Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STRUGGLING WITH KIDS

Options
  • 26-07-2024 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Looking for a bit of advice here. Have two kids, a two year old and a new born. I seem to struggling a bit since the new baby arrived. Been snapping at my partner and two year old for no reason. I don't know if its because of my age (became a dad for the first time at 45) or just down to tiredness. Also been feeling down the last few weeks and I am not the kind of person that feels comfortable talking to anyone about my feelings. Any bit of advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Adjusting to life with a newborn is tough, especially when you have another young child to care for. The combination of sleep deprivation, the demands of parenting, and the changes in your family dynamics can be overwhelming.

It’s not unusual to feel more irritable or down during this time, and it doesn’t reflect on your abilities as a parent or partner. Remember, it’s okay to acknowledge that this is hard. Sometimes just recognizing the struggle can be a big step.

Try to find small moments for self-care, even if it’s just a few minutes a day. Communicating with your partner about how you're feeling might also help, even if it’s just to let them know you’re struggling a bit. They might be feeling similarly and it could open a door to mutual support.

If you ever feel that talking to someone might help, even though it feels uncomfortable, it could provide some relief. There are also online communities and resources for dads that can offer support and advice from those who’ve been through similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dano650

I really appreciate your advice. I just hate snapping at my partner and child. I am usually quiet and hate upsetting people. I can see the upset in my child's eyes when I snap at them and it hurts me seeing them like that. I just think trying to look after two kids will need time to get use too. Our two year old is full on but in a good way. Just full of energy. I use to look forward to when they went to bed so I could just sit down in front of the TV with a cuppa and relax. Now when there gone to bed the baby is due a feed and you don't have as much time now to having that relaxing few hours. I am going to book an appointment to see my doctor next week and see what they say.

Advertisement