Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Motor Stopped?

• 28-07-2024 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

*** Scrub this, lads. It blew up! ***

Leaving this, just in case there's anything to be learned from it? ….. Lawn mower. Bought in May. Maybe fourth time out the shed? I've checked, plug to on / off control. Power's flowing. Fuses good.

Overheated? It was, last time out. I'd go searching for the cause, only to find it cooled and working again ~ till it didn't. This time? Five minutes from a new start :(

Great clue? If I leave it alone and go back? Hit Start and it 'coughs'. (Whoops! Sorry. Just tried again: It Buzzes. Just briefly. Like a buzzer. But, no; 'coughing' suggests the motor responds. I don't think it does) Power's Certainly getting through. Just not making that connection. Indicating anything, to anyone here, please?

And then …..

Post edited by Stigura on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Sharp blades

Clear air vents

Check mower for anything caught up underneath

Shouldn't be overheating assuming there's no issues with power to mower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

@drury.. Naah. Just been out there, gave it the once over. Just as a courtesy to ye reply there. Dead.

I'd been doing my best to monitor it, as I worked. Kept my eye on the grass box. Lifted the blades, to let them self clear, if they sounded in any way irregular. Made sure she wasn't choking, like a donkey, on the cuttings she was passing To the box.

Nope. Nothing to indicate I'd soon be smelling that smoke.

Anyway; Well under warranty! I just have to decide if I want cash, or another of This mower, again. That's all been agreed.

Cash won't keep my grass down though. Nor, possibly, will even a 1600 Watt corded mower 🙁 Really not sure what to do next, in honesty. Can't ignore the grass to death! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what brand?

never used them, but come across as a decent brand, thats strange

• Advertisement

@Wanderer78 Thanks. Exactly though; They're ~ I'd gathered ~ a perfectly good bit of DIY level kit. In fact, for its first few outings? I was well pleased.

Last time, doing my chicken pen? That was recently. Tidying a swathe, footprint of two, not big, motors. That's when it simply kept cutting out. I soon figured it just wanted to cool down. Was a warm day too. I just thought we might have found her limitations.

That's why I was taking it easy, today. I even Felt the grass, to be sure it wasn't a hidden marsh. Thing simply started belching smoke and smell. Ten minutes of blade turning time. Not even ten square feet of grass cut.

Bloody shopping, Again! 😬

have a bosch for years now, tis on its last legs though but would definitely buy again

My Last one was a Bosch! 'Lasted five minutes'? Not even that. Never got started, really. Design fault, basically. Ye know the cutting heights? Thing simply couldn't stay engaged. I engaged, Engaged with Bosch at some length. They, basically, agreed things were a bit carp, and to throw it back at them.

But, there it is, see? Not knocking Any makers name. Had a Bosch drill, once. Five minutes! Bosch Planer? Twenty five years, to date. Pretty sure the thing'll see me well out!

Right now? Trying to find time to read reams and endless reams of bloody 'Reviews', by people paid to 'Like' stuff! :meloni:

I need as much guts as a corded, rotary machine can provide. I need a grass box. (Hateful necessity)

What I'd Like, of course, is one of those petrol driven, steel lumps from the Honda of yesteryear! God, yeah! Just for bragging rights! 😁 Only, Petrol, see? I have a long and distinguished career behind me. I can Destroy a petrol tool, quicker than ye can say " Old fuel! "

Trouble is? 'Industrial Grade' and 'Corded Lawn Mower'? Doesn't really exactly roll round the mouth, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

There is a certain class of folk who would destroy even a German Panther in an afternoon…..you may be one😊 Stick to the day job and get someone in to do your landscaping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Get a Sthil Lawnmower. They are expensive but class for a Lawnmower.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

@monseiur I think ye right! 😂 And I Have thought whether it'd be cheaper to hire some bugger! I've wrecked Two, brand new, mowers here. One after the other.

Did I mention, I bought another one, after the Polish engine blew. Got the German, 'Anti Blow Mechanism' one. That ones engine looks good. Blade's made of old coke tins. Wrapped itself round itself on the first try 😐️ Absolute truth.

I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do next, now. Walking around in a sort of dream state. Disbelief.

@AMKC Yeah. Always admired those Honda ones, myself. Probably because they're simply the ones I've seen). Absolute tanks, those sorts. I'd have one, just for the bragging rights. Petrol though, see? That's why I look for corded, these days. I ~ absolutely guaranteed ~ kill petrol things with monotones regularity. I'm useless 😔

Ms

Ms

Hyundai are another option. No idea what they are like but must say there 22inch 56cm petrol lawnmower looks the part.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Husquverna are great mowers. Expensive but supposed to be l really good. The Dad has a petrol one and it is well able to mow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

@AMKC Whoah, yeah! I never even knew Stihl did electrics.

Nice looking machine. Sounds to have some guts in it. If the Blade could be as good as my German one, along with that big engine? Could be a goer.

Sadly though? I'm thinking the bottom line is just that this ground's ~ in large part ~ simply unsuited to lawn mowers. At least, as is. Just too many 'iceberg' rocks. And, I'm sure, pushing up plenty of stones.

Maybe, best I can do is 'strim' the grass, as best I can. Rake off, to remove all that and stones. Mark the bergs. Then consider mowing That. Plan? Sure. Only; Where the hell do I get that Powerful, Electric 'Strimmer'? One I won't blow up 😕

Ms

P

You will not blow up a strimmer. Unlike a lawnmower a Strimmer will not be under as much pressure as its just cutting grass and not trying to put it into a box too and you have more control over the rotation speed of a strimmers blade too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

" You will not blow up a strimmer. "

😂 If only I'd taken photo's of that Flymo / Husky one I utterly destroyed here! True though. That wasn't the motor. That was the useless piece of carp disembowelling itself, every three to four foot of 'ordinary' grass 😬

That was before I wrapped it round a wall!

Advertisement