Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So the whole site is to be judged and condemned based on CA or AH? What about the vibrant Motoring, Hunting, Gardening, Gigs, Radio, TV, Consumer Affairs etc where discussion and advice carries on with no hostility or sniping?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are rows in Radio, Motoring, Commuting but point taken - it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It wasn't all about you , thomas , that is why .

And I did read the context . The mod closed it because of immigrant BASHING . You did not make reference to the fact that it was bashing in your posts. Now read my post with your blinkers off ..no bashing of ANY race, religion or group should be acceptable to any decent poster .

You can go on now ... I have nothing more to say to you on this .

I think everybody knows the difference between genuine feedback and what you are describing above .

There has been grandstanding indeed on the last number of pages but not by me or many others who have contributed in good faith and fairly sparingly . Which we are entitled to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,181 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interested in this, do you have a link for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Nope, you put quotation remarks around something I said in isolation without the rest of the context, remove them so if it’s not about me?

Please report any of my immigrant bashing posts, or flag them to me directly, I aim not to bash any immigrants personally and would not like to come across that way. but yes, I have very strong opinions on Gov policy around illegal migration. Not that you need the context since you will ignore it but that was but one example of a thread being closed with an editorial from a moderator that was not needed … had you read the context (on the last 4 pages that you claim to have read) you’d know that.

I find it really bizzare you have felt the need to go on the offensive and attack me personally here on this feedback thread also, especially considering your own fondness of the report function and editing of posts with questionable comments. I suppose you saw the pack mentality and decided it was an opetune moment to inject your own thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Fair enough, I should report more. I tend to call out posters instead. What I was calling for and have all along is more overt moderation to keep things in line. I know this is not possible at the moment but it should be an aim, even if only a pipe dream. I am making this point as people are claiming that the consensus is calling for less current affairs moderation when I and others have called for more active and more even handed moderation (obviously implementing that is resource dependent).

My other point about left wing/right wing is that many people in this thread and on boards in general are seeing everything through an American identity politics skew where posters are being dismissed as either being for or against issues and treating them as an enemy to be defeated rather than someone with an opposing viewpoint who may or may not have something relevant to post. Most people hold nuanced views and don't subscribe wholesale to a bunch of left wing or right wing talking points.

Good faith?

since I started my reply and posted it you have completely changed your comment via edit.

There is a bit of site feedback - display a public edit history.

that was but one example of a thread being closed with an editorial from a moderator that was not needed

I still fail to see why you take such umbrage with the note closing the thread, it was on point factual, the thread was full of people no longer interested in discussing the topic but rather, just more general bashing of immigrants.

I still haven't figured out what your actual problem with this note was or how it is perceived as bias. What do you think was happening in that thread, if not generic immigrant bashing themed posting?

that’s fair enough overheal, others get it. And to be frank I don’t care if you don’t understand a simplistic bit of site feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This is the media regulator's site…

https://www.cnam.ie/

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/83829-unpublished-new-media-regulator-coimisiun-na-mean-formally-established-today/

There was a front page story about it in the Sunday Independent two weeks ago(I think), behind a pay-wall though.

This just gives a broad overview of what's being proposed…

https://www.thejournal.ie/media-regulator-asks-public-for-input-on-new-safety-rules-6243610-Dec2023/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I notice on mobile the thread no.longer comes up. Playing the end theme music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭reclose

How about more visibility for everyone to see what posts received a warning?
    That way we could all see who was warned and what for.
    It might mean we see that even those with the opposite opinion to us is getting warnings too and realise it’s fair.

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The fact that posters cannot see when other posters' posts get warned is a serious frustration with Vanilla and one we've unfortunately raised lots of times as an issue.

Sometimes mods will be able to modify a post to add a bit of bold text saying it was warned, but this is easily missed by users, and also it is very time consuming for mods and not really practical during periods of very high workload.

Honestly, this annoys us as much as it annoys you as it gives posters the impression that other users may be getting away with things that they are not getting away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I assume ye can edit posts as required so maybe just stick a yellow or red "WARNING" into the sanctioned post?

Absolute pain doing it manually when its not built in but I dont know the backend ye have to know would inserting a word like that be too cumbersome?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah you can. We do it in soccer. But that's way less popular than CA is nowadays (and soccer is practically no hassle anymore tbh) so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Soccer used to be very different.

There's some lessons to be learned from the changes that happened in that forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You also have posters bitching about the mods that do modify their posts with the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some posters are just looking for a grievance to make hay with.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And to act hurt and shocked when someone calls them up on their, frankly, despicable posts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's the 'mod snip' bit that annoys people. Unless it's something which would get the site in legal trouble it should be left as is, - to demonstrate what is actionable, with "WARNED" in red caps or something.

I agree with awec that the old cards were better but if they're not a feature of Vanilla, then that's that.

As I mentioned above in a different context, - I've never read or posted in Soccer, but I believe it was very bad back around the time I joined boards or before. There's merit in nullzero's suggestion that whatever cleane that place up should be looked at to see if it could help with CA.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aye nurturing the chip on the shoulder like a prized possession. It is how they justify to themselves lashing out in baseless attacks on other posters and mods.

Timesinks for mods. Wrecking the heads of sincere posters and driving them away.

Need to be failing them faster, getting them out the door not giving them chance after chance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

So, to sum up - most people don't really have anyone they know who would use the words "right wing" to describe themselves in everyday life. People who post on here presumably have jobs, lives, cars, a mortgage, kids, a partner. They live in Ireland, they send their kids to schools. Anyone claiming to be "right wing" on boards is nuts to me. It's just an internet thing that doesn't have anything to do with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭reclose

I guess it’s plan b then.
    Be civil. Be tolerant of other opinions. Enter a discussion being open to having your opinion changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Sunjava

You're right wing if you think this chap is a complete and utter muppet.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4A2u3OOtPf/?igsh=b2FvdmpmN3M3amUx

Ok but you realize that was cleaned up by incredibly strict moderation and a charter that's absolutely monstrous with everything scrutinized to the nth degree so there are zero grey areas?

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, but to me it's what some have been stringently arguing against the entire thread. Some posters have said CA moderation is too strict imagine if they overnight went zero tolerance!

°°°°°

The soccer forum enforced its rules evenly across the board. Rival fans stopped pestering each other, stupid phrases and insults were ruled out.

Think back ten years or so, if there was a United v Liverpool game there would be a match thread, all hell broke lose days before kick off, the entire thing was a mess, people calling each other names, slagging off opposing players, managers, pundits, it was a sh1t show and it was destroying the forum.

It's not too difficult to draw comparisons between what the soccer forum was back then to what the CA forum currently is.

There's one phenomenon in CA and related fora where someone will pop into a thread with the expressed purpose of just being a jerk, often to take a pop at a poster they have a history with, supposedly witty one liners, dismissive trolling nonsense that if responded to will likely result in a thread being derailed. That type of thing should be knocked on the head for sure.

I don't have any issue with strict moderation once it's applied evenly across the board, CA doesn't have that currently, some people are getting away with murder, they're the ones who are most vocal here about increasing the level of bias, silencing opinions they disagree with.

If there was zero tolerance and everyone was held to account for their behaviour regardless of what camp they fall into nobody would have grounds for complaint. Oddly enough , the people who benefit from the status quo are vehemently against such a change, I wonder why?

Post edited by nullzero on

oh cheer up like people didn’t just get away with murder on the thread just closed, posts of personal abuse still up and everything. Your kind of people too

°°°°°

Seems reasonable. If someone is being unreasonable just pop them on the ignore list.

With regard to some people, ignorance truly is bliss.

• Advertisement

Oh it's definitely easy to draw comparisons. Some threads are like Liverpool vs United match day threads back in the day…only the match has been going on now for about 8 years and half the players are dead from exhaustion but still the battle between the supporters rages on🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement