Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Resolved] Dispute Resolution required for 'Zero Refugee' thread.

• 28-07-2024 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to raise a dispute concerning a threadban for the 'Zero Refugee' thread issued by the moderator TenofSwords on July 18th past. I believe the threadban to be unwarranted. As per site protocol, I have endeavoured without success to politely resolve it with said moderator, to no avail. I have copied the texts relating to this below and messages.

The context for this lies in a point of view expressed by several posters in previous days that one of the benefits of increased asylum and refugee to Ireland, was that of boosting our population as Irish couples and women are not producing enough babies. This was not my POV.

In relation to above a poster called Strazdas expressed the following on July 17th
    https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122393419#Comment_122393419
    "The "great replacement theory" is all about racism and is adhered to by white supremacists. The thing that said racists fear is not migrant workers (EU citizens for example) coming to Ireland to find employment, but white Irish people being 'replaced' by black people and Muslims."

To which I replied on July 18th addressing the points raised above

"And have you looked at the skin colour and religions of those arriving here in numbers recently as asylum seekers?? These are the people referred to in the argument that we need to import more people to make up for less Irish babies.So it looks like a 'pro asylum' stance now includes the logic that we need these people and which in turn will lead to the "great replacement theory" being realised. We have people at apparently opposite ends of an argument finding out that they actually agree on possible consequences? A turnaround for the books."

For my troubles, Moderator TenofSwords issued a threadban on July 18th, advising

"Skin color, religion and great replacement. That's a bingo, plus you have received a ridiculous amount of warnings in this thread already. Do not post in this thread again."

There were no threadbans issues to either poster Strazdas or other related posters promoting the above idea of population boosting.
    Assuming Moderator TenofSwords had acted on impulse and without examining context, I appealed this the following day July 19th by personal message.

"Excuse me, I was clearly replying to the poster called Strazdas, it was they who referred to the "great replacement theory" and 'white Irish people being 'replaced' by black people and Muslims'. I asked them if they had looked at the 'skin colour and religions. I certainly wasn't raising this "great replacement theory" in the first place as it's a known touchy area. Have you also thread banned Strazdas? I would ask you to revoke this threadban, if you don't mind."

And following no reply, two days later again on July 21st

"I am patiently awaiting a reply on this matter. I've asked you to review and revoke this threadban as it makes no sense. I am one of the more moderate and considered posters of those active on this thread. I am very careful to always address the post, to avoid criticising openly any particular poster and I deal with the issues raised in a reasonable way. In this instance as I've pointed out, I am replying in like terms to another poster who has raised the matters you object to. The correct procedure here is that I contact you firstly to clarify matters and that I am doing, kind regards."

Moderator TenofSwords does reply after a few days on July 24th

"Since the start of May (roughly 90 days ago) you have picked up 8 warnings in that thread - including the above warning and threadban. By any metric that is taking the piss in a big way, most posters are threadbanned much sooner than that. Your threadban will not be lifted, and based on the content of the above post I am not overturning the warning. Kind regards"

To which on July 25th I reply

"Ah thanks for reply. That's fine and we shall seek further guidance on the matter."

There has been no further guidance on the matter from Moderator TenofSwords, hence I am raising this dispute.
    Firstly the subject matter of the original discussion was pertinent & relatedd to the thread imho and that of others who participated in it. Secondly I was the only poster to receive a threadban and that only for repeating what another poster outlined. Thirdly said moderator justified this ban on the basis of 'a ridiculous amount of warnings' and then claims '8 warnings on this thread'. I would dispute this, I have received the odd warning but for entirely petty matters concerned with semantics. In truth I'm one of the moderate posters on that thread, taking care to address the points raised, avoiding directly criticising other posters and avoiding anecdote. All matters routinely flouted and ignored by others.

Therefore I would like this matter reviewed as I believe the threadban to be unwarranted and that said moderator was not reviewing my post in the context of previous remarks and making decisions coloured by their own views. I would also observe that the tone of said moderators comments are disrespectful to an active member of Boards.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you disputing the warning on the thread or just the threadban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Thanks for reply. As one leads to the other, I'm disputing both as I believe this thread ban to be unwarranted.

I'm happy to put my hands up if I err but I believe I have posted well within an acceptable manner on this thread.

I tend more to one side of the debate than the other on the whole but I believe that different viewpoints are accommodated on boards threads, as long as they are phrased with care.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

@ancapailldorcha @Ten of Swords if you could please review then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No problem.

I thought threadbans were a HelpDesk matter, no? Happy to proceed otherwise.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Bump..

• Advertisement

Bump again… I'm a patient and tolerant person on the whole, happy to observe the correct guidelines.

Which I have followed to a T.

Is it too much to expect that moderators will deal with this dispute in a timely manner?

@Spear

There's a warning on this one, not just a threadban, so yes, if you could please proceed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the communication between yourself and the moderator. It really makes things easier.

I am going to uphold this. You've had several warnings in that thread for racist posting and this is just another example. Since the beginning of May, you've had 10 sanctions on this site which is a very high number.

Your comment is clearly in support of the great replacement theory, a notorious white supremacist and racist conspiracy theory. Since you were already warned about racist posting, I can't justify overturning this since you've repeatedly flouted this warning.

Please let me know if you want an admin to review.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this. It's interesting that you offered to review the matter, since you and I have disagreed on certain political topics - perhaps you should have recused yourself??

Yes I would like an admin to review. Since in my view several of these 'warnings' you refer to are very good examples of moderators imposing their own views on what is acceptable comment and what isn't, regardless of boards guidelines. That a moderator accuses me of being racist (which I'm not) or posting 'off topic' (which I don't) means nothing more than that this is their personal view. It's got nothing with guidelines below.

There is good general advice i.e. 'don't be a dick', address the post and not the poster, keep things relevant. These are all matters that I consider. I believe there is a prevailing trend of moderators not acting in an even handed way. Therefore I would like this matter and if necessary all previous 'sanctions' reviewed by an admin in the light of guidance of how posters should contribute to boards. Thank you.

@Spear, The OP has requested an admin review. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Far too many warnings on the same thread to overturn this. Warning upheld.

@Furze99 - you have amassed 25 mod actions in 2024 alone. You have been spoken to before about your soapboxing of threads.

The next mod action you pick up is going to come with a ban attached.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement