Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of sheep farming

Options
  • 25-07-2024 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have been keeping 10-15 ewes along with my 20 cows for the past 4 years lambing each year and selling the lambs in the autumn. The main reason I have them is to keep the ragwort under control. However each year there is always something with the sheep. Dead lambs or a ewe, orf or maggots. I have been thinking recently if I would be better off changing to buying store ewe lambs in the autumn, keeping them for the winter, and selling them at easter. I wouldn't have to deal with lambing at all then or shearing etc.
    My question is would this be viable? Is this something people do? Would there be any money out of it? What kind prices would I be buying and selling at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Its doubtful there'd be much money out of it , just thinking of the number of stores you'd be buying,(can't lose majorly either) but there should be a lot less hassle for you too , I assume your fencing is reasonable, as you already have sheep ,

Would you be better off letting someone else put sheep on your ground for the winter ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There is no doubt that those that bought store lambs for the last ten years made more money than those lambing them.

But would they be around long enough to control ragwort

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KelGavKerry

Cheers for the replies.
    In terms of fencing it's pretty good. I have had them a few years now and had had no major escapes aside from the ram going visiting the neighbour. Yeah I see what your are saying in terms of return with the amount of lambs I'd be buying. As long as I wasn't loosing money on them I'd be happy. My son here is 12 now so might be something small for him to keep him interested.

What time of the year should I be buying and selling them? I was thinking September/October to April.
    Any advice on what weight/price Id be looking at on average would be great? I know every year would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would there be any money in buying in cast ewes to run over winter and then sell around Ramadan time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Go for easycare ewes. No need to shear.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats an option. Thats the idea, something with not to keep for 6 months and gone for the summer. No dipping or shearing etc.

Read a bit about those. Great idea but preferably Id have no sheep for the summer so shearing and dipping would be needed.

Advertisement