Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. I know nothing about this Polish opponent tonight, but expecting Aoife to win. Haven’t heard the Pole to be a real threat; but going by our recent results, you have to go earn the wins. Nothing easy whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently, they have met five times before and O'Rourke has won all five. I like watching Aoife….very stylish and light on her feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They've actually fought 6 times with Aoife winning all 6 encounters, 5 by unanimous decision.

But as Kellie Harrington Irelands greatest female Olympian boxer said today "there are no easy fights at the Olympics", everyone there has earned the right to represent their country and is world class.

Best of luck to Aoife, she's already beaten this girl for the European middleweight title and should be well able.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Aoife not on RTE. They’re staying with swimming

• Advertisement

On Rte player. Aoife won rd 1

fook me.. beaten

Awful scrappy fight…

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭murtyd17

Very disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭newhouse87

O Rourke definitely landed cleaner shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

And it was the Pole who made it that way, she was very lucky not to be thrown out.

The referee cautioned her relentlessly after issuing the first warning (which he cautioned her plenty before giving). Ultimately his refusal to give a second warning was the difference.

Personally I thought Aoife did the better work in every round anyway. The Pole showboated a lot and gestured (usually after she took a shot herself), it seems to have convinced the judges aswell.

Scandalous referring and judging imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I thought it was a fair enough result. O’Rourke allowed herself get bullied a bit. The pole was very dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Absolutely robbed, Pole should have been DQ. Boxing the most corrupt sport at the Olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

One boxer in the ring, and one mauler.

Aoife was getting through consistently, and even when the Pole was holding on she was working on the inside relentlessly.

Would say a shocking result, but nothing would shock me when it comes to Olympic boxing judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭munster87

Deducted a point for holding…how many times did he say stop holding after that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

That's a medal I really thought we'd get gone. Hurts that it was a robbery as well. I love my boxing but it doesn't deserve to be in the Olympics with all the nonsense.

I'd agree to some extent but given that she didn't get another deduction I can see an argument that the pole did more. I notice that two judges had o'rourke winning, two had the pole and the 3rd judge had it 28-28 (2 rounds to the pole but 1 point deduction to tie it. Why was the decision then given to the Pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

I'm guessing it's because the Pole won 2 of the 3 rounds accordingly to that judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Yeah. That judge has to pick a winner and they went with the one they had winning two rounds.

Also thought that was a very unfair result! The Pole was holding, pushing, pulling, sticking her head in. O’Rourke was throwing and landing more punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very disappointing. I watched it on Eurosport and the commentators seemed to think O Rourke had done enough to win, but when the result was announced they suggested the Polish girls brawling style might have swayed the judges.

Why did RTE show the swimming instead of this bout?

The pole was landing plenty of punches too though and she was the aggressor. I knew they would give the pole the 3rd; she landed several clean blows at the start f the round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bartkingcole

that was another wrestling match. Why are the judges allowing it. A few disqualifications would benefit the tournament.

Seems the judges are favouring ugly brawlers in these bouts. The Pole was given multiple telling offs for holding and slapping by the ref (as well as one public warning) and they still went with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭gigantic09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"Very unusual" haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not really, IMHO anyway. Lots of slaps thrown, clean punches few and far between, and no work on the inside.

It's not boxing in my view. Proper boxing skills not being rewarded like clean punching, footwork, evasion, feigning, etc. Styles make fights, and different styles are generally legitimate, we shouldn't really be snobbish about it, but at the same time there still has to be some reward for the skillful boxer over the slobbery rooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Feel sorry for Aoife after the interview, seems like a classy person and she was clearly devastated and took all the blame and responsibility herself for the loss.

The judges saw the Pole was a horrible / ugly brawler with not much of a skill set, received numerous telling offs from the ref during the three rounds for not boxing and somehow still declared her the 'winner'.

watching now rte. Cahill and Donovan useless. They didn’t even spot the point deduction rd 1, and then were clueless reading out the scores

• Advertisement

guys, both were pretty scrappy. Not just the Pole

Advertisement