Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Play again

• 29-07-2024 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Slow Play has become a real problem in our club and seems to be getting worse.

Years ago, it was always blamed on the older guys, but now the juniors and juveniles seem to be going the same way.

If you are not out before 8am, you could be almost 5 hours out there….

Has your club been successful in tacking same? Our committee are looking to gather ideas from members

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭newport2

Same with ours, hence I'm usually out first or second. Sunday's particularly bad.

I wouldn't blame any particular group, there's slow players young and old, low and high handicaps.

One of the issues we face in tackling it is that some of the slowest players in the club are on the committee…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭willabur

the only solution is course rangers, not very practical though

• Registered Users Posts: 24 animajic

This is maybe a bit of a tangent but I tend to play as a solo quite a bit (usually at quieter times like evenings and late afternoons on the weekends) and I catch up with groups quite a bit enough, not that I'm racing around but I'm going at average pace. More often than not for whatever reason I am rarely asked if I want to play through and can be waiting on every shot for nearly every hole of a round. There are plenty that do let me play through but also I encounter more that just don't bother or maybe think to ask.

I get if you're in a comp or there's groups ahead of them too, but that's rarely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whelo7688

You can most times pin-point the players who will be slow. We had an issue at the weekend of standing around at nearly every tee-box and we teed off before 8am. A 3 ball had fallen about a hole and a half behind after 5 holes.

Very frustrating when the club knows who the culprits are but nothing is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Russman

Honestly, from what I've seen in the last year or so, its much more of an entitled attitude of "I've paid my money, I'll take as long as I like…….", that, and the slowest players never actually think they're slow or that whats is slow play is in fact, slow.

The debate usually ends up with people suggesting simple ways to move faster being accused of wanting to "run" around the course bla, bla. Its fairly simple though, be ready to hit when its your shot and leave your bag in the correct place for walking off the green.

Communication is probably the only thing a club can do, put up signs on, say, the 7th tee with time target(s) for 6 holes, 10th tee for 9 holes etc and hope that maybe 1 player in a group is aware and notices and encourages his group to move along.

I think I've seen or heard of some clubs doing something with the computer and checking in where times are published or time limites are used, honeslty can't remember but I'm sure I've heard a discussion about using sign-in and score entry times as a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

Slow play, divots and pitch marks are always problems. It's rare to have a comp less than 4h15m in a 4ball in my local. 4h30m is slow but relatively normal for a medal when balls are going astray.

I don't think there's anything you can do but keep reminding members through emails, signs and taking individual ownership. The onus is on members to police it themselves within whatever groups they land in. When I say police I mean encourage better behaviour.

There was a funny car park argument between two senior golfers not too long ago in my club. One told the other (who was one group ahead) quite plainly that he was slow and needed to pick up the pace (post round). He took umbrage to the accusation and kicked off. There wasn't anything physical but it got testy. Easy to see it happen with some personalities. Both lads are decent tbf just proud of their convictions.

If you take on a discussion like this with some individuals during a round/comp you can be made out to be at mind games or putting someone off. Similar to the barny in the previous paragraph, people generally avoid confrontations where possible. I keep it as simple as saying we've lost a hole or 1/2 a hole on the group ahead and need to move along or step aside for the next group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Lads with a handicap of 16 staring through a range finder and then landing it 30 feet short. 4 practice swings on the tee. Lads taking a minute to “read” a putt.

Real problem.

Reading greens like DJ/Berger or a million Harman pre-shot waggles is clearly a pain in the hole but it's rare.

However, I disagree entirely with your take on rangefinders - it takes about 3s to grab a laser and tag the flag. Add 1-2s more if you zap a bunker etc. If anyone has a GPS watch/cart it's the same story and not all clubs have colour-coded Front/Middle/Back flags. Amateur golfers won't hit the ball flush 100% of the time and you guessed it… They'll often end up short. I'm very much in the camp of letting someone take a couple of seconds extra to lock in a committed shot. They're far less likely to rush the strike into cabbage and slow up play... if you wanted to stand over everyone with a stopwatch they.

The biggest time wasters are simple and some are easy to speed up: Talking and not being ready > leaving clubs in the wrong place > marking cards standing on a green after putting > and ridiculous ceremonial pre-shot routines. Rangefinders/GPS are not even in the ball park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not ready to hit

Slow routines

And general bullshit that goes on, on greens ..making very very very little difference to outcome , has almost driven me away from this game ...well.4 balls in particular.

All rounds should be below 4 hours [ or just over ] .but amateurs and Irish in particular..have gone way too deep taking this game way too seriously. People think they are pros in a bog standard event.

Something has gone a bit wrong with whs , lifestyle changes and general golf culture in Ireland.

But, you can always find the same minded golf and group that suits you

There are other formats of golf...but Irish have a mad relationship with golf...

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

WHS definitely an extra contributor to the problem.

Old system, with a cap of 28 shots meant even the worst golfers were picking up a little earlier.

Now people with in some cases 3 shots on holes.

4-balls are part of the problem, my place plays 3-balls in all singles comps at the weekends, and would be rare for a medal to go beyond a 4hr round, even when playing with someone shooting 110+

Agree that common sense stuff is actually a big part of it. Ready golf, play a little out of sequence if needed. Hit your shot, then help your partner look for a ball. Park in the right spots at the green. No need to stand on the green and take the card out to mark it straight away, you can get to the next tee box and do it.

One thing I do that helps is I have laser and GPS. If I've hit it further than playing partners and can't go to my ball. I'll laser from their spot and move the flag on the green on my GPS to that distance so when I get to my ball, I can just quickly check the GPS and its already showing the correct distance.

My biggest bug-bear these days isn't so much around pace as it is around maintenance. Pitch mark repairs, yes, but my place seems to have gone ridiculous for people not raking bunkers when they're done, it's infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Leaving clubs in the wrong place, standing around marking cards etc. - those are or should be easy to sort. i think the problems are more fundamental and relate to how far lads hit the ball combined with the shot and distance penalty for a lost ball.

There are a considerable number of mediocre and bad golfers these days who can hit the ball a long way. Short par 4s are within reach. Also, in my club, 30 years ago, the best and longest player in the club was hitting driver-3 wood to the longest par 5. Now, there are a number of 10-20 handicappers who can hit driver-4 iron or driver-5 iron. They'll wait for the green to clear - then likely spray the ball into trees or rough. They don't fall behind the group in front because the group in front is having the same issues on the next hole.

If someone is hitting 200 yard drives and the clubface is off by x degrees, they might be on the edge of the fairway. if someone else is off by the same degrees and hitting 250 yards, it could be a lost ball.

Imagine how slow the pros would be if they didn't have volunteers in the vicinity of where their balls were landing to scurry over and find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Break80

Had this issue last week. 4 ball in front lost nearly 2 holes after 6 holes.

Experienced golfers but known to be slow. We had a 2 ball behind us and 4 balls backing up behind them. One of our 4 ball said it to 1 of them as we were walking up to the green.

The answer he got was "we are going fine, ye need to slow down"

Where do you go from there?

In fairness they kinda caught up for a while but fell back again by the end of the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not in our place. Last week 4ball in 3:40 in our weekly open comp and the course was pretty full. Open comp can often be slower due to visitors, but thats fair I think when someone doesnt know the course. We do have one of the lads going around in a cart during open days though and I think that helps.

Sundays are 3balls anyway and it's hardly ever more than 3:40. Maybe on medal/strokes days but most of the time not even then. Our membership is fairly hardcore on pace. If you fall back a hole on a Sunday you'll be told in no uncertain terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭token56

I'm quite lucky that by default our course has people go out in 3 balls unless the competition format requires 4 balls. 4 hours would be a long round at mine, 3:30 is generally achievable. Playing in other courses where it takes 4+ hours feels like torture to me to be honest. I don't know how people would do it week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I've been playing golf for 30 years now, and I just hit my 40th birthday. Low single figure golfer, and would have played off scratch or +1 for a long time. Was down at the club in Galway I played thousands of rounds at when I was a teenager. It hasn't changed too much; added 400 metres in total off the back pins.

Headed out with the uncle and cousins for a round. Maybe getting a little nostalgic, but would have finished a fourball in just over 3 hours back in the early 2000's.

Phones, banter, range finders, GPS carts and watches. I couldn't give a shít about a lad going out for the first, second or third time and taking 144 shots to finish the round. Hack away in the trees. It's the lads shooting between 18 and 4 who are obsessed with their latest driver and the new technique they read about on youtube.

Will you just hurry up and use the club you've chosen to hit the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

A 3 hour four-ball. I'll what's he's having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭OEP

A fourball in just over 3 hours is ridiculously quick. You'd have to be consciously trying to play as fast as possible to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

I remember in my junior days we'd get around the 18 in 3 hours in threeballs. But once we got into the adult comps it was fourballs and closer to four hours was the norm. But back then, the course was shorter, people weren't hitting it as far (so not finding trouble as often), there was less trouble to find - smaller and fewer bunkers, less water. I'd say if we went back to the old courses with the old equipment we'd have similar length rounds. Although the one thing I wonder is - have golfers gotten older? Because on average we don't get faster with age. I'd hazard a guess, that's added 15 minutes to rounds too.

If you can avoid getting worked up over it, that's the best action. Within reason, a round being a bit slow isn't the worst thing in the world. If you're rushing to get somewhere after, you're a fool for not factoring in the round potentially being slow. Obviously when rounds start getting closer to 5 hours it's a different story.

Tbf 3hrs is seriously rapid going, I've only seen that sort of pace in a singles match or casual 2-3 ball on a handful of times. The fastest lads in my club are 1 group of older gents who played the course 1000's of times. They have the club in hand walking up to every tee position and distance marker as it's automatic for them. They ask one question every so often which is, does the "yoke" (laser) say front or back pin? Only one of them is capable of hitting it 200+ yds. Each shot is 150-180yds in play, rarely in any trouble and then a short wedge/chip. Autopilot golf and the consistency is seriously impressive.

The ball gets hit in <5s and the trolley is almost moving before the backswing finishes. If you ask them post round how it went, it's 95% of the time followed with this same answer: "Shite, too slow took more than 4 hours". They're unhappy if a round is >3h45m which is every round where they're not out in the first two groups.

I agree there's now a large element of youtube/PGA coverage embedded into the game along with manufacturers feeding into it. Most sports aren't immune to this type of change. Even 5aside has been full of it for a good while… €200 flashy boots and lads trying moves outta fifa off their playstation. Most who never played a real match in their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

2 hour 25 for 9 holes today .

Crazy stuff, I know summer golfers out and rough is up.

I was kinda watching everything...lads genuinely on their summer holidays ..not in any rush

But Look, maybe they are right and will have a long happy life.

Summer golf just has a different vibe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bobster453

Whats the hurry?

If you got to rush off somewhere you shouldnt be playing as its in your head.

Granted 5 hours is mad for a game.4 to 4.15 is normal.

Relax..enjoy the scenery..listen to the birds.

Life is too short to be rushing around.

It will still be there when you finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

I think 4 balls can be main issue

Then leaving bag at far side of green (easy fix)

and people looking for balls (nobody I see abides by 3 minute rule here!

I agree with Fix, us Irish take are golf way to seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd love a practicable idea for enforcing the 3 minutes. I've seen outrageous searches for balls. But unless you've timed it you can't really call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In principal I agree with that sentiment. I think there is an overdoing this 'slow play' agitation thing. You're there to play a ball game and enjoy being outdoors and not try to find fault over every little thing. Some people act like they cant get quick enough off the course. In some cases I suspect thats actually true. As in can't wait to get to the 19th. ;)

But if you're permanently waiting, thinking what are those people in front of us doing?, then it can be become a nuisance quickly.

There is a good middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soverybored1878

Exactly this. There is a middle ground. You can't go out on a Saturday/Sunday early doors and expect to get round in 3hrs 30. but there are people who can take the piss.

I played a comp last week and it was 4hrs 40. Not ideal but you have to plan for it and enjoy it as best you can. It's difficult to keep focus if you're waiting on the tee or in the fairway for a few minutes but getting angry about it will make that even worse.

We're lucky to be able to play this game and I love it so I'm going to make the most of it, enjoy being outside and meeting new people. At least that's how I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree there's definitely a middle ground alright, I suppose finding it is the issue ! Personally, I think 4hr 40m is totally off the wall, literally no excuse for it. I get that there's a bigger picture and we're talking about 1st world problems, but I can't see why sub 4hrs isn't easily achievable almost all the time. Its not like that's particularly quick or that anyone would have to "rush" to get round in under 4hrs.

There's also perception too I find. I've had rounds that have felt like we casually strolled around, totally taking our time and it was 3hr 15m or something, and I've had rounds that were close to 4h and felt like we were moving well. Even how you're playing will impact on how you feel about the pace of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭willabur

like everyone else we have the same problem in our place.

A couple of months ago I was 2 groups behind one of the guys who I know to be particularly slow. We ran into the log jam around the 7th hole. By the time we got to the 10th we were able to see over alot of the course. The offending group were putting on the 11th with the group in front teeing off on the 14th. I recorded the positions of the various groups and times, then did the same when we were playing the 14th we could see there was a group playing the 18th and the offending group was teeing off on the 15th. Send it all into the committee who in turn sent out letters to the offending group.

They just blamed each other, would not take any responsibility at all themselves.

So even when confronted with clear, independent evidence of slow play they would not accept that they were the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads who's drives went 230 yards waiting on the green to clear even though they're 350 yards out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bobster453

Yep.

Thankfully I dont have that problem

ReadyGolf is my middle name.

No fear of me overshooting a green so no sense in trying😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

I've played up to Par 5's, knowing I wont make it, coming up 30/40 yards short, only for the group on the green to wait beside the green so they can give out to me for playing up while they were on the green. I knew I wasnt getting there but still complained and waited for me to do so..

Advertisement