Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Stuff like Israel-Palestine, Ukraine, and refugees I don't touch."

Hmmmm….. but you review moderation of such threads ..

And have fairly strong opinions, which you are entitled to have, on them. Look at your signature again and comments on this thread re abusive terms like orcs etc

Conflict of interest??

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Furze, I do not know why you and others keep going on about this "conflict of interest" stuff.

Where on earth did you and others ever get the notion that someone who disagrees with you cannot possibly moderate you? This is back to some people thinking they should be allowed to post whatever they want, because it's their opinion or their take on the facts, and be free of all consequences for doing so. If any action is taken, it's because of a perceived bias, rather than acknowledging that there was any wrongdoing.

We request that moderators, as much as possible, do not moderate discussions that they are actively involved in. There is no requirement, nor will there ever be, that moderators do not moderate anything that they hold an opinion on. This would be nonsensical and unworkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Back to the old "free speech" mantra.

There is, of course, free speech.

There are also consequential actions as a result of that free speech.

People don't think the second one applies to them.

In a place where there are not enough Mods already, people want to be able to pick and choose who moderates them?

The DRP sucks up a lot of Mod time - can that be streamlined in any to do away with time sinks? Maybe limit how many DRP's a person can start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There is, of course, free speech.

Not on Boards. Never has been.

I already note some DRP streamlining, with DRPs involving 1 or even more than half a dozen warnings lumped together under 1 appeal, effectively getting the same result, instead of 1 user making several DRPs they have 1 DRP for several warnings etc.

Changing DRP is something we'll take from this thread. We have to balance it being fast and easy with posters still thinking it's worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well there is free speech in so far as you can say what you like.

Boards.ie just dont have to entertain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've been subjected to treatment from Ancapailldorcha that wouldn't be tolerated from anyone else.

Having my mental health called into question and being psychoanalysed.

When posters talk about conflicts of interest , it's that type of overtly aggressive behaviour that they're talking about not a simple difference of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Another bit of feedback:

Boards should take a much firmer approach with timesinks. We all know who they are and the site wouldn't suffer a jot if they were all thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I can't report anyone currently unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I reported him when he was baiting a poster to post something a mod warned could not be discussed.

I would rightfully expect a ban if me or you done such a thing.

It seems some people are not held to the same standard as others and the report button is a waste of time in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry but what is timesinks, another for the glossary meanings thread

I believe they mean users who generally run afoul of the rules and then sealion the life out of the mods.

A timesink is someone who takes up disproportionally more time with a mod than any other average, typical user.

Yup.

Well Awec, let me explain that I've acquired this notion of bias through empirical experience of the site over a number of years. Yes indeed I agree that they can indeed moderate. The question is rather how they moderate, can they do it fairly and in a polite, unbiased & transparent manner.

This must be abundantly clear at this stage as many posters mention it as a factor that undermines credibility of how the site is managed.

And to be clear again, the case is made on behalf of all good faith posters, the sort any site wants to keep, regardless of their points of view.

My only advice is that moderation of threads should be limited very strictly to matters that legally might affect the site. And /or matters that are very clearly laid out in a site charter. None of this shaping threads, warning users when a moderator makes personal judgement calls as to anecdote and opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Think you mean at best, anecdotal evidence that's largely influenced by your own biases.

The irony of it all!!! Ah Jaysus. Maybe Boards should take a much firmer approach with posters who are continually trying to restrict other posters and what can and can't be debated. We all know who they are and the site wouldn't suffer a jot if they were all thrown out! :)

Throwing out users goes against what you just argued for, that mods only moderate speech that's strictly per se illegal.

And if you want the kind of 'free for all' unlimited speech shithole you're alluding to may I suggest Stormfront or 4chan or something, where you can feel free to espouse such not-technically-illegal but batshit views as 'hitler did nothing wrong' etc. or even just generally being a complete asshole to other users, insulting them personally, and other toxic behavior, but that's never, ever been the kind of place Boards is or aspires to be.

Moderators may, from time to time, moderate. That's why the place uses human moderators, not bots, and charters have never been perfect catch-alls, least of all thanks to rules-lawyering sealions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm confused. We need more moderation and a more legalised DRP but also less or no moderation?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Seriously, think this through. Why?

They don't take up volunteer moderators time disproportionally. The problem that boards has is that there's not enough mods to police the site. One part of the reason no one really wants to mod is because it takes up time. If boards.ie could lesson the amount of time people have to mod, it would become more attractive. Being strict with timesink's/sealions call-them-what-you-will, is a response to that.

There is no freedom of speech on boards.ie and being strict with the guarding of moderators and their time should be something that is continually assessed and worked on.

The internet is a big place for people that don't agree with this, and they can find many, many other forums to ruin.

• Advertisement

You're quite right of course, I was inconsistent there. There should be a place for posters like Flaneur to express their opinions. And let those who disagree with their opinions the same free space.

There are indeed many sites about to discuss matters. The USP of boards though is that it is by and large an Irish site for discussion. You expect other posters to pick up on local references and matters of expression and culture. When they don't you begin to wonder sometimes.

Anyway, I may shut up for a while.. in case I'm accused next of being a 'timesink'

My only advice is that moderation of threads should be limited very strictly to matters that legally might affect the site. And /or matters that are very clearly laid out in a site charter

If the bar for moderation was legal issues and strict adherence to what's enumerated in charter the place would be an absolute mess. CA would be unreadable. It would be impossible for every potential problem to be listed in the charter, so there would be endless ways for posters to ruin threads and forums.

I suspect you are fully aware of this.

Users should treat forum charters as a guide to get a sense of what is and what isn't going to be tolerated, and also look at the forum contents to get a feel for the place. The charter is an outline of the spirit of the law, rather than the letter of the law.

I think the overwhelming majority of users have little to no issue figuring out where the line is and then staying on the right side of it, unfortunately there are always a few who struggle. Lowering standards and allowing a free for all is not the solution for this issue.

It is a mods job to shape a thread, in the sense that it's their job to steer threads on topic, to get rid of trolls, to stop soapboxing, to stop abuse, to stop threads being derailed and to stop repetitive discussions. Ultimately the mod is there to keep things enjoyable for all.

Twitter is a great example of what happens when you remove standards. What was once an engaging and interesting corner of the internet is now a cesspool of pure brain rot. We will not be following that path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a follow up on that point on Twitter I posted an example yesterday regarding the use of Twitter on this site not sure if you or any other admin saw it but would appreciate some feedback.

We aren't going to ban people linking to twitter content. However, posters are responsible for everything they put in their post.

Posting something from Twitter is not a way to skirt around the rules. Obviously, context is key here, whether the user is link dumping or not, but if we think someone is using Twitter content as a proxy to evade mod action on harmful or hateful content then mods can still take action.

"It is a mods job to shape a thread, in the sense that it's their job to steer threads on topic, to get rid of trolls, to stop soapboxing, to stop abuse, to stop threads being derailed and to stop repetitive discussions. Ultimately the mod is there to keep things enjoyable for all."

Thank you for your honesty and for laying it out clearly. Boards threads are at the whim of moderators. And open debate within the rules of civility is therefore not guaranteed and is at the personal discretion of said moderators.

I've already formed the opinion that some subjects simply can't be discussed on boards. It's a great pity to see this applies arbitrarily to all manner of others.

Where's the exit button? Why is it not possible to simply close an account now? Like the old version of the site. Is it even legal not to provide a ready means to close an account?

The role of a moderator is hardly surprising.

Practically any forum (online or otherwise) anywhere is subject to a degree of moderation. Even our political debates are subject to moderation.

You can close your account by emailing the office, hello@boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

You should just quit the thread now for trying to pick up on that point. Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Made this suggestion in the previous iteration of this thread, but going to suggest it again.

Would it be possible to get a stickie with links to various services that can help people like there is in after hours and personal issues sub that can be kept up to date for CA and the conspiracy theories sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its been clear for the last few iterations of this thread that the complaints of "bias" and "censorship" or "free speech" was just those incapable of participating in a civil manner deciding it was everyone elses problem BUT their own and that the rules needed to be removed entirely to suit their standard.

That style of posting they want doesn't work on a forum unless its 4chan forums. They need a private blog or twitter account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭reclose

I disagree with that. I’ve been following some political threads lately and it’s quite clear leeway is given to posters on a certain side of political ideology.

I’ve seen posters being rounded on, sneered, and bullied out of threads.

Yes there are bad faith posters but not everyone who disagrees with you is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement