Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's picking up the bill for all the burned out asylum seekers accommodation?

• 29-07-2024 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I really don't want this to be another thread about the rights or wrongs of migration or IPAs per se. If you have opinions on those please take them to the other conversations.

I'm actually very curious to know who's actually paying for all the burned out property either designated for housing asylum seekers, or rumored to be, over the last few years. I'd guess the cost must be pretty huge at this point.

My own guesstimate as to what would happen is that the first couple of arson attacks were covered under general commercial insurance with the cost picked up eventually by other policy holders.

After that what happens? Are insurers quoting for or covering property like this anymore? I'd think hardly. I'd guess the state must be providing guarantees when it signs contracts. But what happens to ordinary businesses when the insurance industry deems their property might be the subject of rumours, people with rural hotels, etc.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

We all pay. Very simple. Scumbags do the damage in "our name". They don't work to a large extent (I am sure some do, but most are just opportunists), so we pay for it all... Either indirectly in tax or increased insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

George Soros and the lads

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

It's not the self declared "patriots" doing it that's for sure.

If anyone convicted of these arson attacks had a lien on their wages or welfare to pay for the restoration of the damaged property then I've a feeling it wouldn't take long for them to roll over on their fellow heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's gotta be a massive cost though at this point I'd think.

If it's increasing the cost of accommodation by even 25%, within a few years it'll come to half a billion.

And I'd think it's far more than 25%, and that's even before AGS costs.

I'd be very interested if someone did a study to put a figure on all this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Insurance will be paying out but they'll be hiking their premiums as a result. Therefore, everyone will end up paying in a roundabout way.

I don't know the ins and outs of insurance regulation in Ireland but I doubt they can withhold coverage because the genuine concerns folks might turn up and burn a building to the ground. Much higher premiums and inflated accommodation costs are the certain result, IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Same people who pay to bring and house the refugees. Taxpayer.

The profits reaped by construction companies and hotels? They don't go to the taxpayer those go straight back to the hedge funds. Taxpayer money on tap, and the taxpayer pays for it all. We're getting taken for a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it'll be a large cost all right but if the government is providing accomodation themselves rather than paying for 4 star hotels all over the country, at least it should work out cheaper than it has up to now.

in fairness, if Ireland was still a rural backwater like it was in the 1980s with record unemployment (as opposed to record tax income, record number in employment, 2nd richest country in europe etc) nobody would be coming and there'd be no bill for this accomodation.

That would be a far better scenario. The Albania of the atlantic with no immigration, mass emigration, but at least the far right have their ethnically pure long dole queues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

of the first 19 that appeared in court for the first day in coolock only 2 had jobs.

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We do not need another thread on refugees/asylum seekers

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement