Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scam on Facebook marketplace

• 29-07-2024 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My friend bought a phone for €12 a few weeks ago and it never arrived. He messaged the seller but isn't getting a response. He's wondering whether it's worth reporting it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes report it as you dont know if they are pulling a fast one and others were also in the same boat.

No tracking or registered i guess been so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From my experience, it's not worth your while reporting the scam ads in the first place so I can't see you getting anywhere when you've actually been scammed.

I've reported several obvious scams in the past couple of months and they refused to do anything about them. One claimed to be a Transport for Ireland (TFI) ad for a 12 month unlimited travel Leap Card for about €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've reported that ad and the page running the ad and nothing was done. Their solution was to suggest blocking it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I reported that scam aswell. Got a message the other day saying they have no reason to remove it. I e mailed bus Eireann and they said they've been trying to get that ad removed for over a year with no help from FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

E12 for a phone? that should have been a red flag right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For those who are not familiar with the typical response you get from FB when you report an obvious scam, below is the boilerplate (copy & paste) response I got today following my reporting (for the second time) a fake ad for a Leap Card with unlimited travel for 12 months for €2.

The main problem with the process is that you do not get an opportunity to state exactly why the ad is a scam. In this case, as with the scam the OP's 'friend' fell for, it's quite simply that the price is too good to be true. Because that would require FB to pay people to read users' contributions. It's much cheaper to automate the process and basically tell everyone to sod off.

We didn't remove the ad

Thanks again for your report. This information helps us improve the integrity and relevance of advertising on Facebook.We use a combination of technology and human reviewers to process reports and identify content that goes against our Advertising Standards. In this case, we did not remove the ad that you reported.If you think that we've made a mistake, you can request a review of this decision within 180 days.

We understand that this might be frustrating, so we recommend influencing the ads that you see by hiding ads and changing your ad preferences. Learn more about how we take action on reports like yours.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement