Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Agree. Settled Irish people are fond of gaudy displays of wealth.

Awful looking houses filled with live laugh love decor and the obligatory SUV in the driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The Fairweather GAA Supporters in every county. Those when their team gets to an AI semi final get on the band wagon to Croker

Yet the likes of them get All-Ireland Final tickets while a lot of the genuine supporters don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd be a fairweather fan and I'd say if I tried hard enough I could've gotten a ticket for the hurling (Cork) but honestly I couldn't accept one if I was offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Xander10

We haven't seem them for awhile. The Irish supporters that attend euros etc and the "aren't we the funniest in the World"

The ones that annoy the likes of the locals on a train going to work, with cringe singing at them. Poor locals grin out of courtesy in the hope they will go away and leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

We have the Republic of Ireland football team for that. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

The whole dispensational theology thing is a pile of crap. Maybe I should have said that in my original post…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We're inherently dishonest.

I don't mean wink, nod, fix that ticket for me like a good man.

Well I do mean that too, but I mainly refer to the cowardice when having a problem with someone or something, we fail to address it directly, but piss, whinge and sh1t-talk behind the back of the person or entity in question instead, often embellishing the original problem in an attempt to damage them vindictively.

Which also makes us massive hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Overly big houses with no thought given to design, practicalities or aesthetics. We definitely adopt a “more is more” attitude when it comes to building houses here. And pine, lots of pine. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭boardise

Leaving flags flying from windows , in gardens and from cars ( yugh) for weeks after a game -especially when the team lost.

Slathering GAA county colours over notices ,on vans, lorries etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The dreadful lack of directness in addressing a problem or a person who we don't like - dancing around the issue without facing it head-on and resolving it - instead bitching, whinging and moaning about it to others in order to feel good about ourselves.

And still, the problem remains unresolved…

• Advertisement

Pastiches of the (ironically much hated) Anglo-Irish Big House, but in concrete and PVC.

It's amazing the amount of money that gets poured into them but they still manage to look cheap. Blots on the landscape.

The village wouldn't be complete without the obligatory banger in team colours dumped at the side of the road.

Most of the 'crap about language ' is produced by Gaelic revival propagandists. As for heritage -it is natural and useful to critique it and effect change where desirable. Consider so many traditions and practices which have been discontinued -faction fights , drunken wakes, mourning habits like wearing only black , solemn requiem masses etc. , applying the death penalty , freeing women from servitude -there's a long list.

As for Britain -it's our nearest neighbour with which we have innumerable cultural ,social and economic connections which operate greatly to our benefit. Those who profess to 'hate England' are indulging in a ridiculous limiting form of stunted and futile behaviour -I pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Misquoting what I said tells a lot. I didn't say 'crap about language', I said 'crap about our language'. You obviously have an issue about calling it our language and have a pro British outlook on life. I don't care if you do, I don't hate England or anything like that. I'm just bemoaning the fact that there's so many who belittle our culture and have a lot of self hate. That shouldn't exist, we should be proud of our heritage, our culture, our language. It's amazing and luckily there's enough of us that will continually promote it and it will never die. 😊

No hedge is complete without some drinks cans nestling among the branches . Likewise every public green area needs to be decorated with some plastic detritus. Seemingly immutable Irish predilections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have come across stuff dumped which was the detritus of purchases in Polish shops. How bad are the Irish in comparison to other countries?

Also the practice of attaching balconies ( in Ireland ! )and Spanish arches to ordinary houses and having huge elaborate iron gates into a small suburban garden . WTF ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I buy stuff in polish shops. In fact, only today I was at my.closest polish supermarket buying lots of different items. Btw, I'm not Polish.

Nobody can prove that what Boardsie saw in our hedges was dumped there by Irish people.

Nobody can prove it was dumped by any specific nationality.

But tbf, there is a massive reduction in the amount of rubbish dumped in this.country compared to when I grew up in the 70s & 80s.

• Advertisement

I think it is part of the culture in a lot of countries. I hate it regardless of who does it.

I understand that centuries ago many Irish people made an intelligent -in fact inspired- choice to learn English and adopt it as a valuable tool of communication -which is what language fundamentally is. What a favour they bestowed on us —to gift us a language of global reach which has helped Ireland achieve a profile far beyond what its size would warrant. There are many varieties of English -including Irish varieties which naturally mirror local colourings and traditions. As for Gaelic -it's no longer needed because English satisfies every conceivable communicational need.

The idea that every country must have 'its own language' which has the name of the counry built into it is simply wrong. Consider Argentina , Bolivia , Chile , Columbia, Uruguay , El Salvador , Venezuela, Peru etc-no one speaks Chilean , Bolivian , Peruvan -they all use their own variety of Spanish. Similarly there's no such language as Swiss , Austrian or Belgian.

On the other hand,countries like Nigeria, India , Indonesia, Papua - New Guinea have hundreds of languages in use -many with more speakers than the population of Ireland . The idea of a one-to-one correspondence between a country and a language falls apart.

Wow …good one …you must be a lawyer ?

I remember Ireland from before any other nationalities darkened the littoral. Casual littering is very much built in to everyday Irish public behaviour. I've witnessed it up close in many areas near shops and schools -I see schoolchildren littering the green across from my house -off with the wrapper -straight on to the ground. We have a great litterary tradition in this country. It's why have there been campaigns like Keep Ireland Beautiful, Tidy Towns , IBAL etc . -because there's an ugly prevalence of littering in our public spaces which seems nigh on impossible to shift.

As for the Poles , maybe it's their way of integrating , y'know , when in Ireland do as the Irish do.

Oh ,and BTW , I'd keep a beady eye on those Ukrainians if I were you …..

And those Columbians. Are they British Columbians?

There is a lot of litter in Toronto, Canada. And in Melbourne, Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The way the Guards and Government beg the people to behave on the roads, heard them at it on the radio today, as if it will work. just hand out 500 euro fines for phone use, give them 6 points. why are they so afraid to nip things like that in the bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

how the culture of the corruption, incompetency, maliciousness and malevolence in people enabled with positions of power and responsibility is overlooked and or excused… seen in workplaces, politics, clubs, or anywhere with a hierarchy.

Yet the same people who overlook and excuse it would also throw anyone under the bus seen as ‘beneath’ them or a threat to them….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

because now everyone has an excuse, doctors note and a sob story…

You can accidentally go over the speed limit, accidentally misjudge a light and go through an amber to red..

You can’t take or make a phone call by accident yet the law is of little deterrent to phone users.

Tbf, in the 1920s Ireland was attempting to rid itself of violence. An Garda Siochana, guardians of the Peace, was set up as an unarmed Force, unheard of then, in an attempt to move the population away from violence.

As an unarmed Force, they needed the assistance of the population, they needed everyone to get in board with the policing by consent. Which we still have do this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The will isn't there and the culture in AGS has always been problematic. My neighbour had a Garda apologise to him for "doing him" in a 50kph zone when he was doing 59kph. That's the culture you're dealing with. The guy who got the fine was less upset than the guy giving it out. You couldn't make it up.

Advertisement