Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewing Driver’s Licence (Is it really that complicated?)

• 28-07-2024 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to renew my drivers licence next month… and I’ve just been informed that in order to renew a driver’s licence you need to do the following.

1. Register/ Order a Public Service Card (I have zero use for one, other than this)

2. Register / get a MyGovID account, and you can only do this if you have a Public Service Card

3. Apply to renew online with the other necessary document

Why does it have to be this complicated… so Irish…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have a MyGov account and renewed online. I received new licence a few days later.

Not complicated at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Maybe you need to read better.

To renew ONLINE, you need above.

To renew in person you simply need your current licence and proof of address.

All details are in the EXACT same page as you copied the above from.

Both ways are dreadfully simple.

Maybe they will require an eyesight report for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Quit with the "so Irish".

You should see the bureaucracy in some other countries.

Renewing as licence is easy peasy and the staff in the offices are friendly and helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I renewed mine in person, made an appointment, took 5 minutes, really simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yes, online renewal is a pain if you dont have that social services card. You also need to get a form filled in the Garda station, and include that with your online renewal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You only need proof of address if your address has changed though?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I also don't have a PSC, so did it in person. It was simple. Looks simple if you do have a PSC too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

If doing renewal online, make sure you double check all details are correct. Last year's renewal was 3 months, 2nd trip to Doctor to get form signed and 8 1/2 hours on the phone-mostly listening to music.

Went to apply online, uploaded docs etc and everything seems to be accepted. 20 minutes later I realised that they had my old eircom.net email. Went in, changed it online and rang. I was told not to worry the new email was registered. Keep checking over next two weeks, being processed etc etc. Finally after about 4 weeks I ring. Cut off twice while on hold.

Finally get through, told they emailed me 4 times and the application was cancelled and would have to reapply and WAIT, pay a new fee! I asked if you did not get a response from email that there is this modern invention called the telephone and you request the phone number on the contact details page. Also, would it not show that 4 emails showing returned that someone might ring me?

So, bite my tongue but will admit I did utter f**k. So reapply-making sure 2nd page is uploaded and pay another fee. Site shows accepted and processing. 3 weeks later I ring, it takes numerous times on hold to get through. Tell me story, put on hold-ADVICE here, when they put you on hold you will be automatically disconnected after about 10-15 minutes !!!!! I asked if I get disconnected could you ring me back? GET THIS- the Call Centre cannot phone out!!!!!!!!!! Takes four phone calls to finally get through. Dr cert is out of date will have to get a new one! Back to Dr, upload again.

Check in two weeks later, numerous attempts on the phone, eventually get through and told it's being issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

thid donsent mention online untill the last step, stop being a twat, either do it in person, or follow theses steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have an account, a PSC, but I can't renew online, keeps failing???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You only need those to do it online.
    Book an appointment with any NDLS office and you don’t need anything extra.

So to answer the question at hand, no nothing complicated. You just have use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

its wild simple…went online,booked appointment that suited me,strolled into the office a few minutes early(have your booking number handy) looked at the board with the numbers on,went to the window,took longer to exchange pleasantrys with the lad behind the counter then to renew the license…job done in about 5 minutes..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

Advertisement