Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doblo van insufficient oil pressure

• 29-07-2024 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads.

Just had my 2015 fiat doblo van serviced.

143k miles on the clock and well minded.

Drove it down from the north today (so engine was very warm). Coming through Dublin city and it came up "insufficient oil pressure turn off engine"

I did that and 5 minutes later it came up again. I stopped for 15 minutes and within 30 seconds it came on again. I turned the engine off and drove 5 minutes home (didn't do it in that 5 minutes).

Any idea what the problem could be? Any shouts for a decent mechanic in the D6/D12 area of Dublin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Check the oil quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi Henry. I checked the dipstick and there was plenty of oil. Oil is brand new. Literally done 200 miles from the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

Wrong grade of oil?

Good shout. I bought a fancy oil in Halfords (reduced from something like €80 to €22).

Just assumed it would be fine.

I think this was the one I bought for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

The oil brand doesn't matter. What grade was it?

99% sure it was 5w 30 as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

5W30 should be fine. Maybe wiring got disturbed when accessing the filter etc.

It was my dad's mechanic who did the oil change and he wouldn't be the most careful of men 😂

Just to add that when I turned the engine off and then on again the red engine oil light on the dash went off as normal. It's the last light to go off along with the battery light.

• Advertisement

Sorry, the picture was not showing earlier.

Petronas is a good oil.

Are you checking the oil level when cold or hot?

Best to check when cold and on level ground.

Also check the oil filter housing.

Is it screwed on properly, and not cross threaded? Is there any oil around it on the outside?

Perhaps remove the oil filter housing, check the rubber seal is in place and is good and reset and tighten.

Just checked it again about an hour ago. Engine cold and parked on level ground. Oil level was perfect on the dipstick. I'll drop it in to the guy who sells the fiat 500's in Harold's cross tomorrow as he should have some experience with Fiat.

Thanks everyone for your help 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

If coming on after sevice I would be thinking oil filter being faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Back Home

Lads thanks for all the help.

Brought it to Lynch's in Rathgar today. He flushed out the "new" oil and removed the filter. He said the oil was strange in that it seems to be very "watery" and had very little viscosity.

Replaced the oil and even the filter didn't seem great. The new filter took a better bite and tightened up perfectly. Van should be grand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Strange if it was like that after only been changed. Good quality oil and I presume you put a good quality filter on too.

Sorry to be a party popper but I'd be looking for something else, maybe oil dilution from DPF regens or something.

Also maybe keep your dad's mechanic away from your van if he's not the most careful 😅

Yeah strange one. I have to say oil is the one item I don't mind spending money on. It's literally the lifeblood of your engine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Are you sure it was the right oil?

Check the ACEA grade needed for that Doblo. I know some of the Fiat 1.6 diesels use 0w30 ACEA C2 grade rather than C3.

I'd be wondering about the oil pickup too if the pressure light comes back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

What brand was the oil filter, have seen this a lot with comline in particular (pure garbage)

Not sure what filter he used but the guy yesterday put a decent one in along with the suitable oil. Did a good few miles today and it never missed a beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

There is a huge amount of cheap crap being pedalled in the motor factors, euro car parts have their "starline" brand, many independents use comline or similar and the trouble they cause is untold

Yeah the guy in Lynch's told me the same. I think in future I might just buy the genuine parts straight from Fiat and forget about OEM parts from the motor factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Is this a 1.3.

And as for anyone saying an oil filter took a better bite is absolutely rubbish talk.

If an oil filter dosent fit you all the engine oil will come out through it.

Advertisement