Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That's the point though you are not going to see hysterical protests about it are you? Most are not really bothered by it. As the Christian religion is no longer taken seriously, barring a few exceptions. Where it is "God and Country".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The outrage is ridiculous. About 216,000 children are estimated to have been sexually abused by thousands of French Catholic priests, rising to 330,000 if abuse by lay members is included. But yeah, the poor f**king Christians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Last Supper painting stopped being purely religious iconography a long time ago. It's like complaining people don't take Christmas seriously as a Christian festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You can hardly blame them though, "Republique populaire democratique de Coree" doesn't sound like it'd be the totalitarian dictatorship out of the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wasn't.

In the modern world one religious group is demonstrably more violent than all the others, particularly when their religion is insulted. That group aren't fair game for being casually insulted because there are dire Fvcking consequences for doing so and we all bloody know it.

You've been comparing a few Christians being a little put out by yesterday's last supper drag o rama with the murders carried out by that other group when their noses were put out of joint by a drawing, which you've gone some way to justifying on this thread.

I don't require the use of emojis to show up how utterly ridiculous the central point of your argument is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I never get the idea of ugly art , ugly art, ugly artist I guess

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Maybe they'll invite K-pop group perform at the closing ceremony. That would be awesome.

Heres Exo at the Winter Games in 2018.

• Advertisement

And again I’m unsure as to which group you are referring to when you make the statement that in the modern world one group is demonstrably more violent than all others, particularly when their religion is insulted. I’m unable to ascertain what group you’re referring to when you use a single and very specific incident carried out by a handful of individuals in support of your argument, while at the same time in order to compare them, you would have to acknowledge the vast majority of mass shootings and demonstrations of violence are carried out by Christians who believe their religion is being insulted.

I don’t have to go back to World Wars or the Crusades or the original Christian persecution of Jews in order to make my argument. Yours hinges on a magazine which went out of its way to provoke a reaction from Muslims, while at the same time you argue that liberals won’t have a bad word said about Muslims. Evidently that’s just not the case.

It’s also not the case that Muslims give two fcuks about anyone making fun of Islam as people do every day and there aren’t the ‘dire consequences’ you’re alluding to, certainly not in the West anyway because Muslims in the West have fcukall political power which means that the French Liberals can give it welly about how proud they are of Laicité, while at the same time knowing that it has a greater impact on Muslims than Christians.

Btw I didn’t make the original comparison of a handful of Christians posturing to Muslims at all, you brought that up all on your own, and your complaint about Liberals declaring Islam off-limits. Given I know you’re not oblivious to the world around you, I have to assume you’re familiar with French culture and history and why your assertions appear more like they were sourced from American online grifters, than anyone familiar with French society. Being somewhat familiar with French society, this was my initial assessment of the Olympic ceremony:

Neither the reinterpretation of the Last Supper, nor the lack of French Liberals intention to provoke Muslims, warrants the in-depth analysis and discussion you’re aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭francois

The pearl clutching about this is hilarious. There have been numerous parodies of the painting (which is not some part of Christian doctrine), which haven't raised the faux outrage the opening ceremony has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Cutting their noses off to spite their own face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is a global presentation, with the aim of bringing people together through sport and celebrating sporting achievements.

Its not some popluar tv programme or some comic taking the piss out of it. The ioc should be impartial and religion should be off limits. They misjudged it, and the Games should be allowed move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was more offended by the fat woman at a sports event

°°°°°

That was quite a meandering incoherent defense of misogynistic, homophobic, murderous religious fanatics.

You claimed that last night's, last supper in drag was a theatrical performance, such performances are not tolerated by some religious faiths and that's the point.

Either all faiths are fair game for a lark or none should be particularly in a city where such an issue provoked a massacre, and yes it is relevant regardless of how much cope you post trying separate the two things.

It was in bad taste for that reason alone. I couldn't give a fup if anyone was upset because of their religious convictions last night, I just think there needs to to be a fair approach to such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,724 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The people complaining about the 'mocking' of the Christian faith, are literally complaining about Islam. No one cares about the show.

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SonicSuper

And rightfully so. The whole thing was sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Kind of wonder, what is point of this kind of post, or perhaps what the point of the whole thread is for that matter?

Would people feel better + all was right with the world if there were more angry Christians destroying stuff and maybe even murdering people over art that they disagree with or believe profanes their religion?

The fact that there's a serious problem with it in Islam + they have plenty of extremist goons on a hair trigger to pop up to do violence and even to kill + die themselves to avenge "slights" to the Prophet as they see it is a cancer of that religion and a menace to the world.

It's not something Muslims should be proud of, or Christians should ever want to emulate.

The bible-thumper Christian "taliban" types over in the US are not on the right track here, but that seems to be a subtext when comparing reactions and ability of artists to safely do things like adapt the Da Vinci "last supper" staging for a kind of drag performance & dance piece vs doing something similar with a piece of famous Islamic art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,724 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why are all these Christians not just forgiving the artists involved.

°°°°°

I'm simply saying all faiths should be fair game.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but Paris is a city with a tragic recent history of religious satire so maybe religious satire should have been off the menu for the Olympic opening ceremony.

That was quite a meandering incoherent defense of misogynistic, homophobic, murderous religious fanatics. 

And again, are you referring to Muslims or Christians, because I wasn’t defending either, I was pointing out that the very least you could do if you’re attempting to draw comparisons, is to be fair-minded in the comparisons you’re attempting to draw.

You claimed that last night's, last supper in drag was a theatrical performance, such performances are not tolerated by some religious faiths and that's the point.

Well then the point isn’t worth shìt, because the performance wasn’t about what is or isn’t tolerated by some, or any religious faiths.

Either all faiths are fair game for a lark or none should be particularly in a city where such an issue provoked a massacre, and yes it is relevant regardless of how much cope you post trying separate the two things. 

All faiths are not fair game though, like if you’re attempting to provide context for your argument, you could at least acknowledge that Muslims in French society are treated like shìt, whereas being persecuted for their religious affiliation isn’t something Christians generally have to think about. You could also acknowledge that of the 4 million Muslims in France, only a handful committed the mass killing you’re using as a representative example of Muslims attitudes to their religion being mocked. It’s no different than pointing out that of the number of Christians, only a handful will commit mass killings and engage in violent demonstrations when they believe their religion is being attacked or mocked.

It was in bad taste for that reason alone. I couldn't give a fup if anyone was upset because of their religious convictions last night, I just think there needs to to be a fair approach to such things.

You call for a fair approach, but you don’t want to get your own hands dirty. That doesn’t sound like you’re remotely interested in being fair to anyone tbh, it just sounds like you want other people to do your dirty work because you don’t want to be responsible for the consequences.

It’s not over till the fat lady sings, and bloody hell this was one of the most memorable performances 😁

°°°°°

The Charlie Hebdo attackers would be a reasonable point of reference.

That was one attack. No one has said all religions are not fair game. If you want to mock a religion, go right ahead.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Waffle.

The first of the Copenhagen shootings was targeted at an artist doing the same thing as Charlie Hebdo. It wasn't a one off.

Twelve people were murdered in what you described as "one attack" as if somebody was slapped across the face instead of twelve human beings having their lives ended in the name of a religion.

All terrorist attacks are "one attack". Try applying that logic elsewhere to see just how remarkable it is, 9/11 was just one attack, only 3000 people killed, no big deal.

Some Hill to choose to die on, defending Islamic terrorists, jumping the shark in some style.

Advertisement