Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Car TV System, UK/ROI/France

• 27-07-2024 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Hi, friend of a friend has a BMW imported from Japan.

The Car has a TV tuner, which doesn't work in ireland, they asked me, if they get the system flashed to UK/Ireland specs, will it also work if travelling on the continent, ie france etc. i dont know, said i would try and find out.

So basically my question is.. Is the French / German / Dutch , terrestrial TV the same standard as UK /ROI ? is it all the same DVB T / T2

Post edited by mikeecho on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Japan uses a completely different TV standard to Europe.

I would've thought this would be hardware based and not software upgradeable?

As regards Europe, all countries basically use the same broadcast standard DVB-T/T2. They will be differences with EPG etc. but basically the picture should still be viewable and audio ok.

Regarding Holland/Belgium, do they still have terrestrial TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

The German DTT network is DVB-T2 with HEVC (h.265) video encoding - if you have a receiver with that benchmark then it'll do everything else in Europe too. AFAIK all European DTT EPGs are based on the DVB-EPG standard so it should be okay too.

Terrestrial TV still exists in the Netherlands, but is mostly a pay-TV platform (Digitenne) with only some of the NPO & local PSB stations available free-to-air. Similar in the Flanders part of Belgium 'xcept there's no FTA broadcasting though a RTBF FTA multiplex still exists in Wallonia for the French-speaking community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭PixelCrafter

Japan uses ISDB for digital TV. It's a Japanese system used in a few countries, but totally incompatible with DVB standards.

It's very unlikely that it's flashable or modifiable by software.

It's used in 20 countries, but none are anywhere near here.

https://www.dibeg.org/world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Indeed. And the ISDB-T used in Japan is different from the other 19 countries. Brazil looked at the Japanese system and improved it then that was adopted in the 19.

Advertisement