Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rough cost of respraying whole car

• 27-07-2024 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29 the_pope2

I recently got a Honda Civic and overall the paint job is fine but did have a few rust dots a stone chip marks. I sanded down the rust spots and covered it with touch up paint. From a distance looks fine but close up it looks uneven.

I did think at some point taking it to someone who does body repair to fix up the parts that don't look right but then I think might be better to respray the whole car as the uneven parts are in different sections of the car body.

Just wondered if anyone knew how much it'll cost to respray the whole car to make it look new?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Prices would start at around €2,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Is the car even worth doing a respray on? There are lots of different ways to respray a car. To do a proper job it needs windows out and lots of time on prep work in order for paint to last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Well that's it

Hardly worth the bother most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 29 the_pope2

it's an FD2 so I'd like a proper job done……do you know if they just sand down the parts that need to be worked on and then resprayed it would it blend in with the rest of the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Get a wrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 the_pope2

i did a brief google search on that and can cost more than respraying the car….but i guess one of the benefits of car wrap is that it can protect the car paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It can be touched up correctly, and then cut and polished to blend,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

2500 for a repaint seems low tbh, and they certainly will not remove the windows for that.

A wrap? I personally would not as it will lower the worth of the car.

Touched up, then cut and polished....excellent if it's just a few, but not the whole car, and if the panels are full of stone chips, a repaint is the only viable option.

Cost will vary greatly, the last shop I worked in wanted 6000 for a paint job, and that was the starting price. Want windows out? Add an extra 1000. There's always the bloke that works from home that will do it for around 1500, and will probably do a decent job. Shops vary in price and the overall finish.

There's no definitive answer for you, either get the best quote available after seeing their work, or live with it......or do it yourself if you have a large enough garage, but you need to know what you're doing to get anywhere near decent.

If a regular body shop charged me 7k to repaint a car with the windows out I would say to them I want it to be so absolutely flawless I can't spot 1 imperfection or else I'm starting deductions.

Which it would not be and I would find so many imperfections in looking at the car for 1 minute that the price would be slashed

Thats an absolute nonsense price unless it was literally flawless which there is probably 3 body shops in the country would do and it would cost multiples of 6k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

6k is not as rare as you think.

The days of cheap repaints are closing. Painters and panel beaters are demanding salaries of 40k+ per annum. Paint and lacquer are extortionate prices, materials are costly, premises are high rents….plus insurance, electricity costs have tripled, plus fuel for ovens. If you're a lone trader working from home then costs are certainly lower, but not a bona-fida workshop with a licence and all the requirements set out by law.

Even traders are paying higher costs, for example a trader just this year paid 1100 for a bonnet and blend into wings on a golf, and that trader continues to send work.

It's no wonder body shops are only in business for short periods, they try to undercut each other to the point where no profit is made. What company out there works for no profit?

As far as quality is concerned, a 6k repaint will be of excellent quality and you will not find countless faults. If you want a first class pristine restoration job…50k is the cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement