because anybody who might have reported those posts has either been banned or driven from the thread .

I don't think it is being tolerated per se, just not coming to the attention of the busy mods,flinty . It is happening .

There are now a proliferation of posts that a lot of people won't go into because of the proliferation of" very strongly worded views in an aggressive manner " and the likelihood of being piled on if you express a different view.

The more extreme posts getting high numbers of likes , so" how dare you disagree !"

This needs to be either very well moderated or it will destroy the site turning it into rubbish like Telegram or X .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Irrespective of the posters categorization, their point is hardly without merit.

Others have pointed out the quantity of immigration focused threads for example. On the thread that lasted about a day after the Southport attack, there was a particularly vehement post blaming Left wing people for the attack. It put categoric blame on left wing ideals for the attack having been carried out. The thread was locked, but the post remained. It was liked 35+ times in the next 24 hours.

Yesterday a thread was started, descended in to very pointed statements very quickly similar to what we've seen in the news a lot in recent weeks with a high volume of likes on these statements until not only was it locked, but as much as I can see, deleted entirely which may give some indication of the content.

And this can hardly be surprising, we've seen a rise of right wing vitriol in public and internet life over the last 8 years in particular since Brexit/Trump/Musk especially normalized the expression of such sentiments. That's just a fact. I pointed out years ago on here that this was going to happen if it wasn't challenged appropriately, and here we are. There was a time when you'd come to Boards and see the trending page full of entertaining topics, to come now and see it full of Far Right or US politics is going to be a turn off for many. That's just a fact. That's where Boards is at right now.

What is the issue with both left and right wing opinions being posted and discussed?

Do some of you genuinely just want one perspective or opinions that match your own?

It's alright, I found it and posted it. 😉

• Advertisement

You posted this just when I was posting similar above you .

Exactly

So is this what people want ?

Or is it just a group wanting to vent views that they can't otherwise ?

Thing is , they can do this elsewhere , if Boards wants to stay away from that sort of rhetoric . Then decisions have to be made by the site.

Either way they will lose one group or the other eventually

I can't see posters who are in the middle staying on the site if it continues to go full on Telegram or X in CA , regardless of the rest of the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Irony is strong with this one

Warned: If you have constructive feedback to offer please do. Smart arse oneliners offer nothing to the discussion.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am an avid follower of current affairs topics and enjoy engaging discussions, and have many right wing friends (particularly in the US) who I have spent a lot of time comfortably discussing such topics from both perspectives.

I've an issue with content that leads to racism, abuse and generally hateful ideologies being given a platform.

I do recognize conversations are happening in society and I would rather be able to challenge the people expressing what I feel are these views, rather than just ignore the individual and talk for the 1000th time about something in a general sense. But boards has chosen to use the 'attack the post, not the poster' (in some places) as a justification for banning.

I presume you are being ironic posting like this on a feedback forum where posters are trying to give their opinions .

I've an issue with content that leads to racism, abuse and generally hateful ideologies being given a platform.

I'd agree with that, but some of the posts here suggest that only left leaning posts are acceptable.

If been a racist is part of been a right leaning ideologe - then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It's nonsense yet nobody can produce what was said.

The poster said a lot, a bit complicated than just how reports are handled. There is apparently a whole persecution of minority opinions going on

That's the thing about boards, you don't need to rely on a few people's memory. It's there in black and white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It's on you to back up your claims. Because you said so, isn't going to cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That is entirely it.

Moderators have a busy job and often only look at isolated reported posts and not the overall context.

Certain posters have carte blanche to constantly bait, goad, troll and antagonise in certain threads safe in the knowledge that nothing will be done as the numbers are in their favour.

The tactic of bait, goad and troll works because when someone simply stands up to the abuse their post is mass reported and they are punished instead of the instigators.

• Advertisement

Eh, I did post it! I quoted you so you should have an alert. There's nothing more I can do bar driving to you and reading it aloud for you. 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement