Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar - Abbey St - CLOSED

• 27-07-2024 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭

I was up in Dublin a few days ago and as is my habit I made a beeline for the O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar on Abbey st - across from the LUAS stop.

To my utter regret, the shop was closed up and it looks like refurbishment efforts were underway for a new store.

I have to say I am really sad to see it gone…it was a little oasis of peace, calm and sanity in the city centre.

I often popped in after a browse in Veritas bookstore - another unsung gem of the city.

I would get the soup of the day and toastie offer - great value and the bread was always so fresh tasting - they would even give a few “sneaky” crisps on the side of the plate !

I remember about the year 2000 O’Brien’s were seen as “the height of sophistication” with their fresh offerings.

Great coffee too.

Maybe the brand is just not “exciting” enough for 2024 ireland?

Not sure why it closed, it was always busy any time I went there. It seemed to do good trade.

Wide range of customers from 8-80 from what I could see.

Does anyone have memories of the cafe or even know why it closed up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

Could be a victim of remote working,footfall dropped off in the city.

Was in it many times, loved the chicken mayo and stuffing sandwich.

Think O Brien's got very expensive in recent years (I know everywhere raised prices, but O Brien's weren't cheap to start with).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Low quality, high prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There is one in the Jervis centre and 5 or 6 in the city centre alone.

Plenty of better quality cafes in that area as well.

Mind The Step is good, just a minute walk away. chilled atmosphere as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not familiar with “mind the step” but if it is general area will give it a go next time.

Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement