Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€500 trade in

• 26-07-2024 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38

I bought a used car recently and traded in an old car for €500 trade in value. The new car was 20k.

I travelled across country and bought from a main dealer that offered delivery and collection of the trade in. The car was delivered today and I was surprised that someone drove it from the dealership and was driving the trade in back. I had assumed it would be delivered on a flatbed. It's a 2hr drive.

The car I traded in was driving fine but was mainly a run around and hasn't done any significant milage in a few years. It's over 18yrs old. I got a message this evening from the dealer saying the car broke down half way and he had to get it towed. He says engine light was on and engine was knocking when his driver picked it up which is completely untrue. He's says driver should have never drove it.

I have literally drove it every day this week without and issues or any lights on dash. It's just left a sour taste. I bought from a main dealer for peace of mind and for the warranty provided. I paid a premium not to have to deal with this crap. I would expect this messing if i sold a car on done deal myself. Am I right to be annoyed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes, shouldn’t be expected from a main dealer after buying a €500 car. Ignore them as there is nothing they can do about it. Thats the chance they take driving a €500 car across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tough, dealer is an idiot telling you about it breaking down, the reliability expectation on a €500 car would be low as you can possibly get especially for a 2 hour drive.

If they had any sense or professionalism they would have done the whole thing by delivering your new car by flatbed and bringing your old car back. I'd be writing them a complaint or review telling them their services were below par and amateur for a main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I wouldn't really have issue with someone driving your new (used) car 2hrs. That's maximum 240km extra on the clock, not OK for a new car, but on a 2nd hand I wouldn't care.

The dealer knows you won't be back to them for service as you're far away, so when the guy doing the dropoff and collection rags your old car down the road and maybe damaged it, it's easy for him and the sales rep to make you the scapegoat, and tell the main manager that they had a go at you rather than take responsibility for abusing your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Forget about it.

Unless of course you have a warranty issue with the new car.

In which case he will probably be a bit awkward with you.

Just hold him to the terms if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They gave you 500 which was probably less than zero in reality.

The main benefit they were trying to gain from the trade in was to save the use of a delivery truck. That backfired on them but that is their issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

A delivery truck is probably 500, so they thought they were pulling a fast one.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

They are a 2 hour drive from the dealership anyway so warranty will be awkward regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

True.

But he's a messer just the same.

Best avoided if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 FortunaMan

Thanks for the replies. It's more or less waht I thought but feel better people agree and think it's not on.

The only concern I have going forward is if I have any warranty issues but warranty in mapfre anyway so I think I could theoritcly go elsewhere.

I still haven't recieved the log book yet. I don't think he can hold this ransom but I'm literally confused as to why he was messaging me this evening telling me this story.

I was on cloud 9 out spinning in my new car and it knocked the wind out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

I had a similiar situation.They took my old car to get the deal over the line.I'd say it was immediately scrapped.Wasn't your old car sold as seen or not seen.The e500 was a discount on the deal.Dealer's problem now and can't understand why he would message you about a "fault"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Mapre warranty at a main dealer ? How old Is car ? Is it the brand the dealer holds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

From your OP, which is it? Was the car used daily until recently or done hardly any mileage in years?
    Did the dealer say why they were calling you to tell you that the car (that was now legally theirs) broke down? What did they expect you to do about it?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Is it an opel ?

I thought it was mostly used car dealers who used those warranties

It was used daily but only averaged 3k km per year for the last few years.

We have a larger/newer car we use going everywhere. He contacted my by txt and didn't answer when I tried to call back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

F… him. Wouldn’t give it an another thought. Sounds like a right tosser. Texting you that it broke down? Juvenile stuff.
    Block the number and move on.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement