Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dear places that sell food

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Very strange.

I think you're taking this way too seriously. Eating out three times in a day and refusing the food each time because they offered you an alternative beverage. You need to lighten up and relax, enjoy yourself. That's a lot of stress & anxiety trying to find alternative restaurants to meet your needs, I can see it in your postings on the subject here. Try deep breathing, exercise, less junk food and less fizzy drinks.

Substituting fizzy drinks for water is an awful idea. Try sparkling water with a cordial. Much better for you altogether.

Back to basics is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Ye you're entitled to go wherever you like but leaving 3 places sounds mad just to have a bit of food because there isn't Diet Coke available.

I love a pint of Carlsberg with my meal, they don't have it I'll have Heineken, Coors, whatever larger that they do have. Didn't think adults would be that fussy.

Genuine question if you go to a gig for a few hours and you find out they don't have diet coke, would you leave or just have something else instead?

I googled the decline of Diet Coke because I think the OP has a point. Some worrying stories out there. You may have hit on something serious.

Turns out Diet Coke could be quiet addictive. This might explain Potential Monke's irrational behaviour.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/11/well/eat/diet-coke-addiction.html

"After I discovered Diet Coke in 1982, I drank at least three to four 12-ounce cans nearly every day for the next four decades, no matter where in the world I was. I was the person who avoided certain airlines because they only served Pepsi."

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/08/how-experts-say-my-brain-and-body-are-better-after-giving-up-diet-coke.html

"It was true, now that I thought about it, that I had fewer panic attacks over the past year. But why would a fizzy drink have that kind of an effect?"

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/feb/02/the-real-thing-my-battle-to-beat-a-27-year-diet-coke-addiction

"I recently spent a year on prescription medication for a stomach condition that was almost certainly triggered by my overconsumption of Diet Coke, according to my GP. If enduring an endoscopy won’t stop you drinking fizzy drinks, you know you are addicted."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Settle down there Dr. Rambo. You're making up stuff again. You again assume I ate out 3 times that day. I didn't, I went to 3 places in a row that didn't serve it until I found one. It took 5 minutes. Less actually as the 3 places were basically beside each other. Mad that. Let me break it down a bit more for you so your overactive imagination can take it in:

• I went to place A, stood at the counter, ordered food, asked for Diet Coke, they said is Coke Zero Ok, I said no. I then said "thank you anyway", and left.
    • I went to place B, stood at the counter, ordered food, asked for Diet Coke, they said they don't have it, is Coke Zero Ok, I said no. I then said "thank you anyway", and left.
    • I went to place C, stood at the counter, ordered food, asked for Diet Coke, they said is Coke Zero Ok, I said no. I then said "thank you anyway", and left.
    • I went to place D, stood at the counter, ordered food, asked for Diet Coke, paid, sat down, had my food dropped down, ate it, enjoyed it, went back to work.

Granted, I didn't do a blow by blow in my opening post, but I didn't think people would take such liberties with the creation of what actually happened. Any more questions, just invent the answer like you have been doing. I guarantee I could give up diet coke quicker than nearly anyone else could give up the booze. But I'm in the habit of drinking what I like rather than what I don't when I'm paying for it. Very childish of me…

It's great that you enjoy other beers than your favourite. I enjoy Diet Coke. I find other drinks detract from the overall experience. I didn't used to have this issue. Places used to be cheap enough that an alternative was acceptable. But when even the cheapest places are starting to charge €15-€20 for a meal for one, then I'm wanting exactly what I like. I wouldn't be at gigs because I don't drink and people who are drinking are painful to put up with. Also, imo, gigs ruin the bands, but that's a 100% personal preference. I also wouldn't be in a bar/club drinking diet coke either, because they're trying to charge upwards of €3.50 for the 150ml glass bottle now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Well then you're essentially going out for a diet coke with food on the side…

Why did you order in the other 2 places before just asking first if they had diet coke?

A gig ruins the band? So if your favourite band/singer whoever they may be were playing you think seeing them live would ruin it? You've got some very contrary points of view on life.

You sound like great craic at parties, although actually you wouldn't be at them with all those painful people to be around. Pretty sure the wait staff feel the same about you.

Anyway enjoy your café crawls through town searching for the illustrious and vastly inferior Diet Coke.

Ah, glad you clarified. It was all a bit muddy and sounded like a nutcase. You should explain things properly in the opening post.

Can I ask what type of places you're eating in? I'm guessing ethnic quick eats (Mexican, Asian etc…) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ok, while we are at comparing this and that cola products I am wondering what in the name &%(% happened to tropical fanta (red one) and pink soda?

No sign of red fanta for the last few months and the only coca cola pink soda I can find is in tiny 150ml bottles which I consider as an insult. People go on about resources, saving the planet and all things green and you find these tiny cans… Perhaps coca cola wanted to corner midgets market or something like that, it made it ridiculously overpriced anyway. Did not see proper bottle of it for a long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dear restaurants,

Please stop using superfluously flowery language in your menu descriptions. It makes you look ridiculous and insecure.

It's a salad.

(I'm hijacking again, sorry OP)

Wouldn't even stretch to buy Feta! "Greek Cheese"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Salad and a Diet Coke seems too obvious. It's no Big Mac meal, large, with a Diet Coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

As far as I know, New Coke never made it out of the US in its original form. There were plans to roll it out globally but that was stopped due to the backlash they got.

Edit: that was supposed to be a reply to @o1s1n but I somehow deleted the quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ireland is the only place I know where every pub has to have everything on tap. And it's even changing here.

In the UK different pubs will have a completely different set of lagers so a pub crawl involves just "getting over it". In Spain it's usually just 1 or 2 taps for the whole bar and charges from pub to pub. So ya you do just have to have "Beamish instead of Guinness" sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dear food places stop doing the following:

Menus at entrance with no prices.

Wanky ways of serving food, on a plank, or a stone.

Coming over to ask of I'm enjoying my meal when my face is full.

QR codes instead of menus.

Fwiw I dislike any form of cola. Childrens' drinks marginally useful for cleaning machine parts.

"Coming over to ask of I'm enjoying my meal when my face is full"

Artie Bucco!

Advertisement