Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Spice Bag is the same. It is almost like some twats sit down and say to themselves from now on my whole personailty will revolve around the fact I like Guinness and/or Spice Bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But why is the inheritance of an asset for someone in the farming profession, scrutinised so much more than anyone else inheriting an asset?

Is it?

They pay their inheritance tax like the next guy dont they?

No. Massive exemptions when inheriting a farm.

Re tax, again, there are guys paying and dodging tax in every profession. In truth a farmers tax is actually reinvested in local businesses at a much higher rate than a lot of others. They reinvest in farm machinery, source materials in hardware shops etc. Looking at the thing objectively - farmers actually support local businesses with their taxes really well. And yet, this is never the narrative.

Their tax is spent exactly the same as anyone else's is. If you meant their after-tax expenditure, they're not the only people who spend money in local businesses. Most of the money spent on machinery leaves the country.

Re taxpayer supported - a complete misconception. The system was in fact put in place to protect the public against volatility in markets and keep the cost of produce down consistently. It is there not to help farmers, but in fact, the consumers.

Keep the cost of produce down 🙄 yeah right. EU consumer food prices way above world prices.

The idea of a nitrates directive is supported by most farmers.

Well then the opponents must be a very noisy minority because they're the only ones being heard.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I've never had one. The local chippers don't do them and the local Chineses don't either. I don't care either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Yes it is far more scrutinised - it is very often the first thing people throw at farmers. The same isnt true for people involved in other professions.

Re tax exemptions, farmers only qualify for those if agricultural property takes up something like 80% of your total property value. There are actually very few people who could qualify for that and it is more of a protection for a narrow band of cases, but of course, some people will just assume that all farmers get these huge tax breaks, when in fact the vast majority are subject to the same inheritance band limits as everyone else. But thanks, your response in a nutshell underlines what I am referring to. Dont bother really researching any details, just assume it is those sneaky auld farmers getting soft treatment again.

Re tax spent, you misunderstand me. Farms, like any business, will write off expenses from their tax bill - materials, cost of doing business etc. However, farmers spend those that money locally, where it is reinvested in local hardware shops, marts etc. - keeping people employed locally. How many other business do that? Most are ordering from overseas.

Yes, keep the cost down - that is the whole point of the system. It is to protect against volatility in the market and keep high quality meat within the reach of as many people as possible. EU costs are higher because standards are miles better. If you still find it expensive then by all means fill up on the untraceable stuff piled full of growth hormone and antibiotics. Again, you are talking on a topic, but you are giving the impression that you arent really well informed on what you are talking about.

RE nitrates directive, as I said, friends in the media. Thousands of farmers along the western seaboard are farming in a manner than is actually sequestering carbon and maintaining uplands. They use minute levels of fertilisers, pesticides and antibiotics. They have no interest in nitrates directives because they are miles below those levels of nitrates. They farm in sustainable ways using non-monocultured ground and have been doing so for 100 odd years. Has any of that ever appeared in the farming media? They dont want to know about it, and they especially dont want anyone in Europe to know about it. If you want to see another example, look up convergence of farm payments - the most obvious example of making things a bit fairer for everyone that you are likely to see, yet it had to be forced in from Europe because the farm lobbies here are the same guys worried about nitrate directives. Fake news and (alleged) corruption at the top, like a lot of sectors truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The explosion of trad bands since the pandemic with cringeworthy names….

"The Porter Bellies"

"The Tumbling Paddies"

"The JCB Man"

"The Mary Wallopers"

"The Auld Brigade"

"The Highstool Prophets"

"The Whistlin' Donkeys"

"All Folk'd up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

The virulent increase of things that are TABOO to talk about across topics, from Society and Culture to Tech. If you do talk about them, you are reprimanded and are moreover given the 'cold shoulder' and ignored in convo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm right and you're wrong, woke hipster #&*!bag babies as far as the eye can see. intolerance for adults with autism(personal hill I am currently dying on) health service is shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭boardlady

I agree with this. In fact, Boards has enlightened me to the attitudes that some folks have to all rural dwellers in general. I grew up in Dublin but now live rurally and i'm shocked at how derided and looked-down-on rural folks are by many living in urban settings. And, it's fuelled by complete ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

Littering. It's my pet peeve. Why do people have to throw their crap on the ground? You don't seem to see it as much in other countries. Not predominantly an Irish thing and plenty of people clean up after themselves, but there's a casual attitude "ah sure someone else will clean it.." Other than that, our culture is perfectly grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish journalism: Irish person does job, but in another country.

You're not interesting or special Emer, teaching in Dubai, musing about missing Spice bags and Taytos, going to the same faux Irish pub every weekend. Half the country is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭chrissb8

THANK YOU, was just thinking about this, this morning. Laura Kennedy and Brianna Perkins are two Irish Times writers in Australia and all their articles are just "The Irish through a lens of Australian comparison".

Like great, you moved to Australia, I'm here in Ireland reading about you half the world away, writing for an Irish national paper about Irish culture/zeitgest/government. Why? You're irrelevant to me as a reader. You're out of the loop and your opinion is the equivalent of standing outside a house looking in the window and picking up one or two words and looking onward, but still trying to join the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

There's easily as much if not more complete crap written about Dublin, it's a kip, not safe, gets all the infrastructure (??), businesses / airlines / civil servants should be forcibly relocated out of there, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

"Driving:Poor standard as evidenced with how the majority of people think it's ok to drive in the middle lane of M50"

Not by any means unique to the south of Ireland - drive on any UK mainland motorway and you'll find the same. Four-lane or five-lane motorways can like the "Whacky Races". At least in Northern Ireland we stuck to two-lane motorways, where the only issue is being stuck for miles behind an HGV trying to pass an R-plate driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irishiron

I run Irish Iron, their Official Supporters Club in Ireland.

Scunthorpe has a huge Irish diaspora as has Lincolnshire generally as work was available both in the steelworks and in agriculture.

Many of them join Irish Iron every season as all funds we raise goes to the Club as sponsorship.

We celebrate our 30th anniversary this season and have a special unique Irish Whiskey for sale to Members in conjunction with our Friends at Sliabh Liag Distillers here in Donegal.

You can find out more on Twitter/Facebook by searching Irishironsc. or email irishironsc@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irishiron

Thank you! I only found out about being mentioned here when a friend told me today

All the best

• Advertisement
Advertisement