Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get into pole fishing

• 28-07-2024 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys don't know how popular this section is but just looking at getting into pole fishing. I fish mainly canals and fisheries with carp. I am just wondering as I have seen it to be popular, also seems to be expensive start up.Is it tricky to get used to and what are things i should be looking out for when purchasing a pole, like what length pole you would recommend and is telescopic any good? Also if this has been spoken about already I will happily head over to that thread

Thanks for any answers

Post edited by CromAbu97 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd go a sectional pole rather than telescopic as they are more flexible in changing length. Easier to drop a few sections than try fish with a length behind you and partially collapsed telescopic its messy.

Other thing to look for it weight, the lighter the pole the easier it is for the day, you'd be surprised how much a heavy pole kills your back unless you are running it through pole runners which are an extra cost and if its a canal, runners will block the towpath.

What sort of distances are you looking to fish ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

If you are mainly fishing Canals a 12.5 Meter pole will cover you for most situations. Don't go near telescopic they are much heavier and awkward. Best thing to do is try your local tackle shop and see if they have anything decent second hand so you can get used to it for less expense.

Also if you know anyone that already pole fishes try get a trip out with them to run you through the do's & don'ts. Personally speaking it's my favourite way to fish.

21/25

Advertisement