Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan cracks down on use of rideable electric suitcases amid tourist boom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

With battery and motor they must weigh quite a bit - take up a chunk of the baggage allowance before any typical holiday items!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How lazy are people becoming? 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tourists really are testing the Japanese patience. Gas thing is, you really, really don't want to deal with the Japanese authorities. They have something like a 98% conviction rate. For a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's because you automatically guilty (especially as a tourist) not because they are very good at solving crimes.

Always wondered how these suitcases are allowed on planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I've not been to Japan yet but its next on my list for a far away journey, so I have started my research. I also did Judo when I was younger and so I know, respect is a central tenant of Japanese culture. Respect in your dealings with people, even strangers is expected.

Whizzing past someone on a sidewalk would be considered the height of ignorance. Add in people using their phone while on their motorised form of transport and I would imagine it results in manys a collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They can hold you forever for a crime before even charging you. And they can do it for each crime they suspect you off. So if they hold you for a few months for one crime, they can make up another and hold you for that as well. Since they never have to actually charge you, it doesn't matter what they say it is. So most people plead guilty because even if you didn't do it, you're out of jail faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I love how this cutting edge Japanese technology has only given rise to problems due to foreigners not abiding by the rules

Truly the Japanese are a better class of people

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I've been to Japan. We stayed in the Edogawa area in Tokyo for a few nights because it's near the Disney parks and funnily enough I felt really unsafe walking there and had a few close calls as a pedestrian, cyclists came at you from every direction on footpaths, cycling dangerously fast when they were whizzing past you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coming to a motorway, cycle path or footpath near you soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I believe Japan has very strict definitions as to what counts as an E-scooter and everything else is treated like a motorbike

This is ignoring the fact that you can probably jog faster than the suitcases in question

https://www.electrive.com/2024/07/03/woman-charged-for-riding-electric-suitcase-without-license/

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the bigger risk on these things is they are usually dodgeville built and having them in the hold of a plane where they can sporadically go ablaze is idiotic, I'd ban them completely worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I am quite mobility reduced, toured Japan, including Tokyo, felt very safe crossing roads, drivers made time for me to get across. Found it all very civilised & safe but they do have a fondness for queueing for everything, lol. And plenty of quirky things like Cat Cafes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Good joke. A country where they have Japanese only signs on restaurant doors.

There are major rules on airlines re bringing them on board. Japanese Airlines & a lot of Asian neighbours say no, simple as that. And those that do allow them on board, it’s the overhead lockers only, and no long haul airliners can fit them up there, the de bodies don’t cater for significant carry-on luggage. So effectively they are very restricted and in most instances that you or I would might think of using one, as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Japan tells people NOT to be total inconsiderate bell-ends..... proper order

when I travelled to Japan a couple of years ago with an Irish travel guide, she told us of her time living in Japan in the 1960s, it was quite a different country then, but she loved living there all the same. It wasn’t clean back then, though, the way it is now. Men typically took a dump on the footpath, just like a dog, whenever the urge would strike, kacks would come down, deposit left and up and along their way, just like that. Just like a dog would. There was disease as a result of this, and the emperor took things into his hands and ordered a reform of the country in terms of hygiene & street conduct. Just shows how things can be improved in any society.

Etiquette around street conduct is now regarded as sacrosanct. You sin-ply do not walk along eating, it’s regarded like the old practice of having a dump on the pavement. You remain by the premises (eg kiosk) you bought the food if you need to eat there and then, eat discreetly and throw packing in bin provided. The idea of leaving crumbs on the street!! You certainly don’t drink alcohol in the park, and indeed you don’t show public drunkenness. I walked around Tokyo late at night, very civilised. You certainly wouldn’t be going there in your hen or stag parties, that’s for sure. I found food very reasonably priced, you could eat excellently without breaking the bank, everyone ears out there. Children are seen out with parents in city centre restaurants quite late at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Tokyo is probably my favourite holiday destination and one I visit quite frequently. I was there last year and hadn't intended on going again for a few years but with the Yen the way it is at the moment, I have been lashing Yen onto my Revolut and AnPost card (The currency fluctuating so much that you can't buy cash easily anymore) and intend on visiting again next year.

Thankfully I didn't notice many e-scooters etc last year. (Although I've done most of my tourist stuff many years ago. Last ones: Sumo and Nintendoland in Osaka and Ghibli Park in Nagoya). So f*ck Paris Hilton (What a name from the past) and their e-cases 😀. There are people with genuine mobility issues who don't need to the pain in the ass of further regulation because people want to be tw4ts. I think the drag around ones for kids you see at the airport are absolutely fine and a great idea. But to make way for someone "Coming through"? Screw 'em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm sure the tens of millions Chinese murdered by the Japanese as inferior beings in the 20th century would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

im sure they will be here soon,complete with canada-goose wearing fcukwit sitting on it..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Age of consent in Japan was 13 until a few years ago so they're really cracking down on what's rideable

Advertisement