Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think he was trying to be a hard-hitting journalist, when really he should've just moved on to another topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kellie’s issue was that she came across very poorly in trying to articulate and explain and defend her position. They had a right to “go there.”

Kellie trying to flat out shut it down and her failure to explain in an articulate fashion was where people picked up on.

If you are in the public eye and make claims, posting, tweets or whatever, you have to expect to be possibly challenged on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not a big boxing fan at all, and last watched professional boxing regularly back in the days of Sugar Ray Leonard et al, but gotta ask.

Was the bout last night typical of Olympic boxing? It was a pretty drab affair. OK, perhaps 3 rounds is too short to produce classics, but for the 2 best women boxers I was expecting big things. Or maybe I simply don't appreciate the tactics involved in amateur boxing and trying to win a gold medal in 9min?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nonsense, Olympic gold is the far and above the highest achievement.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It is the most prestigious, but a world championship gold is every bit as tough, if not tougher to win. The entries in it are less diluted. Yes, qualification is less intrusive at worlds. But when you get there the challenge is very tough. Katie won 5 consecutive golds at WC level, and in 2016 she was hard-done by in my view.

• Advertisement

The reason it's the most prestigious is because of the fact that it's harder to win one.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly. Amateur boxing is a different kettle of fish in terms of speed and movement. The previous points based system made the difference even larger., but ya it's a tatical affair.

It can be a poor spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't know Kellie's views are on immigration. All she did was retweet a single post from GB News - perhaps thinking it was regular TV news channel like Sky News and not realising it is a right wing one aimed at racists (among others).

Personally, I think she was treated rather unfairly. It seemed more of an unfortunate error of judgement than anything else.

That’s up for debate. We have less medals at WCs than at the games, albeit WCs only 40 years old. At worlds you’re pretty certain to have a last 32 competition, and some were last 64. Less chance of boycotts as well

Last night was probably one of the better fights.

They're very tactical cagey affairs as if you lose the first round, it can be very hard to win. Often the 3rd round is better as one fighter has to go for it.

Also the judges aren't great but last night they were decent.

• Advertisement

He was correct to challenge her on it but he didn't need to persist with it.

Even the publicist said to move on a few times but he kept persisting.

"Antia turns 62 later this month, and Egan pointed out that while he still expects Antia to lead the Irish coaching team for several more years, it would be wise for the IABA to start planning now."

Article today.

Hopefully he stays on for 10 more years.

I think his family is based here now so hopefully he's in no rush to move home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you are being a bit melodramatic over this tbf. She said women's boxing would have progressed further had he not been around. She was hardly accusing him of being worse than Hitler. If anything, his own response (saying she was only the third ranked boxer at lightweight in Ireland) was more than a bit bitchy.

An analogy might be if a soccer player had come out after Jack Charlton had gone and said that the Irish team would have done better without him.

She is perfectly entitled to her views based on her experience. One could point out that her first major medal was in 2016 when she won a silver at the Worlds. Was PT not gone from the setup by then? She had been around for a good while before then too so it's not as if she was suddenly coming through as a 21 year old.

It’s not melodramatic. They were quite serious allegations she made about his character and reputation. He took them quite seriously, as anyone would who values their good name. They were cheap shots aimed at him.

He called it lies. Pretty much called her a liar. That’s serious. As far as I know she did not respond to being called a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Direct questions about his reputation were not made in the book according to any article I read on what she said (I never read the book).

Questions may have come from other sources and maybe you might have the personal opinion that she was trying to imply something along those lines via her criticisms, but I don't think those things were implied (whatever they may have been).

I think it would be perfectly fine of any sportsperson to have the opinion that coach X or administrator Y held them back or held the sport back. Even if it is their own bias. It's hardly to be unexpected and I wouldn't read too much into it. You'd probably get some senior hurler from Kilkenny who never got off the bench who thinks Brian Cody held Kilkenny back during the golden period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I’m not sure, I would say Ferreira is better than anyone Katie faced.

Also Kellie was clearly not as good back then as she is now. As well as being younger than KT she was fairly late to the game compared to her.

Potkinen, Sofya, Underwood and Jonas are all better than Beatrice. I don’t think Katie would have had too much trouble beating Beatrice. Far too quick with hands and feet.

I’m going to agree to disagree with you here. I think Ferreira with her pedigree power and professional experience would have given Katie all kinds of trouble back in 2012.

Her feet and hands far too slow. Katie was very very sharp in 2012.

Beatrice plods forward and is somewhat punch-predictable. Power? Not near heavy handed enough (shoudl she land) to stop Katie, who takes a very good shot.

His character and reputation have been questioned a lot by a lot of different people.

Someone for whatever reason at one stage paid a hitman to murder him and he almost succeeded but instead murdered an innocent man. He was training professional boxers linked to Daniel Kinahan in Bray Boxing Club which is not owned by him and then another time he somehow ended up in a wheelchair with two broken legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And fell out with his own daughter, Katie. People at the time assumed it must have been because of personal family issues (well documented in the media) but there may have been other more pressing reasons she wanted nothing more to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not sure how you can say that with such confidence tbf. Beatriz Ferreira has a couple of wins over Potkinen including the semi final in Tokyo for example.

The field these days has way more depth. There are far less gimme fights in women's boxing compared to ten years ago. The top end may not be as elite with so many of the elite turning pro but it really isn't straightforward trying to compare.

One thing for sure is that Harrington beat three very good boxers in Paris and really earned that gold medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Yeah I think that's a good way to put it. Hannon was simply doing his job as a journalist asking the difficult questions (which many journalists fail to do these days unfortunately) but he probably should've known when to stop pushing. Harrington's dodging of the question said a lot in itself but she was rightly called out for her opinions.

Yes, I know Beatrice beat Potkinen, but Potkinen was at her best 3-4 years previously. She also beat Kellie in 2018, as well as Katie in 2016. I thought Taylor beat her in Rio. But Taylor has at least 2 wins over her pre Rio.

Kellie beat very good opposition here. No doubt. I just don’t consider any as good as what Katie beat in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

Cracker on now between Cuban and French at 64kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭secman

Cracking fight that.

Cuban took it. Very tight, but I thought the right man got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭newhouse87

SOme last round

• Advertisement

Khyzniak up now.

Love watching him. Completely hyper, non-stop machine.

I expect a tough fight though.

Advertisement