Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Plant

• 29-07-2024 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

This may not be the right forum for this post.

My wife loves plants but unfortunately she struggles to keep them alive regardless of the care and attention she gives them.

This plant has defied the odds and has survived for a few years.

Unfortunately, it appears to be on the way out.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to help her save this poor thing, and my wife's last shread of hope in her ability to keep a plant alive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Swop it out for a plastic one. Say nuthin’!!!

😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its far from beyond hope. Is it being overwatered? While Monsteras like humidity on their leaves they don't like being overwatered. Allow the soil to dry out on top before re-watering. Once a week should be loads. A little feed is appreciated, but not much, I rarely feed my houseplants, maybe once or twice in the summer.

You could repot it and take the chance to look at the roots. They should be firm and white, if there are any that are soft and black then it is being overwatered or the compost is too water retentive. Remove any black roots and repot it it in a one or two size bigger pot, use compost with a lot of fibre for free drainage.

Maybe pull the table forward away from the curtain to give it a bit more light - they don't like bright sunlight but they do need light, and a reasonably warm spot. They are pretty tough though and that one looks ok on the whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thank you for that information.

Should it be watered from the top or the bottom? How much water is enough, and how often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How to water - I generally water from the top but there are recommendations to water from the bottom. You could also plunge it - put the pot into a large container with enough water to go most of the way up the pot, then leave it for 20 minutes. Lift it out and let it drain a bit before putting it back on its saucer.

Any water that has not soaked up within half an hour or so, pour it off, but then don't water again until you can feel that the top couple of inches of compost in the pot is dry. Once a week should be more than enough - it will dry out a bit quicker in the summer, in the winter it may not even need it that often, it depends on how warm you keep your house. A lot of my plants often go three or four weeks in the winter without watering.

Watering is not a cure all, in fact it can rot the roots and then it will kill the plant; it will survive getting a bit dry better than being too wet.

As with all things plant-related there are exceptions to these rules, but most common plants will be ok treated like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

That's great, thanks so much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement