Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help from irish, a french guy...

Options
  • 28-07-2024 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there, im french my name is Roman i have 30 and living in a village "Maule" in France.

Thursday 18 July 12h30, one of your fellow citizens scammed me, he was in an English car with his 2 children, I had just come out of rehabilitation with my physiotherapist when he came upon me in our small village, he asked me for €400 because he saying that all his things in Paris had been stolen from him and he needed to get home, gas and ferry...I told him that I couldn't take the risk on such a large sum, I'm in a difficult situation... But he forced my hand by taking out his phone using app bank of ireland and made a transfer in my name which I gave to him, I thought it was sincere but I still refused and he got angry saying that the money had gone into my account and that I owed him €400, he swore on God, there were his children, I was fragile and I am a guy full of help and compassion, in short I gave him 400€ cash... I don't know what's credible about his story, what's certain is that I was robbed of €400 by this Irish guy and I feel **** and guilty for wanting to help people so much.

But i took the phone number of this man and his ID car which are :

08 51 91 94 22 (00 353 85 191 9422)

CX57KTM (maybe car rental)

I phoned to him but he blocked me If you guys can help me to find the identity of this irish man or just talk to encourage him to send me some back, i will appreciate…thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Your best chance is UK police with the car registration.

That is not an Irish car and it is not northern Ireland.

The phone could be a temporary phone but you could also call bank of Ireland to maybe see can they help.

However, proving any of this is going to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He could not have done a bank transfer with just your name. Who is the scammer round here? Fortunately you are in the wrong forum so very few people will see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

How did he convince you he transferred €400 to your account? Why didn’t you direct him to an ATM?

Maybe put up your go fund me page and we’ll each give you €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It's a scam alright. The bank page is a clone and it looks as if the money has been transferred. I have heard about this scam on BBC radio. Agree the best course of action is contact the British police, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting the money back.

It is a warning to everyone not to be generous to strangers. Awful advice but no good deed goes unpunished nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why not go to the French police first? Given that the scammer might still be there, and might have also scammed others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

hmm…he asked you for €400, and to convince you to give it to him, he deposits €400 into your bank account? yeh, that makes total sense…

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roman78

Yes i will but he is in UK now....

Yes he convince me vecause he needed cash he had no money no card only his phone...

I gave him my name + iban but yes it looks like a fake app of bank of ireland

Thanks all im sad more about the scam than the money, i think the best thing is to accept and forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Did you report the scam to the police?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What colour was the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Tow

The car registration comes back as unknown on the UK Government sites to check car Tax/MOT.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CX would be Wales where the car was originally registered, 57 would be a late 2007/early 2008 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roman78

Car grey wolkswagen looks like a transporter Touran from 2008 with 7 places

• Registered Users Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You need to report this to the French police at the very least. They may be able to pull any CCTV footage in the area to get a picture of the man

I don't think you're going to get your money back unfortunately. It's a tough life lesson but there it is

It's likely the registration was faked, or a clone plate. They're relatively easy to get, so the car registration might lead nowhere

The phone number might be a better lead, although the guy could just as easily use a burner phone

I would guess the thief is driving around scamming multiple people, probably taking advantage of the number of tourists in France for the Olympics.

There's a possibility they were picked up by the police and by reporting your experience you could aid the case against them and hopefully recover some of your money

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The number hasn't been checked by anyone else on Tellows yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Report it and explain how you were pressurized and intimidated into giving the money against your will

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement