Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

• 26-07-2024 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Saw a similar question on Reddit. Apart from the high cost of living and poor services.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cultural Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

Complaining in a barbers, seems typically Irish not to.

You could be sitting there stewing after a barber has made a right bollox of your hair, but when they ask "How's that looking?"

Do we say, no would you mind tidying that up, take another bit off the top... do we fúck...

"That's perfect, thanks!!"

And here's a fiver tip for my shyte haircut.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You 1st op.

At least offer something to the conversation - apart from robbing an idea from reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

People can’t gather as a group without getting pissed

The ‘buy local’ nonsense, when buying local generally means getting a fist the size of Andre The Giant’s stuck up your ass to buy the same thing you could get for half the price on Amazon. Half the time the ‘buying local’ is actually just someone dropshipping anyway….

The person who doesn’t drink is ‘boring’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Being incredibly sensitive to general criticism.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Father Ted memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

"Trad sessions" so feckin serious and boring for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

All the leprechaun shite everybody wears paddy’s day / sporting events.

We should have stuck with the original blue flag - forty shades of green white and orange shite are minging.

• Advertisement

Drinking til you puke

Pipe bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

Negative threads on boards.

Come-all-ye/seanos songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Slagging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭webpal

Funeral crashers, you know the folk that just turn up for the dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The 'famous celebrity is on holiday in Ireland' shite. We are a very accessible and well off country in Western Europe.

It'd be far more random if they were visiting Central African Republic or Micronesia, but even their media wouldn't over-hype it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Hating anything got to do with England even though you follow an English football team and regularly travel there for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Lavdogg

Minimum pricing for alcohol

Obsession with the Irish Rugby Team

Lack of investement in a proper rail network

Dinasours on TV and in politics

Virgin Media TV channels, how many episodes of the chase is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bartkingcole

GAA jerseys.

A bandwagon - Taylor Swift the latest one.

Everything St. Patrick’s Day

Hyping up the rugby team at every opportunity.

Media personalities. Combined with bad radio and TV.

The round system and the need to always have ‘pints’.

Friendly Irish who are actually just nosey.

Self important civil servants who would not last a day in the private sector (there are some great ones too but a minority).

Short termism on policies and planning. Terrible.

Poor quality of politicians and leaders (linked to above).

Private school cliques which follow into universities.

An extraordinary ability to get offended at anything - who cares.

The web summit.

Tayto are not the best crisps and hurling is not the greatest game in the world.

to balance this out.

• dun Laoghaire pier on a crisp winters days
    • fantastic beaches and golf courses.
    • Great fish and seafood and steak and black pudding.
    • Colorful houses in rural Ireland especially west cork
    • The fact that we would support a donkey or a fly in an Irish jerseys
    • Nice whiskeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

GAA cultists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think in general Irish people live with a little "saudade". Generally i think we are the coolest and most interesting people in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Scumbags who litter and break things just because. A serious lack of civic pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The eagerness of people to tell you who their cousin are ,I live in rural Ireland ( but not where I grew up) and it's almost like it's a deliberate reminder that I'm not from the area

We love being clannish

Post edited by gym_imposter on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Never visit New Zealand if you think we are thin skinned on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

Chanting 'Ole, ole ole, ole" at every sporting event, especially soccer games. It's got no connection to Ireland or Irish culture whatsoever, it's so cringeworthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭scrotist

We are no different from North Korea.

For some reason, Irish people completely worship the president. I can't even remember his name, but it's Miggledy Higgins or something. I couldn't give a fecking shyte about him. But it seems everybody just absolutely loves everything he does. "Here's a photo of Miggledy HIggins drinking a cup of tea". 5,000 comments with people saying "he's the best president ever I love him!!!!" He doesn't give the slightest shyte about you, why do you love him? It's literally like the North Koreans worshipping Kim Jong Un.

More North Korean stuff:

Everything only happens in Ireland. Here's a photo of a tractor in the countryside causing a bit of a traffic jam. "Only in Ireland bai hahah sum laf 😂" Literally no awareness of the world outside of your village.

More North Korean stuff:

"Irish food and produce is the best in the word. We have unbelievable quality produce". Somehow this mind virus has infected everybody on this island. I've heard we're a well travelled bunch, but I'm beginning to seriously doubt that. Maybe Irish people do travel a lot, but they stay in the Irish pub and hang out with Irish people, and just eat Taytos and McDonalds when they're abroad.

Any time I hear somebody saying we have the best produce in the world, I ask them what food exactly they're on about. They get flustered and go into a state of shock. Nobody has ever questioned this propaganda. They say "Uhhh…. well…. uhhh……… we have good butter like. And good beef?" So in the space of 5 seconds the propaganda goes from "best produce in the world" to two products. And we don't even appear on a google search of "best beef in the world". I know this is anecdotal but I've had tastier beef in Africa and South America. And they only use a bit of salt. No need to hide the flavour with garlic and rosemary and thyme like we do here. Yes our butter is delicious. No argument with that. But get your head out of your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The obsession with American politics, so much so that they call themselves Trump or Harris fans! They could care less about Irish politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Trawling through the genealogy of every American president trying to find some "Irish" in them somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement