Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been made redundant

Options
  • 27-07-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Can I wait a few months before making a fresh claim for unemployment benefits

Haven’t had a holiday in years and have an elderly sick mother in UK - a few months off now while I have chance actually makes sense - If i start new job - I wouldnt be taking any holidays in first 6 months until after probation!!

Can I wait a few months before making a claim

Will that effect my claim in anyway - I have 12 years as a relatively high earner and contributed a lot in terms of taxes to Irish government etc

I understand new Irish law whereby job seekers allowance is linked to contributions over 5+ years- coming in on October 1st , I believe- whereby people who have a history over past 5 years of major contributions will be paid job seekers allowance at an increased rate.

Is it ok if go on holiday - & look after family matters and make a fresh claim from Oct 1st and still qualify for the new increased rate?

I hope I don’t have to sign on at all but the increased security that the higher rate may help tide me over & pay bills until i get a new job??

Any advice appreciated !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

That should be fine. You'll usually be asked why you didn't sign on, and how you were supporting yourself, but that's it.

Once you're not looking for them to backdate your claim, there's no issue.

Advertisement