Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rust on panel removal / repair

• 26-07-2024 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

Hello

I've some rust that is slowly getting worse on a front side panel.

Any suggestions or pointers in how to remove or repair it?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Not really a DYI job there unless you have fabricator skills, thats more of a cut out and replace job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Any idea what a job like that may cost? Thanks

You would be talking more than would be worth spending on the car by the looks.

The rust doesn't appear to be that bad from the pics so I would give it a shot using my below suggestions but if it is rusted through you would need to use isopon fibreglass filler and regular bondo filler and would be beyond most people

To do a job to just to stop it rusting through sand it back to bare metal and use rust remover on it, then spray prime it, wet sand it with 2,500 grit sandpaper and prime again, apply 2 coats of paint and then a coat of clear coat.

Any motor factors will be able to advise on the best products and give you paint that will match.

Load of videos on YouTube that will help you, paint society is a good channel where he has sprayed whole cars using rattle cans

Edit, watch this video will show you everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

Cheers for that. Yeah, ideally I was hoping to tackle it myself. I'm not that interested in getting perfect results, more just to stop the rot.

Easy job then man, just do what I described above and use the YouTube video for help.

Main thing is you get it back to bare metal and use some sort of rust treatment which any local place should be able to provide you with and help on how to apply

• Advertisement
Advertisement