Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

the need to be liked as a country is a bit annoying , although I expect it’s common with other small countries. From travelling to different countries though we do seem very well liked, maybe it’s the want to try keep that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭L Grey

The disingenuous talk of 'community' and 'family'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

There's a large subsection of the population who havn't stepped off the island before. Theres actually a large cohort who never leave their parish. If you think we're big drinkers, go to eastern europe. Poland, some of the Baltic states make us look teetotal. As you say, its a weird thing to be proud of to begin with.

We fought off the British for 800 years. We got independence and made a complete pigs ear of things to the point that we call the RAF when we need our skies guarded or the Royal Navy when we need our seas patrolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Wakes. Irish people are very entitled when it comes to the grief of others. Always hear about the same arseholes using them as an excuse to drink. Great to see more and more people refusing to host this pish in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Your first sentence are there any stats on number of people who’ve never been out of Ireland. Not saying you are wrong but think nearly everyone I know has been off the island. I know one who hasn’t due to fear of flying but don’t think that’s very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭flatty

Marty, duignan and Ursula.

The infantile need for attention.

"The Brits couldn't beleeeeve that them lads are amateur"

Gaelscoil elbows.

Tugging the forelock whilst picking the pocket.

It's a fantastic country, but sometimes I think we need to grow up a bit.

Whilst I'm on it, failure to recognise some outstanding sporting achievements. Simply qualifying for an olympic games is remarkable.

The rugby sevens team were absolutely brilliant, Gave everything they had, played really well, had no luck, and are forgotten instead of celebrated for instance (and I'm a hurling man)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Very convenient govment-speak for denying services to those that need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

Like you I don't have any figures to back up what I'm saying but I reckon Ireland would be in the top 10 percentile of populations that have travelled abroad.

In a wide group of friends,family,work colleagues etc I don't know anybody who has never left the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

"Could care less". Oh the irony. I have never seen an Irish person use this phrase. It's an Americanism.

• Advertisement

Still would be interesting to see if there are any stats maybe CSO have something . I’m guessing it would be the older generation or the very young. We do seem to like our travel abroad though probably because we are an island and can’t just hop on a train or into a car and get to another country.

I never said irish people don''t travel. I said there is a section of the population that don't.

I come from a rural area on the west coast. There are a few people in the locality who consider a big adventure as going into Galway city for the day. Sure, most Irish people are well travelled. J1 visas, a week in magaluf to celebrate finishing the Leaving. Austrlia and Dubai are common destinations too - for most people. Not all.

Even Christy Moore mentions it in Joxer Goes to Stuttgart.

"Oh, some of the lads had never been away from home before,

Twas the first time Whacker set his foot outside of Inchicore"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I knew loads of dubs that never left Dublin till they were in their 20s!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Really don't think this is a downward trend and I'm seeing a revival of the traditional Irish wake in recent years.

There was a time I remember 20 or 30 years back, where all was held in the funeral home and the house was not a popular option but lately, most of the deaths I've known had the person reposed in their house.

It's a nice tradition and this tradition is often commended about us from people from outside this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's a troll. 4 pages and no-one bothered to look at the post count or previous threads. This is why the site is fecked:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ThePentagon

The "island mentality" and the lack of perspective that comes with it. It's observed in people who think something is uniquely terrible about Ireland (e.g. problems with the health service) or uniquely great (e.g. Irish friendliness or whatever) when in fact these things are true of many other countries - the people in question would know this if they just got out of the country a bit more.

(Note: I'm aware of the irony that the "island mentality" I'm complaining about might actually be common among people of many different countries so just to acknowledge that there 😄)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Not the case where I live. For more parents of people I know its no wake + scattered ashes. My own parents have asked for the same. It seems people are sick of going to wakes and dont want nosey twats they dont know in round their homes gawking at their corpse in a casket. Until we see some stats nationally I guess its no use hashing out whats going on in our localities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Irish people who are so defensive and pull on the green jersey at the slightest slight (often just a statement of the obvious) meanwhile telling a fellow Irish person to leave their country.

Pretty arrogant behaviour No you don't get to decide who stays or leaves just because you don't like their opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Interesting fact it's FAR easier to access consultants and get surgeries faster in many developing countries and even third world countries.

Yes you pay for it but it's at a reasonable price and you get it done within a month or two instead of suffering for years e.g. hip surgeries.

As for consultants you could see one tomorrow in many of these developing and 'poor' countries. Just pony up less than it would cost to see your GP in Ireland, that is if you have a GP and they will give you an appointment.

• Advertisement

We do have an island mentality though and it is what it is. Sure we like travelling and everyone I know goes on holiday , for some it’s once a year for others it’s a few. But we can’t load into the car and drive we’re heading to another country or hop on a train. It’s not that easy. Even in England they can do the channel tunnel. So even though we’re in Europe we’re still a bit away in terms of travelling there so we are a bit cut off. Would be great to have the Irish equivalent of the channel tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

We speak a foreign language daily.

Say mate like Aussies

Cool like yanks

Grammar and politics are 2 different things and 1 doesn't make a difference in our daily lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Bielsa2020

Examples? Or is this all in makey uppy land at 12:30am on a Sunday morning…

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

Tv shows like 'Mrs Brown's Boys', that portray the Irish as simpletons, total cringe and not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

People who can’t speak a fooking word of Irish pretending it’s so important in our lives..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hypocritical iirish folk.

Ranting and raving about the brits, 800 years 1916 the fighting Irish blah blah bah.

Then they go on about the premiership football team they support, saying "we" won the cup etc etc when yer man is from timahoe or some God forsaken place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Irish people using the word “awesome” is one that gets me every time. In fact North Americans using it annoys the bejaysus outta me. One time in rural Canada I had the shop assistants in stitches at my reaction to their use of “awesome”. I had said there’s no “awe” on handing you money to purchase an item! At least it’s in their muscle memory like the way much hyperbole is in my own, lol! But for an Irish person to take it in, and I see some do, it’s inexcusable.

Both my parents died in the last 2 years. One was devout catholic and one was atheist. Both opted for cremation. For both, my sister and I opted for no wake. We didn't want a load of people we may or may not know well getting drunk, poking about and trying to think of things to say "Ah he was a great fella altogether/She was a fine lady etc etc".

That was our decision, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

That's only official Ireland who has this chronic need for validation, beit meeting carbon targets or having someone from a minority background achieve distinction

Average person is more or less indifferent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Taxi driving is an extremely insecure business and the insurance costs make it unviable for many, I don't blame any of them who accept cash only

Advertisement