Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

Any chance we can go back on topic please?

Just saw what I think is the boxer of the tournament there - Kholakov from Uzbekistan in 57kg. Beautiful boxer.

There's a Cuban representing Bulgaria in the other semi and he's good, but I think Kholakov wins out and is a very serious contender for the Val Barker trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did UZB flyweight win gold?

Up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Wayne stopped Gatti in the Amateurs.

He was a long way from a puncher though, very feather fisted but a great engine and tough as hell.

He was almost two years older. Think Wayne 17/18 for that, and Gatti barely 16. Big difference at those ages

• Advertisement

not watching. Recorded it. Let us know how he goes..

Yeah I know, it was stopped because he was getting overwhelmed, not hurt.

In the modern era I can only think of one Irish boxer with real one punch knockout power. Andy Lee.

Dusmatov. Tough fight.

Really a light-fly up against a 5'10" flyweight!!

He adapted his tactics brilliantly though.

Cheers. Will give that a watch later… he’s all action

James Tennyson was/is a terrific puncher.

Just because he has other deficiencies doesn't mean you can discount his punching ability.

• Advertisement

Tennyson was a natural spiteful puncher. Just had heavy natural hands

Yes good shout. I Forgot about Tennyson although he never reached the level of some of the other fighters who have been mentioned.

But that was my whole point.

He wasn't a world class boxer, but he was a world class puncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

does Kellie winning gold gloss over what was a disappointing olympics for our boxers..a lot lost their first fight..

Yes. It glosses over it. No boxer was at all close to a “sure thing” to win any bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Watching the boxing, the biggest non performance in a final from Alfonso. Never even gave it a go. Uzbek didn't have to be anything special to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Was bizzare alright! Uzbek's up to three gold medals and fight for two more tomorrow. Unreal going.

Khelif now.. The 92 final, as mentioned was too eazy

SHW UZB a hot favorite tomorrow

Khelif home n dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭newhouse87

2nd round harsh on china

• Advertisement

Very harsh thought she won round 2. Very strange 5 0 the other way

7 male weights and UZB likely to win 5. That’s like 8/12 in the old system!!!

Delighted for the Algerian WW Gold medalist after all the vitriol and nastiness towards her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see in the papers today Kellie is destined to be on the road to financial security for the rest of her life after her double Olympic Gold victories. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people willing to help and advise her after her incredible achievements.

Delighted for her, hope she takes a well deserved holiday after the celebrations Monday evening. It's going to be a massive homecoming.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

And good for her, well deserved.

Fvckin papers though, know the price of everything and the value of nothing.... By and large they shat on her a couple of years ago when she took a wee misstep. Hope she makes them pay through the ar5e for any interviews she does with them.

As an aside, a little thank you from me anyway to the participants who represented us. Obviously, overall the boxing didn't go as planned but by and large these guys and girls are quasi-amateur still and from our communities, and represent the beat of us.

For those continuing, better luck (and fairer judging) in future, for those stepping away best of luck in your future careers.

Even before this double gold Kellie would have been making a few bob with deals, appearances, sponsorship etc; this gold now she should be entitled to put her feet up and really relax.

Post edited by walshb on

I would worry about the future of boxing in this country and in fact globally. If it's out of the Olympics it will surely kill the amateur game, plus it won't see the same investment from the government if it's not an Olympic sport. What's the future of boxing if it's not an Olympic sport?

I agree.

However, there are signs of hope. World Boxing is an alternative amateur boxing organisation set up by a number of countries fed up of the Eastern Bloc corruption. Slowly but surely, more and more established countries are joining up. The general thinking is that the IOC won't deal with the IBA, but are a lot more receptive to World Boxing. If enough countries join up, there will be a snowball effect with regard to fear of missing out on Olympic competition.

That's the theory anyway.

Surely the IOC should just say we will only deal with World Boxing. Then all the hold outs can either join up or not be eligible to compete at the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Probably in practice - yes. But then again other sports are supported by the government that might never win medals or are only played here.

High Performance in Boxing gets about 5% of the annual funding that greyhounds get from the government. I'm not sure greyhound racing would have the same positive social impact to the country either than a network of reasonably funded boxing clubs.

Advertisement