Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Last Supper" depiction at Olympics Opening Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If you can't be civil I'm not going to engage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ll take that under advisement as I haven’t been uncivil at all in pointing out there’s simply no basis for the argument you’re trying to make in a discussion you want to have only on your terms while claiming that you don’t care either way, but everything should be fair game, which would be nice if all circumstances were equal as the starting point to treat all religions fairly.

You’re unwilling to acknowledge that all circumstances are not equal, in an attempt to argue that it was wrong to include a reinterpretation of the Last Supper in an event which was intended to be a celebration of French Art and Culture, because you think it was unfair to Christians.

There was nothing unfair to Christians about a drag show interpretation of the Last Supper, no reason for it to be excluded from the show. If you want to see Muslims treated like shìt, then it’s definitely you who’s missing the point of the show.

°°°°°

Where did I say I want to see Muslims treated like sh1t?

You're not an honest operater Jack, you've been incredibly hostile in every post you've made in response to me and now you're giving it the "who? Me?" response.

Have a pleasant evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm not offended, I'm not outraged just cringing myself inside out at the whole display.

That whole set piece was nothing but a collection of narassitic tw*ts trying to be soooo edgy and as always having the "look at me!!!!!!!!!" turned up to eleven. Yawn.

It's a now cultural norm in the west that this has to be celebrated because we've now realised just how amazing diversity is.

They didn't do something like this at the FIFA WC Qatar because LGBTQ+ is illegal there due to their fairytale being much much much more serious than our Christian fairytale.

When Ireland hosts the euros in 2028 it will be an utter travesty if drag queens and obese women aren't a central part of the opening ceremony. They're basically up there with the harp, riverdance and Daniel O Donnell when it comes to irishness.

• Advertisement

You’re definitely looking for things that aren’t there. I’ve neither been uncivil nor hostile to you in exploring your argument that all faiths are game for a lark or none. There’s no larking about in comparing a mass killing to a drag show, they’re not even in the same ballpark.

You’re obviously put out by the fact that other people aren’t interested in mocking Islam, and unwilling to accept that it has nothing to do with fear of violence, and everything to do with the fact that nobody is interested in doing your dirty work while you sit back and enjoy the show, pretending you have no skin in the game and expecting anyone else believes your nonsense.

°°°°°

What dirty work? I've no idea what you're on about Jack.

How do you not see this as hostility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was just people at a desk, not a depiction of the last supper 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,102 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How is Suvigirl 'defending Islamic Terrorists?'

That was an absolutely ridiculous leap.

This dirty work:

Either all faiths are fair game for a lark or none should be particularly in a city where such an issue provoked a massacre, and yes it is relevant regardless of how much cope you post trying separate the two things. 

It was in bad taste for that reason alone. I couldn't give a fup if anyone was upset because of their religious convictions last night, I just think there needs to to be a fair approach to such things.

You don’t think the approach of the organisers to last nights show was fair, and you want them to change their approach to what you determine is fair, which seems to involve making a mockery of Islam with the explicit aim of offending Muslims.

You’ve yet to explain why anyone should engage in that sort of shìt when you wouldn’t engage in it because you’re all about being civil and you don’t engage with people who are uncivil to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This thread is generating a stupid amount of reported posts so I'm only going to say this once

Back on topic*

*(the topic is NOT Islam, Judaism, bashing muslims, terrorism or immigration)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Only one religion is allowed to be mocked.

Catholicism.

It is rampant on this forum and nothing is said.

A poster recently wished a paintful death to the Pope on this forum and even after being objected to, the post stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There was nothing unfair to Christians about a drag show interpretation of the Last Supper, no reason for it to be excluded from the show.

There was absolutely zero reason for it to be included in the show. What had it to do with the Olympics or Paris or even sports or French culture in general? This is supposed to be a sporting competition, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

o1s1n, we have participated on boards games together for awhile now, so you can refer to me as a snowflake all you want, I am not bothered.

But g'wan and call all those teachers "precious" who are trying to teach kids good values, when that ^ shyte reverses all their hard work.

This ^ came on just before the Imagine sequence in the opening ceremonies, magnifying the contrast between pure selfishness and Olympic sportsmanship, full stop. Take from it what you will.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Agree, there was so much about the show that was not relevant to the Olympics! Seemed more about the artist directors personal "vision" than incorporating the events significance.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not Christian mockery at all but Ancient Greek Bacchanalia?

Now why would that be the case at the Greek originating Olympi- ohhh I see what happened here, a bunch of modern religious fruitcakes (whose religion centers around appropriation of pagan nonsense and the like) got their pearls knotted and the agenda behind why couldn’t be more obvious based on the overwhelming volume of whataboutery apparent from the first handful of posts in the thread onward, including the very clearly agenda-bent OP. So nothing to see here. Regular characters with their regular axes to grind.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/QAQsjWQgCdBnRxsw/?mibextid=CTbP7E

Dearest Gentle Reader,

I’m about to step on some toes in regard to the Opening Ceremony at the Paris Olympics.

The headless woman was Marie Antoinette. She ruled over France and was found guilty of treason, conspiracy, and stealing from the country.

Sound familiar?

Also, it was not the Last Supper. It was a depiction of an ancient Greek Bacchanal… because, you know, the Olympics are ancient and Greek. Surprise!

And if you didn’t know, a Bacchanalia is an uncontrollably promiscuous, extravagant, and loud party. The parties often spanned several days which honored the god of wine, Bacchus (the blue guy covered in grape vine). He is also known as Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility, later known as the god of wine and pleasure.

And finally, it was not Death on a pale horse. It was Sequana, Goddess of the Seine, the River in which the boat precession took place. She was meant to be the representation of the Olympic spirit and of Sequana.

If some of you weren’t so busy trying to end the Dept. of Education, you might know this.

Loosen the clutch on your pearls.

Yours truly,
    Lady Francis

••••••

“Paris is back on its feet, jubilant, flamboyant, creative and open. Free,” - Thomas Jolly, the artistic director.

I don’t mean to be rude in asking, but is this the first time you’ve watched an opening ceremony of the Olympic Games?

The whole point of the opening ceremony is that the host nation has an opportunity to showcase the best of its arts and culture. It’s why the ceremony opened with Lady Gaga (no stranger to interpreting and incorporating her religion into her music, ‘Judas’ really is a work of art though!), giving it socks with her rendition of a French classic:

And as for the manufactured controversy over what was only a small part of a much larger show that was everything French, that too was no different than every other nation which has hosted the modern Olympic Games, except for Tokyo, that was pretty shyte 😒

But there was the performance in Barcelona of ‘Barcelona’ earlier in the thread, and other posters gave examples of their favourite performances, like the London Olympics opening ceremony which included the actual Queen, and James Bond, and the blink and you’ll miss it famous lesbian kiss that aired on Brookside:

https://afterellen.com/the-london-olympics-opening-ceremony-includes-a-lesbian-kiss-seen-around-the-world/

Of course if you have actually never seen the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games, you could be forgiven for thinking it’s just a sports competition, and not the enormous, global, social, cultural, political and economic event that it actually is in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Never defended any terrorists, of any religion, never would.

The waffle is surely folks trying to find something to be offended about in what was merely a show! An opening show, a performance. That's it.

I thought it was good entertainment, perhaps a are bit long, but entertaining nevertheless. And while some seemed to think there was a depiction of a religious painting and then used it to get digs at a different religion entirely, most people didn't even notice and just enjoyed the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The artist said the piece was about diversity and inclusion, with no particular goal, and reflected French culture.

I mean if Christian's are upset and wanted a more realistic depiction of the last supper, the artist should have used all black or brown people.

Ask a Christian to name another iconic piece of art of any other religion and they can't name one because they're intolerant and insufferable bigots who take meaning from the bible selectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭jackboy

All Christians are bigots now? That is a bit over the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

This post displays intolerance, bigotry & paints you as a somewhat insufferable individual.

Do you do irony faceman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah I'm pretty intolerant of an institution that systematically covered up and accommodated child sex abuse and the oppression of women. Something that still goes on today.

But ya know, if you're more offended by an artistic depiction of the Last Supper then maybe you should get your values checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Hee hee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Especially since they're going to heaven anyway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That didn't happen.

Why should anyone respect a religion that raped children on a global scale and lectures people about poverty while sitting on mountains of wealth, some of which was from the slave trade?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sunjava

DEI people should be sent off to an uninhabited island...to most people they were just responsible for the junk mail we received...now they appear to be running the show, puppet masters, their fingerprints everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Self loathing liberals…..so progressive so brave

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Lol, I can taste the salty tears from here. Nothing to say on how the Christian snowflakes got this all wrong because they didn't get the reference and just assumed it was an attack on their faith.

An absolute nothing burger.

Advertisement