Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm off to bed, I'm not sure if I'll sleep or toss and turn whilst agonising about whether I should sleep on the left side, left of centre, the centre, right of centre or the right side of the bed. Maybe that could be included in the charter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I never said mods should step in. I just said it wasn't easy to keep up with the pile on.

You're doing the same thing again tonight to Leg End Reject. Your behaviour is deplorable, if the mods want to deal with it they're welcome to, I'm not asking for it to happen though.

Again, you want particular opinions to be outlawed in the site but have no suggestions on how to enforce that in practice. You just want boards to facilitate you personally any time your nose is put out of joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

So you think transphobia should not be banned, but should be up for debate?

Well, I have a few trans friends, and I think they should be made to feel welcome here, warmly. They shouldn't have to defend their existence on this site.

As I have pointed out already, people hold some opinions that most sensible people would find abhorrent, like homosexuality goes against nature, should that be open for debate? Some people believe disabled people don't add anything to society, should that be open for debate? Some people think white people are the pinnacle of the human race, should that be open for debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I feel for you trying to keep up with the pile on you're experiencing.

This is pitiful stuff from someone who has been on the platform for 15 years. Tell us, who do you think should respond to Leg End Reject? Just one of us, or can all of us but only one time say, every 4 hours?

When does a discussion become a pile on?

°°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The last few pages of that thread are people agreeing/disagreeing about whether asylum seekers are putting pressures on resources and which areas they are being housed in. It seems civil and people are posting links to their assertions when asked. Peoples views are being challenged in a reasonable fashion which is a good thing. That only occurred because a heap of people on both sides of the idealogical spectrum who were engaging in racist, inflammatory, off topic, sneering, or sea lioning posting have been threadbanned. Current Affairs does not have to be a cess pit, but it will descend into one if it is not correctly and impartially modded.

I hate the term piling on, and I hate people claiming someone was ran off a thread, as posted by someone earlier in this thread.

I post my opinions, others are free to engage with me, counter my opinions or ignore me. I don't want an echo chamber on Boards, I see plenty of posts I agree with, I've argued with posters and there are many I disagree with on some threads but agree with on others.

Now, I really must find the Goldilocks position in bed.

Should people just stop responding to you? To keep it on thread, should there be a limit to how many responses a user receive in a certain amount of time? I don't think vanilla has that type of function.

Own your posts. You don't have to respond to everyone who posts you. It's not like you don't ignore many requests anyway.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

When a poster is receiving a new reply every minute or so.

It's not possible to respond to all that, and it keeps happening on this very thread.

Whats pitiful is a grown adult posting a feedback thread on a public discussion forum expecting the sites owners to only allow opinions that you find acceptable to ever be allowed.

The fact that the site routinely removes posts you don't like and bans the people posting them isn't enough for you.

Would you like some sort of minority report style pre crime solution to be developed for you personally by boards?

And they can just accept your horrible behaviour and nasty attitude to others because you don't like what they're saying so they deserve to be abused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It was me who mentioned people being run off threads, so I guess that is directed at my comment.

I've seen people rounded on and seen off. This has happened in harmless threads, such as food, pets and Construction and Planning (to give examples).

In a thread about what can boards do to be more inclusive, that is my valid point. Another poster had the same experience, and I am sure there are many who didnt stick around to be here. Whether you hate those claims or not, that is not really relevant.

It is about what can be done to improve things for the future.

Post edited by anewme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

i feel this pile on nonsense was resolved 24 hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭nachouser

Just shut off all notifications. Then you won't be able to use the excuse that you always use about not being possiby able to reply to posts because of things you've started. You can get your message out there without distraction.

Yeah, but then a discussion started up again, and people had the temerity to respond directly to a user without pming each other first with a reply schedule.

Unfortunately a user got a lot of responses in a short amount of time, and had to deal with it it.

It's ok though, that user went to bed, unfortunately they're unsure which position to lie in as it's not clear on the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

its strange being on a forum when you are overwhelmed by discussion on a daily basis tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nonsense.

For example ..

You know that there have been posters supported Justin Barrett et al on the National Party thread . Not going to name them here .

You can't be saying that supporting a self declared neo nazi and his party is not supporting Nazi ideology or something something now are you ?

Quite peculiar indeed. I'm sure the person who has a superior sense of knowing when a pile on is happening, has now found one thing they could be constructive to offer this thread. They could advise the owners/management/admin on how they would prevent users from replying to posts made by certain posters.

I would suggest only using pictures to reply to them, but I think I would be accused of being flippant.

As long as you don't wake up in the morning and get out on the Wrong side ?! ;)

°°°°°

Those posters are no longer on the site.

Apples and oranges comparison.

• Advertisement

I respectfully and wholeheartedly agree to disagree .

Goodnight .

What do you want the site to be?

Do you think there should be limits to what people can discuss?

I laid out what I think should be off limits for discussion, and I asked you which would you allow, but you chose to ignore that, which is your right. So I'm asking you now,

What do you want boards to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

What posts on there are problematic? I may not agree with them all but bar one poster who was abjectly trolling on Saturday people are either agreeing or disagreeing?

Really ? I don't think so .

Thought you said

"I cannot think of a single user on this site who has anything approaching Nazi ideology or defends Nazi ideology."

That was why I replied .

How do you know they are gone if they were never here ?

You are denying the undeniable again nullzero .

The zero tolerance thread is one of the few threads just angers me too much. I know it's not good for my mental health to see the hatred, fear and vitriol directed towards innocent people fleeing a desperate situation.

I tip my hat to those who stand up to the racists and xenophobes in that thread. You're far stronger than me. I'd be thread banned in a heartbeat.

Its racism and xenophobia that's often just on the cusp of the border of acceptability. I've seen it justified as acceptable because many people have that outlook. That's never an argument I'll agree with. Many people thought (and still think) homosexuality is against nature, that never made that right. Or that white people are the pinnacle of the human race. We all hopefully recognise how odious that belief is.

I'll keep it bringing it back to the rules. If they were clarified and cleared up, the site could be better and more welcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,194 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When a poster is receiving a new reply every minute or so. 

It's not possible to respond to all that, and it keeps happening on this very thread. 

Bull. If you want to you can take as much time as you want to reply to as many as you want, replies are not on a deadline, ones personal anxiety about making timely replies to multiple responses their posts illicit is a personal issue. Can even take the time and wait to reply, and thereby, slow down, the conversation back and forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,194 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

specific accounts might not be, can’t say the users behind the keyboards have moved on.

Goldilocks was awoken by the heat and is currently firmly ensconced in the middle of the bed. 2 things have stuck out:

@Goldengirl, you posted this:

I asked for help on a left wing thread a while back for the small few centre left and left posters posting on the immigration and asylum threads , trying to combat racist misinformation etc on the immigration thread, and getting a bit overwhelmed , to be told by a senior poster on left side of the debate that those threads were a cesspit and they would not go there

How did you ask like-minded posters for help? Was it on thread or did you PM other posters to argue with you?

@suvigirl, you posted this:

Beasty has just confirmed on another thread that there is an issue with reported posts not showing up. So any posts that remain in thread, when they obviously shouldn't, are not being reported to mods even when multiple posters report them

That reads like you're aware that other posters have reported posts on this thread, and that you have. Are you PMing each other to report posts?

If this is true that is indeed the dreaded pile up, and a very underhanded method of engagement. I may well be wrong but that's how I interpret these posts.

Wha?

Go back to sleep you are raving ! 😂

I asked them to engage with the thread in a post on the other thread . Still there if you care to look ! Nothing about reporting , ffs

Don't know how or why you are asking me about the last half as I was / am not involved in that discussion ?

2+2 =75 ?

Now go back to sleep and make sure you don't wake up on the wrong side again!

• Advertisement

You are quick to accuse others of piling up on you and have done so on previous Feedback threads, you've confirmed you were the poster who made the comment about others being ran off a thread. In fact, you once accused me of running another poster off a thread.

Do these events only happen to you or others you agree with? Here we had one poster feel they were being piled up on and you just dismiss it. Do you think it might be possible that he/she feels the same way you did when you accused others of the very same thing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement