Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change

• 27-07-2024 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Im mid 40s and ive been working in construction most my adult life but now looking for something new. I'm very good at what I do and when the weather's good it pays very well however im now at the stage it's taking it's tool on my body and mental state and now wanting to try something new.

Something like software engineer or similar where I can work remotely sounds very appealing to me after all those years on site or outside working privately.

Anyone any advice on where I need to contact to get the ball rolling on starting a course, preferably night classes, part time classes or even online. Ideally it would be great to do part time and any day I'm off with bad weather, I could go to the course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Have a look at Springboard website lots of courses available with funding, good number are remote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just be aware, remote working isn't as common as it was a few years ago.

The hybrid model of 3 days in the office and 2 days at home seems fairly normal now for office type jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I was in same boat as yourself and a few years older to boot but with no interest in going back to school.I applied on puplicjobs.ie and got tco post within 3 months ,now settled into job in dsp ,plenty of opportunities if you want promotion. Wages will be shock to system but flexi time and handy hours will leave time for nixers

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭taratee

Just noticed you mentioned that your work is having an impact on your mental state. If that is the case software engineering may not be for you. People seem to have this idea that it is a dream job. Software engineering can be very hard work. You bounce from one tight deadline to the next. Work-life balance can be very poor at times. I'm guessing that your day finishes when you head home from the site? That will not be the case if you work as a software engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HurlingBoy

Not sure if remote working is good for a person's mental health. You can become quite isolated and lose out on social connections. It was fine during covid where is was necessity and everyone was doing it. In any case the more we move away from the covid year the less and less remote working there is. Most companies have employees back on offices at least 3 days a week. If you want remote working I would be careful that it is stated in your contract as otherwise you can be lured by the promise of remote\hybrid working and then the company can change their policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

Second that, remote working full time is lonely as fcuk and isolating, not great for your mental health. What about health & safety coming from construction side of things?

Advertisement