Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No idea, I'm not familiar with the term.

But funny you focus in on that, over the death, torture and rape threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PixelCrafter

It’s someone reporting en franglais.
    ‘Grosse’ in French is large or fat.

Incorrect. It is not someone reporting in french.

Apparently it is a new english language word suggestion that was submitted to Collins English Dictionary in 2018, with the description "discrimination against overweight people".

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/submission/20007/grossophobia

Purely out of curiosity… cos to be honest it just didn’t make any sense:

There are various words used to describe the phenomenon, the two most commonly used in English being "fatphobia" or "sizeism".

However, the French equivalent – "grossophobia" – is gaining now gaining some traction thanks to an explosive new book, You're Not Born Fat, written by Gabrielle Deydier.

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/what-grossophobia-we-need-talk-about-thin-privilege-1651566

Article from 2017.

Incidentally, it didn’t gain any traction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 PixelCrafter

Je suis francophone. It's used a lot in French discussion of this topic, but I've never heard it used in English tbh.

It's the equivalent of 'fat shaming' or something similar to that.

It's fairly obvious the reporting is being influenced by the fact that the original text or discussion was in French …

Origin: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grossophobie

I merely quoted the news article about the threats that have been made to the lady DJ at the Olympic opening ceremony, which used the word.

I'm not really interested into getting into a discussion about those who shame overweight people, or the labels used to describe them.

Though if I did, I can think of a few better words than "grossphobia".

I hear you, of course there’s a serious side to the whole thing, “despicable pricks” works for me tbh, covers a multitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Did you really just use "stabby stabby" to try and back up you nonsense post after the incident in Stockport with actual children dying.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the "you can be healthy at any size" 😆 is just a cope and self delusion , good luck living past 42

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,720 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's how often in my experience the people who say you can't insult Islam have never seen things like Four Lions and the "woke people" they are arguing with usually have and love it. Coincidentally it's all my "snowflake" friends who grew up loving Curb, Sunny and South Park. The "you can't say anything these days" people tend to hate those shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No Gary, I meant the general concept of jihadism - which I absolutely despise.

dont need to, on the other hand if you cant be useful in life at least serve as a warning to otheres, TikTok promoting mental illness again

"Brittany Sauer promoted body-positivity as an influencer on TikTok.

She recently uploaded a warning video to her fans, telling them that overeating and body positivity was a huge mistake.

Unfortunately it was too late for herself. At just 28 years old, Brittany has passed away."

https://x.com/StraightOOC/status/1748378599432860099

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Well, if you won't look her up, I'll tell you about her.

She is 48 years old, and an ultra marathon runner. (That's 50km).

A very inspiring woman. Never judge a book by its cover.

an outlier doesnt prove anything , you might as well have sent me a pic of Ivan who survived 60 rounds of Russian Roulette "click here and Ill teach you how" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Apparently so, the word "fat" was removed from Roald Dahl books and replaced with "enormous". I'm a big girl and I'd way prefer fat to enormous thank you!!!

I'm Catholic and I wouldn't use the word "offended" about this - it was crass and about as entertaining as a genital wart but no offence was taken. My problem is that the creator would never in a million years even used an image of Mohammed - look at the schoolteacher in France, beheaded for doing so. They chose a cheap target for a laugh - now that IS punching down.

My problem is with the defence - Adele wears her hair in braids to Notting Hill and is forced to apologise; various tweets from 10-15 years ago are unearthed and the jobs people went for are gone - even someone dressed their kid in a Pocahontas costume cos the film was huge at the time and they're forced into a grovelling apology for the masses.

The left go out of their way to cancel anyone they think guilty of "cultural appropriation" or making fun of anyone they consider worthy - but when the shoe is on the other foot they go all guns blazing to deflect, divert and excuse - cf this thread.

Either nothing can be made fun of - or everything can. It's about fairness.

Not quite an accurate post I'm afraid - that lady created "Fat Girl Running" to try to encourage larger ladies to run (I know as I tried myself!) - she then lost 70lbs doing that, so I think you will find that is a "before" photograph after she gained weight.

Fair play to her like - tremendous achievement (both the trail/ultra running and the weight loss) but not really an example of a typical larger athlete - very much an outlier.

She is amazing though and I'd encourage any other people of a chunky build like myself to read up more.

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8020173/mirna-valerio-athlete-body-image/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Iguarantee

Throwing my 2 cents out there:

Lumping racial discrimination in the same bucket as size discrimination is a joke.

That character in the position of Jesus during the opening ceremony was morbidly obese; there shouldn’t be any protection there to prevent morbidly obese people from being called just that or being discriminated against on the basis of their size/weight.

I don’t give a single flying **** if someone has an issue with that.

We’re slowly normalising being obese. It’s not normal, it’s stupid.

dont get me wrong I like before and after stories and people with the courage to change

• Advertisement

Oh totally - she is a total inspiration to the larger lady (and gent!). I love a quote from her "it's not fun till it's past 10 miles".

Legend she is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

21 pages on this 🤣 so many snowflakes around

I like you silverharp so this one’s tough, but in this instance you really don’t have a point. I don’t care if anyone is 500lbs and declaring themselves to be the second coming of Christ. It’s the people sending death threats, rape threats and pointing out that anyone is morbidly obese, pointing out that “you wouldn’t do it to de Muslims”, are the people who demonstrate an inability to cope, to the extent that 10 minutes exposure to drag sets them off.

If yer one pops her clogs in the morning, she still has the honour of being remembered for her performance at the Olympics, which likely means as much to her as being the fastest man in the world means to Usain Bolt. Personally speaking, I’m acutely aware of the fact that I should be dead long ago, not because I’m morbidly obese, but from all the smoking, drinking, riding, eating, and copious amounts of drugs I consumed in my youth. Every day I wake up is a fcuking achievement as far as I’m concerned 😂

So you can see why I might wonder how people with such great, happy and healthy lives would take the time out of their incredible day to ensure that someone who isn’t doing them any harm whatsoever, must be informed that they think she deserves to be made feel like shìt?

I don’t expect you to have an answer to that, because if I can’t figure it out, I figure you’re sure as hell not going to be able to offer much in the way of an answer either. I don’t spend that much time thinking about it either, which is why the best answer I have so far is that they’re just despicable pricks.

there is nuance to everything so "death threats" are crossing a line , living your life in peace is fine, but promoting absurdity on line a la TikTok is going to earn a backlash , I only see it in the more absurd stuff you see on line , there is a grown up conversation to be had, but what I would call absurdity shouldnt create an opposite defense, not everyone has rational views

The backlash was because she appeared at the Olympics. Before then she was literally an unknown. Then the people who claimed to be offended went even further - it wasn’t sacrilegious enough that she appeared at the Olympics, she’s a body positivity activist too! Oh the horror! Like, seriously? What kind of a grown up conversation are you thinking could be had with that sort of idiot? Be better off in my experience just to ignore them and let them stew.

That’s why I say I was surprised by the French Olympic organising committee that they didn’t tell those claiming to be offended to fcuk right off. Not only did they not even do that much, they didn’t even bother to point out that ‘gay Paris’ was a thing long before the term had any homosexual connotations, because of the fact that Paris has historically been the capital of theatre, entertainment and culture in Europe:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/gay-paris-hotels-restaurants-bars-art-culture-shopping#:~:text=Ah%2C%20oui%2C%20gay%20Paris.,%E2%80%9D%20or%20%E2%80%9Cmerry%E2%80%9D).

Instead, they apologised to people who didn’t actually give a shìt whether they did or didn’t apologise, as offence was never the point, it was to humiliate people that they felt were an obstruction to their view of the world. The real obstruction is being unable to see further than the end of their own noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If anyone should be offended it should be the 'diverse' people it claimed to represent because the vibe of the lifestyle of the characters was akin to that you might find in the red light district of Berlin.

Shaming sex workers now?

This thread just keeps giving and giving....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

[test]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

1. I wasn't shaming sex workers.
    2. I wasn't shaming anyone.

I had in mind that gay men would not be happy being depicted as they were depicted in the sketch as though they do nothing but take class A drugs, dress up as women and writhe around in a drug induced delusion they look good whilst dancing very badly. That's all. What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Advertisement