Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You misunderstand me. I dont mean the council send out bills for rubbish collection, I mean it gets paid for from government coffers. If you charge someone for taking away their rubbish, some people will find a way to get rid of it for free, be it fly tipping, or putting nappies in green bins, or throwing it behind a hedge.

Its the broken window phenomenon, except, its all over our towns and cities. With litter everywhere, people think, sure what harm is there in me dropping my crisp packet on the street. Make the place cleaner and attitudes will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Using that argument, we should allow people fill their shopping trolleys with groceries and allow people walk out without paying

If some people are acting delinquent by dumping rubbish ( it's mostly travellers anyway) , that's a matter for other authorities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The opinion that just because you work in a locality, you should be able to buy a home there. Then complain about having to travel to work and its effect on work-life balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Begrudery and jealousy

We're already seeing some begrudgery on this thread.

Using that argument, we should allow people fill their shopping trolleys with groceries and allow people walk out without paying

How did you come up with that analogy?

One of the very noticeable differences in attitude between living in the US and here, in the US they look at success and say “I wanna be that gal/guy”, here it’s “why does s/he have it and I don’t, it’s unfair”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pretty difficult not to pay some form of tax in this country. You'd want to be thinking about every cent you spent on ordering to only buy VAT exempt or zero rated goods and services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Irish dancing. Keeping your hands down by your side is not dancing. Throw some shapes FFS, jazz hands, anything!

My opinion is in no way influenced by being made to perform this atrocity in school on a slippery tiled floor, slipping and ending up doing the splits like John Travolta and my classmates laughing the paint off the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The lack of rules, or rather enforcement of rules and exceptionalism. This is especially true for motorists, you can literally drive however and wherever you like and park however and wherever you like regardless of the negative impact that has on others and there'll be nothing more said about it. We have the same attitude to crimes, folks walk around with 1,000 convictions, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Folks going on a sun holiday, to go straight to the Irish Bar because they "Wouldn't eat that foreign muck" and because they couldn't drink anything other than Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I always tell them if I need more cut off but I go to a woman's house. She is a former barber shop worker but works at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't like traditional Irish music or Irish dancing. Men doing Irish dancing looks ridiculous.

I do like Gaelic football as a sport but I dislike the typical type of person you get in a GAA club. They are pillar of the community types who always virtue signal about their volunteering efforts. I actually believe if you want to meet the worst people in a parish go to a GAA club committee meeting. They are often hot beds of egos and arguments.

I also hate many Irish sayings such as "craic" and how they say you are "no craic" as an insult. For example on this forum once a user insulted me saying I was "some craic" because I said I didn't like to travel abroad.

I hate the petrol head car culture we have in rural Ulster. These types of people seem to be interested in lorries and farming too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Regarding the northern petrol heads, I know the type, "she's a bashte of a yoke so she is hi" talking about the 2001 VW bora their mate owns which is spewing out black moke worse than chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SonicSuper

Rose of Tralee

GAA

Hoopla over the budget

Late Late toy show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Trying to squeeze into pubs that are far too warm and crowded because there's a "great buzz", waiting ages to get served

""Powerful"" people in local communities and the fawning they get

Bland food, restaurants dumbing down their menu to cater for Irish bland tastes

People getting up to their eyeballs in debt to build a monstrosity of a house with white walls, grey doors/windows, no soffits & Hyundai Tucson parked outside

The fact that Facebook is still popular here.

Sh1t coffee and the general acceptance thereof

The way people get haughty and arrogant & start snorting coke when the economy does well. Then come crawling back when the recession hits looking for your help and support saying "ah shur we'll look after each other"

The upsurge in rightwing ideology & anti-immigrant sentiment.

People voting for the same tired old governments who keep shafting us.

People waxing lyrical about their drinking holiday in Lands' Rotty or similar haunt

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

I 100% agree with you. I hate hearing that chant too and as you say it has absolutely no connection to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

My memory has gone bad but it was either late 80's or early 90's when that chant took off. Euro's 88 and world cup 1990 and then that song as well is why it's chanted to death these days.

Now my memory is really fuzzy but afaik it was a south American team were chanting it in some tournament and then the Irish supporters copied it. As I said I'm really fuzzy there so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭boetstark

That's fair enough , but when you offer the opinion that you couldn't give a toss about GAA and seeing kids going around holding hurlys especially when not even playing , and gaa jerseys when abroad , different reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I'd consider myself a petrol head, love cars + bikes of all types old and new, but can't stand the car scene in Ireland.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes. Exactly. Also living abroad and it seems so damn easy to get it right.

Dog tax pays for the dog waste bags and the dog waste bins available every 10m along walking paths. Emptied every single day, sometimes twice.

Waste isn't in the millions of ugly wheely bins all over the place, there are large underground bins, and you pay for the bags. Untaxed bag? You will be caught and fined. No "letting off".

Trees shade the street and are maintained just like old buildings and streets.

Street furniture designed to allow cleaning machines clean the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Our old rural Ireland culture re pets is in contrast with continent and even UK, but it’s changing for the better. We need to learn to better train dogs, and not have ownership as an ill-thought out decision, and of course don’t get me started on XL Bully/intimidating breed culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭pjordan

Whilst many of the unemployed and "working classes" may not contribute much in the way of income tax, I would suggest that their proportion of contribution to booze and tobacco duties (aside from the smuggled ciggies) as well as the indirect "Lotto" tax is considerable.

One of my own gripes is the NGO/Charity industry where there is a multiplicity of different agencies for a whole variety of different causes or needs (homeless, mental health, cancer, etc) in what is undoubtedly a very lucrative and self perpetuating industry that absolves the central Govt and agencies of any responsibility to address the issues beyond financing these charities.

Accordingly it defies logic as to why many within the industry have no real motivation to solve the problem as they would eliminate their own necessity for existence. Allied with that is the adulation that many of the senior well paid executives within these charities receive for their efforts because of the goodwill "industry" they work in (They're not volunteers doing it for nothing, unlike so many people making real sacrifices of their time and person finances in real charities and clubs around the country!). All that and the amount of corruption and misappropriation and personal abuse of finances that have emerged by a variety of charities down the years have left me very disillusioned with this entire sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Irish people who have to pretend to dislike England, because sure isn’t that what we’re supposed to do?! And when you look at it, we’re deeply immersed in British interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Looking at any sporting event where the national anthems will be played before the game. Witness the passion and pride of other nations as they sing out their national anthem to their hearts' desire, proud of their country. Then witness what the British did to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Easily Forgiving and Forgetting the effect Strikes and Industrial Disputes by Irish Businesses on the end user, by the end user.

Post Strike Watch the glossy TV and YouTube ads by the same outfits, as if the strikes never happened at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where abroad? I think wherever it was a quick Google will lead me to complaints from the locals about problems with waste.

Advertisement