Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in the Saddle- Maxi Scooter or Bike?

• 29-07-2024 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

Its been almost 6 years since i gave up my Pan. Currently, for commuting i need something now, unsure whether to go for the likes of a small bike, or a maxi scooter?

Saw one thread on Maxi Scooters here, but not much else in the last couple of years. Would appreciate any advice.

Full Licence etc, but would need to buy the Gear, (i am a believer in ATGATT) and on a tight budget <5k for everything, including gear. Used to go to Cotters for gear and odd tyre, and Honda in Rathmines ( GEM>?) and JP's for servicing.

I reckon i need at least 330/350 CC if going for scooter for that bit of poke if on a Motorway(rare) , my ould knees arent what they used to be so need something light enough, but with a bit of reassurance under the seat too.

Have heard some are not to so handy for servicing, lots of fairing removal etc, so looking for something relatively hassle free, thats an enjoyable ride.

Previous rides never included a scooter, I've had Pans, Deauville's, Fazers, Midnight Shadow, Varadero, i know its a drop down, but think its the best for current needs, so,- all feedback appreciated!

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Have a Bergman 650 and a BMW 1200, of the 2 the Bergman gets used 90% of the time.

If I were to get another, I would jetison the bmw and go for an xmax 300.

And of course it very much depends on what you use it for, I've gone to Cork on the scooter

and it was super.

In short I'd go for a scooter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thanks for the reply 👍

Would be using it for commuting and the odd short spins , no more Twistys for me, but also liking for something with some kind of comfort etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I stepped "down" from an SV1000 to an Xmax 250 7 years ago for commuting. No regrets. Can hit 130 on a motorway no bother. Comfy as hell. I do not miss clutching, or chain maintenance. :D

Thanks 👍

Have seen some differing opinions of B&M places selling and servicing, is it allowed to offer recommendations? ( Apologies if not )

Bray Honda seem to have good rep, when I was riding BW had an awful rep ( no interactions myself just found it expensive)

So because it's a ",step down " I thought I'd seek more feedback , appreciate it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I bought mine in MegaBikes, and have dropped it back into them for interval servicing (which I also gave up doing DIY as I wasn't loving it any more). Nice lads, reasonably priced and honest.

• Advertisement

For some reason I read this initially as the T Max. The xmax is 300 vs 509 in the Tmax isn't it? Any reason you prefer the xmax ?

There's a few I'm looking at and they all have differentiators

Forza

Xmax / Tmax

ADV and X-Adv

Burgman don't do 650 anymore ( I think 🤔)

Kymco?

And yet there's a lack of mid size scooters available 😕

Half considering going up north or somewhere abroad but unsure the savings would be enough considering budget is so low.

I'd rather support a local B&M and/or local person 👍

EDIT: I need to get my arse into megabikes. For a start !

Post edited by thebullkf on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I've an itch for the Honda X-ADV. I've been looking in Germany at used ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

A mate of mine has a couple of bikes and a Honda sh300 scooter. He commutes on the scooter exclusivley. I had an xmax 300 after nearly 30 years on bikes, loved the twist and go but hated the handling, got a Honda nc 750 with DCT and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

I'm a bit late to the party due to a all out ban.

I have a tmax 500 and it's a decent bike but I don't like the CVT transmission, I recently got a lesson on the instructors CBF600 and it was a far better bike, loved the manual gears and the sound as you're going through the gears, all you get from CVT makes the engine just buzz at you constantly.

Great for pulling hard out onto main roads, out at roundabouts fast etc but other than that I do not like scooter CVT.

My tmax 500 is a 2007 and it got a full service last week and new tyres so if anyone is interested in one I will be putting it up for sale.

I would say though that for city commutes the Xmax 300 would be better as it would be smaller and lighter the Tmax 500 is a tank and really surprised me how big it is, I can't flat foot it either.

I use it for learning and touring, it's decent but the handling on the CBF600 was a lot better and it was more comfortable. It did give me great experience being new to biking but on rural roads I want something with better handling and comfort.

As dubdamo said above, NC750x, it would be leaps and bounds better than any CVT, in my opinion of course and it would be more economical having basically what's a manual box with 2 clutches.

Not in a million years would I pay for a new or even a couple year old Tmax they are an insane price, the NC750X DCT would be far better value and a far better bike.

To be honest and laugh all ye want but for city riding I'd ride the CUB 125 all day long, gorgeous bike, semi auto.

When Honda's Eclutch becomes available it will be a game changer, full use of clutch if you want and no clutch if you don't want a bit like the Cub 125.

The other thing is that Scooter CVT needs belts and rollers to be changed and if using original parts isn't cheap, never get cheap belts. Bikes like the Cub 125 need none of this or the DCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

An SV1000N or an S? The SV is a great bike but lets itself down with clutch judder (unless you fit the aftermarket clutch basket) below 3000 rpm which is where a twin is supposed to shine.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

I've hired 250s and 400s for two-up riding, and Greek island roads aren't always the best either. Not a problem. The complete lack of engine braking is something that 'conventional' bikers need to get used to, though. Also don't grab the left lever, it's not a clutch 😉

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

The Tmax 500 has quite a bit of engine braking.

Was out on it again this evening, I think I was a bit harsh on it in my comment earlier, it's a good bike for sure, comfortable on long rides too, suspension is a bit harsh but gives it a sporty ride I suppose. It's quite fast too.

By comparison, this afternoon I was on instructors new CF Moto 700 CLX and it's a very well built bike, handles great, it has wide handlebars and the mirrors are decent, nice suspension and it has a nice exhaust note, I enjoyed that, the tmax emits a really loud buzzing that gets in your head.

The indicators on the CF moto were annoying as I found it hard to turn them off.

I wouldn't buy it though, I preferred the instructors Honda CBF600, more comfortable and a generally nicer looking bike to me.

When I got back on the tmax 500 it felt a whole lot more comfortable, after 2 hrs on the CF moto I felt like I wanted to get off for a rest but I could ride 2 hrs + on the tmax and not want to get off it. If I could only flat foot it. I still wouldn't pay the money for a new Tmax though, that's bonkers but a NC750X manual version maybe and it's available in automatic, a proper manual with 2 clutches which would be better than CVT and a lot more economical.

Thanks all, seems I need to do a bit of B&M shopping.

Lots of work to do -

Id forgotten how big my noggin is 😂 so probably need to look at lids (;Schuberth maybe.?)

Also need to find a lid that allows a pair of specs under it too 🙈

Also my old Dainese J &T I donated back a while, so there's that too.

Appreciate all the advice , so thanks 👍

I've never had a helmet where accommodating glasses or sunglasses is a problem. It's not exactly a niche issue 😉

OP any update ? I'm looking to sell the Tmax 500 if you're interested, you probably found something by now but the more I think about it the more i'd probably get something like an older scooter due to better weather protection and you're not really going to care about riding it in winter. Maybe have something nicer then for the sunny weekend runs.

The Tmax 500 really does have a decent bit of poke too. Faster than most family cars out there.

You must have a regular size head 😂. Got a regular Shark lid which does the job better than some of the Shoei / LS2 / Bell lids I tried. Some grooves are more equal than others 👍

SORRY mad_lad, I meant to update previously, I did indeed get sorted, was torn between an ADV750. Vs 350 vs C650 .

Ended up going for the 350 , perfect for commuting, although there is some buyers remorse vs the 750, unfortunately mainly budget dictated decision). Very happy with it though.

Did you buy new ? how much ? did you check out the NC750x ? or was the better weather protection the reason for buying ?

They are rare to find 2nd hand same as the Tmax but the tmax 500 has 40 Hp and is pretty decent but if not on the open road much probably wouldn't notice vs the 28 Hp ADV 350.

THe 750 would have been really great with the Dual clutch and 54 Hp ! That's 14 More Hp than the Tmax but I don't like the CVT transmission.

Looking out now for a Deauville 700 something like that or maybe CBF600 with the factory panniers and top box. The suspension on the tmax 500 is very harsh, the smaller wheels probably doesn't help, on good roads it's fine though.

Mainly budget restrictions dictated the decision on 350 vs 750.

Having said that, for my needs ( 95% commuting) it's better than the 750, lighter, more agile, easier for filtering tbh.

Small wheels definitely make a difference

Have had Deauville previously, fantastic. Longer distance commute , comfortable high riding position etc.

Had Pan too, same as above but better.

Varadero and Fazer much lighter and a blast but not conducive to commuting as opposed to the Pan / Deauville.

I am on the lookout for Deauville 700 or CBF600 with factory panniers.

A mate of mine has the Pan European 1300, lovely bike but a big heavy beast and it's a little on the tall side for me but having said that when he set the seat to the lowest position it wasn't bad at all vs the Tmax 500 which has me on my toes and I don't like that. it's uncomfortable at lights and in traffic, the pan would actually be better but 1300 ffs lol.

I do find the suspension on the 2007 tmax 500 rough as f1ck on rough roads and it's quite uncomfortable but on decent roads it's a lot of fun.

Interesting to see that the ADV 750 gets around 6L/100 km manufacturers claim, probably less in reality, that's not fantastic, your 350 will probably do a lot better. The old 2007 Tmax 500 gets 50 odd MPG ( 5.6 l /100 KM ) which I think is pretty decent.

By the way, which Deauville did you have the 640 or 700 and how did you find it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I met a guy at a petrol station in Limerick a while back, and he was on a new Forza 350. Very, very nice. Turned out he had traded in a NT700 against it, and felt the 350 was a better bike for his current needs.

The Forza 750s are geat but they are expensive, not that economical, and are fond of rear tyres….

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Take a very close note of what is included in any price you get. She goes back on her word.

In my opinion if someone wants an automatic twist and go they'd be far better off on the NC750x DCT, no maintenance vs CVT transmission and it will probably be just as economical with much greater power than the 300 odd cc scooters.

The issue with scooters too is that they offer a very harsh ride on back roads or less than perfect surfaces, I ride the Tmax which is a big scooter but even the 15 inch wheels on that and it's suspension don't offer good ride quality on less than perfect roads, it is fast though.

As a pure city bike though the xmax and forza would be fine but why limit yourself when you could take off on a normal bike with more comfort especially on the long rides ? though on the flip side of that you can still go anywhere on the 350 cvt twist and go too.

Ive had two "Dullvilles" , loved both, 700. Loved the Pan too. But for current needs the smaller bike is so agile and squeezes in everywhere. It's a trade off.

All true, but I use it purely for commuting ( at the busiest times) has given me the goo for riding again for sure, but I'm at stage where it's needs must first.

Well sure that's it, but good to get you back on the saddle alright and you can still take it out on long spins too.

I think the 350 was a sensible option and it will be more fuel efficient, the ADV 750 isn't very fuel efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

ive owned two xadv / adv 750's, they are fuel efficient. So i am speaking from owner experience, long term.

I never had an issue covering ground abroad. using manual mode they use more fuel, but using auto mode - drive , they are more frugal than manual gear changing.

Advertisement