Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Very unpopular fact in some higher circles but spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The general insecurity and constant need to seek praise and get a pat on the head from other countries or international organizations. We have a weird need for everyone to like us.

Similar the constant need to latch on to anyone famous with even the most minor of links to Ireland.

Our general acceptance of terrible public services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main difference between Miggledy and Kim Jung is that Miggledy was elected. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Gobshytery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

In terms of housing Ireland is a terrible disaster for a so called first world country. Middle class will Tut Tut about the homeless and secretly enjoy watching their house prices increase.

Ireland also has fallen behind badly in built infrastructure , Asian countries are leap frogging ahead by just 'getting **** done ' instead of **** around for the last twenty five years or so like Irish governments have .

Lack of ambition in govt and civil servant circles , but even in the private sector could be much better.

The quality of foodstuffs is great but the food many people eat is terrible muck. Chippers three in one and slpce bags, pizza chains , Eddie rockets, service station forecourts with kids stuffing massive amounts of sweet ice cream down their gobs and very few decent coffee shops. Ireland has a huge obesity problem people just take on too many calories.

Lack of decent gym chains also puzzles me!!

Pubs still pretty good though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wouldnt disagree with much there, but you ll actually find many 'advanced' countries also struggling with the exact same issues, we really arent exceptional in regards these problems, we ve all managed to follow each other into similar black holes….

…western political and economic policies over the last few decades are purely to blame, and this has come from both sides of the political spectrum, one of the main aspects of this has been outsourcing to the east….and the east is making hay!

…i.e. our issues are far greater than the failings within our own political system, far far greater!

..we have completely infantilised our states ability to react to our most critical of needs, and now we dont know what to do, and changing governments probably wouldnt yield much difference….

…the private sector is consumed by maximizing, which doesnt necessarily mean it does whats good for all, all the time….

…humans tend to respond well to over eating as a stress response….

…all in all, we re fcuked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Flyefit appeaar to be doing well.

They have about 20 gyms, just in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Never enforcing rules, park on footpaths, litter, piss up against a business doorway, and kick someone on the ground on a night out and people just look on like its normal, and the Guards don't want to know in case they have to do a bit of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Drink, and the sheer number of people unable to enjoy anything without it. A friend of mine who's a musician thats off the drink describes alcoholism as an occupational hazard.

Quite a large amount of people that are described as "savage craic/mad bastards" are as dull as dishwater once removed from the pub.

If you've hobbies other than drink, GAA, soccer or horse racing, you've little to no support with resources at best or seen as a weirdo or even suspicious at worst.

Nobody with money can do any wrong i.e "Mr. X is a pr1ck" . "Ah but he made his money so fair play".

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

The "shushing" in a pub when some tuneless moron is being given a slot at the equally annoying trad session.

• Advertisement

This notion we are so friendly, how many times have you said hello to some ignorant Irish man who is staring at you to be met with a blank stare and no reply and maybe even a dirty look? look how a huge amount of Irish people drive now, so aggressive and selfish, we aren't as friendly as everyone makes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Irish people sipping on a latte while simultaneously lamenting how we're all living in a 'so called' first world country absolutely grinds my gears. As if we're a step away from being Liberia.

Or the usual 'We've a third world health system'.

Okay then, go and have your bowel surgery in Afghanistan instead of St Vincent's and let us all know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Taxi drivers constantly taking the piss over card payments especially in Dublin. Last lad told me his machine was broken so he'd drive me to an atm. Refused and told him he wouldn't be getting paid if he continued with that shite. Miraculously the machine came back to life. Entitled fuckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

How Irish people look down on the likes of taxi drivers, even though they are probably making twice or 3 times the snobs wages on less hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Our obsession with telling everyone what great drinkers we are. We’re not. We just think we are. Weird thing to be boasting about as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

saudade is a Portuguese word that should be in regular use. Same as hygge from Scandinavia. There could be saudade for some things old combined with modern cosy hygge: saudade-hygge (pronounced Sow-daj hoo-ga (the op as per Northern Ireland)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The shushing in a pub when a penalty or conversion is being kicked in a rugby game on the tv.

I think this is particularly with Irish people who are/have been in regular contact with relatives in Amerikay, and have exchanged visits etc. I’ve relatives in California I met once, who are particularly educated and would likely be, though not expressively so, pro Dem. I met them, all younger folk college going, reading Shakespeare etc. I also have relatives east coast, never met but connected on genealogy site and very friendly, offering me holiday accommodation but would be very pro Trump.

On my mother’s father’s side were two brothers who fought on opposite sides in the American Civil War. I do love genealogy, but don’t go all-American on it 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭yagan

No rail between the capitol city and its airport. That fact alone encapsulates our lack of forward planning and then the added burden of objectors holding up critical infrastructure on environmental grounds.

Touched a nerve? I pointed out malpractice and you come back with that. Do u take cards ?

Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Bielsa2020

People who don’t know where the door is. If you don’t like it folks, it’s not North Korea (even if someone thinks it is), you can leave anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You can love your country without loving every single aspect of the culture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

Remember when they gave out about them letting to much people do it. You pick a largely unskilled job and then you give out that other people are following suit. Bizzare.

Advertisement